PDA

View Full Version : Long Island landscapers

mmacsek
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I hope I'm in the right forum but I'm sure it will be moved if it isn't. I talked to a guy today and told me he ran one of the largest landscape co.'s on Long Island about 8 years ago. The name was A to Z Landscape. Did anyone ever hear of this place? A few things didn't seem to add up but maybe I am off base. I'm curious. Thanks Matt

paponte
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Never heard of them. Did he say where he was from? I can name a couple of big players, but their areas are all relevant. :rolleyes:

lawnguy268
01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
I might have seen them around the dix hills area maybe . I see so many different companies its tough to keep track.

paponte
01-23-2007, 10:21 PM
I see so many different companies its tough to keep track.

Isn't that great! A couple stick out in my head. "Jose, Jose's, Pedro, Pedro's, Unlicensed, Uninsured, Clueless Landscaping". It truly is out of hand. :clapping:

Hollywood Landscaping
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
a big hello to all the long island landscpe co. newbie here, been in business for almost twenty years now and this winter has ben slow going so this site is great to vent and make the time go by. Paponte , do you turn them in?, where i have my route you need a permit to operate in the towns, so if i see a possible unregistered co. a quick speed dial to the local officials is an order and it works, the officials respect me and its keeps the price up, just my two cents. Also Im looking for a potential partner as after all these years, its taken its toll on me ....

Hollywood Landscaping
01-26-2007, 11:31 AM
I used to see A to Z all the time, but lately i haven t seen a truck in site, same goes for Master Lawn Care. Mike G. may he rest in peace......For some reasons God takes all the good ones

mmacsek
01-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I used to see A to Z all the time, but lately i haven t seen a truck in site, same goes for Master Lawn Care. Mike G. may he rest in peace......For some reasons God takes all the good ones

The owner of A to Z sold out and is now in the used restaurant equipment business. I am looking for shop space and he has some available. when i talked to him the tone was very arrogant because I was only looking for a thousand square ft. He told me he was the largest landscaper on Long Island. He went from loading mowers in the back of a truck to an 8 million dollar a year operation in a few years. I am not trying to stir trouble but was curious. Something didn't sound right. Thanks for the replies and have a great day. Matt

paponte
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Yes hollywood, you need to carry a home improvement license. Do you do work in Lindenhurst? Name sounds familiar, I may have even talked to you before about accounts? Ah, like said the players know who they are and all have respect for each other. We just watch the newbies come and go. I'm itching to get rolling already! :laugh:

Hollywood Landscaping
01-27-2007, 07:26 PM
hey paponte, absolutely but besides the license each town wants a permit to operate as well and lots of these fly by night companies do not posess either and therefore their overhead is less, so they charge less just to gain clientel, but i have have very loyal customers who know you get what you pay for. granted there are a fewwho are looking for the cheapest but i dont go over the top for them... the bare miniimum.. Yeah i hear ya Im dying over here..... no snow....the moneys slowed down.... just waiting to break ground.... have a great weekend

lawnboy150
03-08-2007, 04:57 PM
If any LI guys are interested or know anyone interested in buying a turn-key biz..... let me know.. I am relocating. thanks

paponte
03-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Where is your route? All in Huntington?

lawnboy150
03-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Huntington township-yes. centerport/northport/huntington/cold spring harbor.

googles
03-14-2007, 03:49 AM
a big hello to all the long island landscpe co. newbie here, been in business for almost twenty years now and this winter has ben slow going so this site is great to vent and make the time go by. Paponte , do you turn them in?, where i have my route you need a permit to operate in the towns, so if i see a possible unregistered co. a quick speed dial to the local officials is an order and it works, the officials respect me and its keeps the price up, just my two cents. Also Im looking for a potential partner as after all these years, its taken its toll on me ....

yea i work in northport area and i been seeing so many illegals starting there own companys without permit or insurance. they cant even speak english but they have lower prices. it pisses me off lol. what is the number you use to call them in???

googles
03-14-2007, 03:57 AM
I am selling about 15 to 20 houses that i take care of there lawns. if you are interested send me an email. i am down sizing and i want to get rid of some. i am not looking for much for them since i dont want them. they are all good customers who pay on time. average cost per cut on them is about $40. email me right away before there gone

JJLandscapes
03-22-2007, 11:45 PM
If any LI guys are interested or know anyone interested in buying a turn-key biz..... let me know.. I am relocating. thanks

