PDA

View Full Version : There is something very very wrong with me!

newbomb
01-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I finished up mowing about 4 weeks ago and Im already anticipating next season. I have always run this business part time but with insurance and good equipment and taxes. I figured I would do it part time till I "made it" in a corporate setting (which I have never done), I have never come close to the per hour earnings I make mowing, in any other job I have ever held. I realized today I am a LIFER!! They will probably bury me on that Scag mower. By then I will probaly be frozen to it. I could be happy mowing the rest of my life but I think I will have a lot of trouble meeting a wife on that mower. That really is the only worry I have about this line of work.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
01-02-2007, 03:20 PM
No Problems!!! My wife is part owner of our company and you should see her on wb w/velkie or z. She doesn't do it often, but she would be ranked right up there as one of the top cutters that we have had.

Besides, what woman wouldn't fall head over heals for a guy that smells like decomposing grass (lol)!

LawnTamer
01-02-2007, 04:55 PM
One thing you will learn about women; they like money, payup if you make a lot and can clean up fairly nicely in the shower, you should be set.

In the off season I find myself checking out lawns while I'm driving and thinking "Oh yaah, I could mow that baby- 10 minutes flat. It would look so much better at a 45 deg angle, maybe I'll just go to the door and give them a bid." My wife will be talking, then she realizes I'm not listening when I interrupt her to ask, "You think a Z could hold that hill?":laugh: :laugh:

Stihl036pro
01-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Honestly, I've never had a problem getting girls. Just becasue I cut grass dose not mean i cant get women. haha, They do like money and if you carry yourself in a professional way about what you do for a living there should be no worries.

lawnprosteveo
01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
...but I think I will have a lot of trouble meeting a wife on that mower. That really is the only worry I have about this line of work.

You'll just meet a better breed of woman on that Scag. You dont really want some show pony from the corporate world. You want a wife who'll run that Scag with you. That's the kind of woman I have....and I wouldnt trade her for a room full of supermodels!!!

RedMax Man
01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Girls like flower gardens and all that pretty stuff so why wouldn't they like a guy who's a landscaper? If he can make a good wage and cleanup when he gets home then they'll be interested. How about plumbers, garbage men, miners and all the others who do dirty work, they have wives. Did you notice that there are a few woman on here that are landscapers.

MuleCutter
01-11-2007, 07:44 PM
You'll just meet a better breed of woman on that Scag. You dont really want some show pony from the corporate world. You want a wife who'll run that Scag with you!!

AAAAMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawnworks
01-11-2007, 07:50 PM
You need to move south... there is no off season. 40-52 cutting per year. I am installing 72 bnbs this week and next... then 100 pallets of sod.

tjsquickcuts
01-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I have had a few minor problems with some of my customers.....They see this good looking man swinging around on that SCAG, all sweaty, greases, smelling like a bag of fresh cut grass, and did I say good looking....and I have had customer, single and married hit on me...but I love $$$$$$$, and thats nothing but trouble.....plus, I am married and my wife is a HUGE part of what I have establish, but will not be caught dead, tied up to the mower...:laugh: lol...but she will go out and run estimate, and if the homeowner is cute, she will put them on my 2nd trucks route list...which i think is cute....lol......I had to take the lettering off my f-150 because I was averaging 2 to 3 calls a week asking me out on dates.....and half the time, my wife was in the office answering the phone.....lol....so you can imagine that scene....lol.....But I am so ready to get started again....Crazy though, because just about 2 weeks ago, I was so ready for it all to be over....lol...go figure....But I am excited because this is my year.....I am going to bust the door wide open, and we aint taking no prisoners....so get you weight up :weightlifter: .....or watch out...:gunsfirin ...because I am a com'n ah blazin....lol....man I am excited....

roguesuerte
01-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Dont pick her up with the mower for your first date. Being self-employed goes a long way in this day and age with the corporate culture and all the bullshit that goes with it. You will realize this after you date a couple of professional ladies and hear them tell you how much they envy you for striving out on your own. Dont sell youself short.

Mean Green Lawns
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I think I understand what you mean about the women thing. It's not about the profession it's about the social life and work enviornment. Corp world has lots and lots of hot, young, stuck up high maintence women looking for a good time... Just because you cut grass doesnt mean you have to start wearing overalls and flannel shirts... If you have some good buddies try to get out more and meet people cause being self employed can lead to lonely times specially when your running it by yourself or close to it. Starting work at 7am and finishing paperwork by 10pm 6 days a week doesn't leave much time for anything else and when your younger (20-30) and single it's even worse.

REMEMBER THIS: it doesn't matter what you do, life will happen to you weather you are ready for it or not. Making decisions baised on things you can't control, is self distructive. Do what makes you happy and everything else falls in place with time.

green acres lawns
01-12-2007, 12:13 AM
My lawn care business has outlasted my last wife. She got tired of hearing about mowers and stripes and gripy customers etc. and ran off with a chef. All I can say is good riddence. It hurt me so bad I went out and bought a new 20ft enclosed trailer and a new turf tiger. I just signed another mowing contract. This is an air strip for the local radio controled club. Anyway, all I can say about your situation is Go for it. Be the best LCO that you can be. The rest will fall in place. My new girl friend wants to quit her job at the school and work with me. we'll see.

WJW Lawn
01-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Damn Chefs! Heck with her...good for you on your trailer and turf tiger!

wowmowwow
01-12-2007, 08:44 AM
yah my wife is as crazy about stripes. she a pro on the wbs and can edge fast and straight with the weedeater. although she is terrified of the zero turn and driving the truck and trailor but i think thats job security. she is a nurse with a bn at the age of 23
thanks

Liquidfast
01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I have had a few minor problems with some of my customers.....They see this good looking man swinging around on that SCAG, all sweaty, greases, smelling like a bag of fresh cut grass, and did I say good looking....and I have had customer, single and married hit on me...but I love $$$$$$$, and thats nothing but trouble.....plus, I am married and my wife is a HUGE part of what I have establish, but will not be caught dead, tied up to the mower...:laugh: lol...but she will go out and run estimate, and if the homeowner is cute, she will put them on my 2nd trucks route list...which i think is cute....lol......I had to take the lettering off my f-150 because I was averaging 2 to 3 calls a week asking me out on dates.....and half the time, my wife was in the office answering the phone.....lol....so you can imagine that scene....lol.....But I am so ready to get started again....Crazy though, because just about 2 weeks ago, I was so ready for it all to be over....lol...go figure....But I am excited because this is my year.....I am going to bust the door wide open, and we aint taking no prisoners....so get you weight up :weightlifter: .....or watch out...:gunsfirin ...because I am a com'n ah blazin....lol....man I am excited....

Since you tooted your own horn, I have to call you out on this one. I say you post a pic of yourself and let the good folk at lawnsite be the judge......or are you one of those people who hide behind the emirror............hmmmmmmm betcha wont post after that big toot toot.:laugh:

The last person that went on about their stellar good looks made the the gray haired man in Moses look like an Adonis.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
You know you are addicted when you picture your spouse on a mower sweaty and dusty.

topsites
01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Just a bit of advice on the issue of relationships and business...

Afaik, you can have either the relationship OR the business, but not both.
So as a rule, don't mess with the customer.
But if you do, then they're not your customer anymore.
Because the two don't mix.

mattfromNY
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
A happy wife makes for a happy life.