PDA

View Full Version : About Scabs

LAWNGODFATHER
06-29-2001, 10:45 PM
I don't know who would agree with mw but if it weren't for scab you would not be able to get the prices you charge

scabs are unrelible you are

scabs do a bad job you do an exalent job

scabs under bid you you expensive

scabs go out of bis in a year you are here to stay well most of you

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY MORE ABOUT SACBS RUINING YOU BIZ

if it weren't for scab you wouldn't have a biz.!

scabs help you in the long run and they get the cheapo price shopper you don't want to deal with so leave them alone and they will help you biz. grow be patient and deal with it it only make you get a better price trust me I know I don't mess with low $ any more time is money and money is time

scabs will help you in the end

any replies to this thread will be greatfull leave the ignorince out

I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS ALL WEEK!
and I look back and see that scabs have only helped this biz. out

and I belive that if we let them go they will only help but make it more profitable for all of us if you agree leave me a message

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE GODFATHER OF LAWN CARE
I have 3 other co. I advise and their doing vary well

hobbes
06-29-2001, 10:59 PM
LAWNGODFATHER,

Are scabs the same as scrubs?

scrubs can be as reliable as a legit LCO
scrubs can do an excellent job
scrubs do underbid (that's the problem)
scrubs can be in business for many years.

THEY JUST HAVE LOW OVERHEAD 'cause the're not operating legally with proper ins. etc.

I just beat 'em at their own game & lowball the bastards. Better equp., years of exp., dedication. They can't beat my prices by much.

bobbygedd
06-30-2001, 12:43 AM
a question concerning scabs and insurance. how much insurance does one need? well it all depends on what one has to lose, if u have nothing, u have nothing to lose. it is very important to keep overhead to an absolute minimum while building your business, in my opinion of course. if u r starting out and u live at home with very few expenses u can afford to reinvest your profits into your business, on the other hand if u r relying on the money u make to pay bills, and raise a family, u have no choice but to keep your overhead to a bare minimum. i operated for years without insurance, now i have it, but i believe it is up to the individual whether he or she wants to risk not having it. and as far as lowballers, i am finding that the larger "legit" companies r lowballing the crap out of the work. so, as far as opinions are concerned, these "legit" companies are scabs and scrubs.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-30-2001, 01:01 AM
until seven years ago I didn't have ins

but I found out ins is more than what some of you think there is liability, work mens comp vehical trailer and more

haow many of you are realy fully ins

I am every thing is ins I mean every thing down to the weedeater line anything in stock at the shop in the truck and on the truck is ins

it has to be this way I have waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much to lose now
but my accountant and lawer have it set up so nothing can be lost in suit i am a ghost co.

but ins if you are your only emplyee all you need is liabilaty ins till you reach 5 employee's after that you need workmens comp. unless you sub contract your emp (diff disc)

but over head is not much if you own your equip. (no payments) and have no bills but ins gas etc... but normal operating bills

remember this a premium service is only worth the price you put on it
good hard working reliable quality sevice can't be done by most scabs or scrubs they are in it for the EASY MONEY this is only easy to the realy experinced or the ones who want to do this job

when it gets real hot out (like it is getting) the scabs or scubs won't be any where to be found

leave it to them to make your biz. better

TotalLawn
06-30-2001, 01:07 AM
I agree with all of the above. I am probably under bid by the BIG LCO's more often that the scrubs. I think it is because I am a little more choosy about the properties that I chose to bid. I don't know how they do it? I feel like I have a competative rate, and on all of the larger bids I submit TrueGreen under bids me. However, I have heard several complaints by some employees at one place they got...so maybe they won't last long there. Large LCO's are no different than scrubs...if they don't do a quality job someone else will (me).

bobbygedd
06-30-2001, 01:08 AM
"easy money" scuse me, aint nothin easy about this, especially in 95 degree heat. if there were no scrubs, who then could the customers compare your service to? the fact that there r scrubs makes us look a lot better

TotalLawn
06-30-2001, 01:11 AM
To submit a bid on most commercial properties is my area you have to have liability ins. All of my equip. is insured and I carry $1,000,000 liability ins.