PM details i might be able to find someone of interest

googles
03-23-2007, 12:29 AM

this may be a stupid question but what is a turn-key biz???
thanks

lawnboy150
03-23-2007, 08:27 AM
It means its ready to go...get in the truck & turn the key.....go to work & make money....

googles
03-23-2007, 11:55 PM
9ft Hiniker Heavy Duty Plow with lights. It came with truck so i don't need it. I am not looking for a lot since its just sits there. its a nice unit and the plow has the hydraulics built onto it so you don't need to have it on the truck. It also has the joystick to control the plow. It has some surface rust but all plows do.

paponte
03-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Hey Googles, let me know on the houses. As long as they are all in the same general area I would be very interested. I am looking to pick up accounts this season as long as they are grouped so I can make a day out of them. I looked at 2 "turn key" businesses this year and people think they are sitting on a gold mine meanwhile they don't have anything even close to a bee's hive.

Serious though, I am interested and have $$. Shoot me an email or call the office... thanks! :)

googles
03-27-2007, 01:59 AM
sorry it sold in 1 day after posting it and yes all houses where are grouped on blocks but sorry its gone. if i know of anyone in the area i will let you know. i still mow but i wanted to get smaller and not so many houses

BW Landscaping
03-28-2007, 12:40 AM
anyone have a thatcher to sell??? i cant stand renting please help

stevelsc1
04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
A-Z if you are a newbie fiqure it out, do you have any idea how many accounts you need to generate that gross. We Only have a 30-35 week season, lets say a good Dix Hills full service account $ 5,000.00 for the season and some extra planting $ 15,000. Add spraying lawn chemicals tree work and big landscapes $ 8,000.000.00 gross lets see the payroll records and contracts. Sounds like another big hitter that folded Fragala.

Don't get over welmed with B. S. Hitting 250 then 500 then 750 can take years of hard work and 1,000.000 the jackpot here on longIsland

mmacsek
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
A-Z if you are a newbie fiqure it out, do you have any idea how many accounts you need to generate that gross. We Only have a 30-35 week season, lets say a good Dix Hills full service account $ 5,000.00 for the season and some extra planting $ 15,000. Add spraying lawn chemicals tree work and big landscapes $ 8,000.000.00 gross lets see the payroll records and contracts. Sounds like another big hitter that folded Fragala.

Don't get over welmed with B. S. Hitting 250 then 500 then 750 can take years of hard work and 1,000.000 the jackpot here on longIsland

Steve, The conversation spelled BS from the get go but wanted to make sure. I know you have alot higher cost of living than we do but..... We are starting our 7th year full time and I know how hard I have worked to get where we presently are. We average 10% growth a year. I know what your saying and don't want my response to sound arrogant. Thanks and have a great day. Matt

stevelsc1
04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
I thought this was NY but nice to here from you:waving: We on longIsland have many big time BS artists here like any where else USA. I have been in the business since 1969 my best year was $ 1,500.000.00 and I killed myself and my crews and staff were hurting also. Just $ 8,000.000.00 in a 35 week year means you are doing about 228 gross a week in receipts who is kidding who. If you look into how much man-power and work you need to gross the
1,000.000.00 mark could you think what it takes for 8,000,000.00.

Grow small and know when to say no and you will have a healthy and profitable business, it took me the hard way to learn to say no, we are in a tight season up coming pick the cream of the crop and boot the slow and non payers to the illegals your family will like you a whole lot better and you will live longer too. I always remember this saying when I was in maintanance

you are only as good as your last cut, because you never know what olde mother nature will bring you next week:drinkup:

googles
07-13-2007, 04:58 PM
hey does anyone know the company in suffolk northport "Kirby Landscaping" does anyone have there phone number?? just post here or private message me. I think they left some equipment at a house. thanks again

paponte
07-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Name doesn't ring a bell. As far as maintenance it is a tough business on the Island. Too many companies still working fro prices I was getting 20yrs ago. Everything has gone up except for weekly maintenance charges. I find it hard to believe anyone is making real money on just maintenance unless you are selling the crap out of extras or full service accounts.

birdturd9726
08-11-2007, 01:21 AM
this Thursday i had to see 20 different landscapers around islip during drivers ed in the morning

ManorD24
08-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Posted this in the market place fourm but thought i'd post here in the local thread. Just tired of working 2 jobs and dealing with paying more out to be legal and do the right thing, with so many illegals running around......

