PDA

View Full Version : own a 42" bannerman areator .what to tow it with?

ant
06-29-2001, 11:34 PM
i got a tow behind /3 pt. hitch aerator few years back and tryed useing a atv to tow it .it was to much for it unit got to hot.now that i got a few large areation jobs i like to get a compact tractor with a loader bucket,pto and 3 pt. hitch. what do you guys recomend? price range?
something i can tow it with my 6x12 10,000 lbs trailer.
ant

Kent Lawns
06-30-2001, 06:35 PM
It's easier to use if it's 3 pt. mounted.

The CHEAPEST way to 3pt. mount is a JD 318. You can buy a decent one for 2500-3000 (w/ 5-600 hours or so) and the Catagory 0 3 point hitch system is still available. (480.00 installed)

The next step would be something like Eric has: the JD 430.

Both the 318 and 430 are discountinued and are replaced with newer units.

The John Deeres are the only small tractors with 3 pt. hitch capacity that I could recommend.

If you went to a compact tractor (ie. 1 step up from a garden tractor) then you have a myriad of options, but you start at around 10G's for a Hydro.

ant
06-30-2001, 08:03 PM
kent thanks for the reply.
i would think that 3pt. hitch would be alot easyer then towing it.
how small of a lawn can you do with one ,say a lawn with a small degree of diffaculty?
ant

Eric ELM
06-30-2001, 08:12 PM
This spring I tried out using the diesel Chopper to tow mine since it can be used with a tongue or the 3 point hitch. I was able to cut my time in half towing it instead of using the 3 point hitch since I don't have to raise it up to go around obsticles like trees, flower beds, ect. When you use the 3 point hitch, you can not make sharp turns, only gentle ones. Mine has the split axle, so it doesn't tear up turf while I'm turning.

If I were to do small lawns with several small areas that had side walks and things like that in the way, I would use the 3 point hitch since it would be faster than getting off to raise it. I am thinking of putting a hydralic lift on mine since I can run it off of a hydro pump on the Chopper. BTW, mine is also a 42" that weighs about 300 lbs and I have had 400 lbs of weight on it to penitrate hard ground and I was able to lift it with the JD 430. I hope this helps. I have pictures of it on my equipment page if you are interested.

Kent Lawns
07-01-2001, 01:17 AM
The towing vs. 3pt. benifit has got to be on big lawns.
I can't imagine doing small lawns towing.

Ant, we have a 42", 63" and then the WB'S (Ryan LA 4)
I use the 3pt. 63" on lawns down to 5m. WB's below than generally.
We always have a LA 4 on the crew to catch the small stuff.

ant
07-01-2001, 10:15 PM
thanks for your replys
if you tow ,i think it will be a pain when you have to lift it .(driveway,curbs...
i need to try my aerator on a 3pt. before i invest in a tractor/loader
ant

Eric ELM
07-01-2001, 10:38 PM
Kent Lawns: I did say; If I were to do small lawns with several small areas that had side walks and things like that in the way, I would use the 3 point hitch since it would be faster than getting off to raise it.

The Key Word is IF. :)

I do bigger lawns, so this is why I started using the Chopper to tow it.

Ant, I have done some very small lawns with the JD and 3 point hitch in the past. It works out good on small ones unless there are lots of obsticles, then a w/b would be much better. Those w/b will wear you out in no time though compared to a tractor. :)