PDA

View Full Version : High Wheel Mowers !!

lifetree
01-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Does anyone have a high wheel mower ?? If so, please advise your satisfaction with it and what make and model you have. Does anyone have a Sarlo high wheel mower ?? Sarlo is the original inventor back in 1935 and is still in business. I'd like to get a high wheel mower and it looks like it's coming down to a choice between the Billy Goat 24" high wheel mower and the Sarlo 26" high wheel mower. My only concern is that the Sarlo unit has a Briggs engine while the Billy Goat unit has a Kawasaki engine (i.e.-pressurized) ... any thoughts on this ??

Lawn Enforcer
01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a Craftsman 21" High wheel with the 6.75 Briggs, 3-in-1. Very good purchase, I love it!!!

macaw
01-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I have a Billy Goat it is 4 years old briggs 6.5hp it has been a very good mower.

MOW ED
01-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I am not 100% sure but I think that some of the Briggs have an oil pump. I am not positive though. I have one on a Craftsman that I used to use on hills 10 years ago. I will say the motor took abuse but its in the back of the garage for 8 years now as I went to Lawnboy 2 cycle and never looked back. Do some digging on the Briggs, they are tough.

Gbug
01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I have used a 21" Husqvarna hi-wheel for the past couple of years, and it has certainly been worth the $400 or so I paid for it. One thing I will warn you about a hi-wheel though, is the larger back wheels can lean inward and begin to rub the side of the deck. After about a year of the wheels leaning inwards and slowing my mower down, the axels finally snapped. Only about $15 in parts, and it was an easy fix...also after using a toro PP, I have to say, rear drive non-high-wheel mowers are easier to maneavour