LAWNGODFATHER
06-30-2001, 01:13 AM
i didn't mean easy money for us they think its easy till it gets hot and they are GONE

and yes they make us look better

LAWNGODFATHER
06-30-2001, 01:18 AM
well brian I cut a lot of 7 mil plus homes

just in case I carry a 5 mil liabilitly ins.

you never know when a kid will come out to play when your cuttting and your chute is aimed at the door and your 100 feet away and run over a stick and shoot the kids eye out

drastick sanerio

TotalLawn
06-30-2001, 01:20 AM
I AGREE!! So far I haven't had to use it. Better safe than sorry!!

TotalLawn
06-30-2001, 01:23 AM
We also to tree work. There are ALOT of jobs that I wouldn't get if I didn't have ins.

hubb
06-30-2001, 01:40 AM
I carry 1 million in insurance also and all my equipment is insured. I carry the minimum for the same reason I carry the minimum on my family car. If you injure someone they will sue your insurance company, not you. And chances are your insurance company will drop you anyway whether your insured for 1 mil or 10 mil. I would carry extra on my equipment before I would on my liability. This is just my opinion though.

SLS
06-30-2001, 08:38 AM
Scabs?

Don't pick at them with dirty fingernails...infection could set in. ;)

Really though....I see where LAWNGODFATHER is coming from. I get calls all the time from people who are dissatisfied with their current "part-timer". Seems that as the season wears on I hear more and more about the old Crapsmans heading to that big junkyard in the sky............:D

OOPS...it't 7:00 A.M.....Gotta go mow down some 'mother earth'!

Have a GREAT day everyone! :)

cos
06-30-2001, 09:59 AM
I Didn't win the spelling bee, but someone needs English 101.

smburgess
06-30-2001, 12:08 PM
lawngodfather....

Are you DRUNK?

LJ lawn
06-30-2001, 10:25 PM
how about scabs and not paying taxes? you just know these guys are running around doing 90% of all their jobs for CASH and not reporting it.as far as insurance i think it's a no-brainer,i just don't need the worry of anything happening to anyone .i think all scabs should carry EXTRA insurance since most use the cheapest equipment they can get (mostly homeowner stuff) not made to hold up to the rigors of constant use.not to mention some of the quality rigs we see them runnin around with (mowers stuffed in the back of hondas,bald tires,trailers with no lights etc.)

HOMER
06-30-2001, 10:57 PM
Smburgess...............that was a good kweschtion. I wuz wundurin the sane think!

Scabs, scrubs............can we please move on. They're here, they will never go away. Moving won't help, apparently. Has anyone been put out of business because of them? I haven't lost a thing to one of them.

hobbes
06-30-2001, 11:20 PM
Lawngodfather can't be drunk.
From what I understand all the z users drink Bud Light.

LAWNGODFATHER
07-01-2001, 02:16 AM
that was what i ment about them they will always be around and there is no sense arguing about them

by the way i am not drunk

and i had my 8 year old typing for me he wanted to help

as far as bud light and also jack

ZTR's rule if you don't have one you need to get one

KirbysLawn
07-01-2001, 02:27 AM
Oh brother:rolleyes:, yea they are great for our business. Nothing like having new guys entering the market every year keeping prices down, I love it!

LAWNGODFATHER
07-01-2001, 02:38 AM
Kirby I get what $ I ask for I don't go down because someone else has a lower price

I do high income res and comm

scabs can't get in in this area for some reason but I do see them around

kutnkru
07-01-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
Nothing like having new guys entering the market every year keeping prices down, I love it!

Dont worry Ray, my new book is almost finished:
"How To Be A Scrub and Still Earn At Least $120 An Hour."

This will allow us all to go shirtless and be comfortable,
Make great money and live the good life,
Keep the old fixer-upper on the road to keep operating expenses down,
etc., etc., etc.

Kris:laugh:

KirbysLawn
07-02-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Kirby I get what $ I ask for I don't go down because someone else has a lower price

I do high income res and comm

scabs can't get in in this area for some reason but I do see them around

Give it time. I also do high income areas and have lost 2 bids lately, one was bid at $90 a month and the other $100 FULL SERVICE!

I hope you never have the problem. No need debating the issue.

Remsen1
07-02-2001, 02:18 PM
spell check dude!
:o

KirbysLawn
07-02-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Remsen1
spell check dude!
:o

Who? Try being specific when you post.

sod girl
05-10-2004, 08:48 AM