Thinking of getting out of the business and selling off as a package deal. Dates of equipment are pretty close, I just need to find time to search through the papers.

Equipment Including:
1996 Chevy K2500 pickup with 7.5' western unimount plow, 8' del hydralics dump inset. All in good condition. Truck only as about 43,000 miles.

1996? 6.5' by 12' Doolittle open trailer, single axle

2003? Wright Stander 36" Stander, 15hp Kaw. Good + condition w/ catcher

1997? Exmark metro 48" walk behind belt drive, 14hp Kaw, good condition, new trans in 2006, w/ catcher

1995? Exmark metro 36" walk behind belt drive, 12.5hp Kaw, fair/ good condition
w/ catcher

year? Bobcat 36" walk behind belt drive, 12.5hp Kaw, havent used since 2005. Poor condition w/ catcher

1997? Fradan 8hpbriggs, ground blower, fair condition

2003? Billy Goat 18hp briggs, leaf/truck loader

2 echo pb650 backpack blowers, 1 echo srm 2100 line trimmer, echo ht20 hedge trimmer

Jerco 36" tine dethatcher, Can fit on either exmark and also use on my stander

Asking $16,500

Like i said at this time i'm only looking to sell it as a package deal, and it will be available as early as Sept. If i dont sell as a package by the end of the season i will then sell off individually this winter. Please pm with any questions.

rsingh
09-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Any of you folks doing any landscape work in my area - Farmingdale? Can you recommend any good companies in my area?

paponte
09-06-2007, 10:10 PM
rsingh, Landscape as far as installs or maintenance?

ManorD24, if you don't sell as a package I would prob be interested in machines/accounts. Let me know.

rsingh
09-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Paponte,

This would be for an install. I need a 25'x14' section of my lawn torn out, dug out to 2-3" below grade, new topsoil brought in, screeded and leveled flat.

The soil in the area was basically old construction fill and will not support grass growth properly. I've already tried working the soil to no avail. Got grass to grow, but the quality is poor, there are lots of tiny rocks showing again as the little topsoil I tried putting down has eroded. There were five trees in the area, all removed now and stumps ground down. I have a feeling that a lot of the wood chips got mixed into the soil and affected the chemical balance of the soil highly. Mushrooms, chickweed, crabgrass has all started popping up. Soil amendments and treatments have been a flash in the pan at this point. It's very hard to grow good grass in poor soil. This soil is very sandy still even with a lot of topsoil mixed in.

Anyways, this job calls for somoene with access to machinery, Bobcat or other, because it's a lot of manual digging.

I am hesitant to work with a lot of the local crews I have seen, because they seem to be just "mow & blow" type guys and can't do this work and just randomly calling someone from the Yellow Pages isn't me because I really have no benchmark to gauge the quality of their work. At least here I can engage in conversation with some business owners first.

You can consider this a RFQ for the job.

Thanks!

rsingh, Landscape as far as installs or maintenance?

ManorD24, if you don't sell as a package I would prob be interested in machines/accounts. Let me know.

paponte
09-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds to be about 4yds of top. I would be more than happy to take a look at the project for you if interested. Perfect time of year for seeding and you will have the best results now. I can be reached at any of the following, or if you would like to PM me your information. I look forward to speaking with you.

Cell: 631-252-6672
Office: 631-582-8245
Toll Free 1-866-4PAPONTE

www.papontelandscape.com

rsingh
09-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I will send you my info and I will mostly call you tomorrow as I have some other work planned as well.

I also checked out your website, very nice. That was the first place I googled.

Sounds to be about 4yds of top. I would be more than happy to take a look at the project for you if interested. Perfect time of year for seeding and you will have the best results now. I can be reached at any of the following, or if you would like to PM me your information. I look forward to speaking with you.

Cell: 631-252-6672
Office: 631-582-8245
Toll Free 1-866-4PAPONTE

www.papontelandscape.com

scaper27
10-31-2007, 11:23 PM
hey does anyone know the company in suffolk northport "Kirby Landscaping" does anyone have there phone number?? just post here or private message me. I think they left some equipment at a house. thanks again

I know this post is from a while ago, but I do know Kirby pretty well. If there was something left let me know and I will contact him with your info scaper27@optonline.net. I don't want to just give out his number over the net without him knowing. He lives a coupple of streets over from me