PDA

View Full Version : Got the speed feed...

04TurfT
01-02-2007, 06:23 PM
I got a new shindy weedeater for my grandfather for christmas and it had the speed feed head on it.. A couple days later I HAD to have one for my weedeater. That is an awesome design, although I my dealer said that some people don't like em... What do yall think of em? I love it so far.

Six8
01-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Bought a 272 and had them put one on it,and bought one for my 231.Made my 231 feel like a new one.Makes restringing A whole lot faster.

BSDeality
01-02-2007, 07:19 PM
have them on all three Shindaiwa's. Definitely a major time-saver.

nmez21
01-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Just a question for the guys w/ speed feed... can you cut your own line from a spool, instead of buying pre-cut line? If not, how's pricing on pre-cut compared to that of a spool?

LemkeLawns
01-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Just a question for the guys w/ speed feed... can you cut your own line from a spool, instead of buying pre-cut line? If not, how's pricing on pre-cut compared to that of a spool?

Yes, you can cut your oun line.

lawnprosteveo
01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
I switched my T231's to the speed feed head last summer. I really like them. Makes it alot easier. Plus I can carry just some extra line in my pocket instead of a whole spool.

Edgewater
01-02-2007, 08:00 PM
I switched to them on all 3 of my trimmers. After a bout a month, they were worn out and always flying open, losing the eyelets. At 8.60ea canadian, thanks but no thanks. The traditional bump-n-go style last me 1 1/2 seasons.

Turf Dawg
01-02-2007, 08:11 PM
I love my speed feed heads. I first put them on my redmax 2600s because the dealer had the adapters. After trying them for a couple of days I had them order me some for my fs90s. It took me a couple of times to get fast at threading the line. Also the smooth bump cap does not hang on the stalons of st augastine grass. This is a big plus for us.

ed2hess
01-02-2007, 09:25 PM
And how easy is it to check how much line there is left on the speed feed head?

carcrz
01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
How do they work? Are they the ones that take 8" sections of string? I've always just kept a couple extra spools ready in the toolbox so I can switch them out as needed. Fill them @ the end of the day so they're ready for the next.

lawnprosteveo
01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
These take a fool length of string just like a regular spool would. I want to say around 10 ft??

Anyway, they are great and I think you can even put them on other brands of trimmers....

carcrz
01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I see the light now.

Jason Rose
01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I saw one demoed at our state fair, plus the Videos on their site. Pretty slick IMO... But I one up the speed deal and keep one wound spool ready to go in the box as much as I can. Takes a total of 5 seconds to swap them out on a husqvarna trimmer! I can load the spare one while at home here sitting drinking a beer. I can usually go a week to a week and a half on one spool of line. Pretty good for 70 lawns a week... If I have a helper running it, its maybe a few days per spool...

PLS-Tx
01-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Yes, the speed feed is great. I tried one last year, and then I had to have one for every shindy I have.

What size line are you guys running in yours? I'm running 1.05, I'm wondering if it will hold larger line

BSDeality
01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
i run .095 in all of mine. I get 18' per head (3 arms length pulls off the spool) so it lasts quite a while. I've been running them for a year now and didn't have any problems with the eyelets coming out yet. I did have a problem with the first one just letting the string all out, but the dealer said I put it together wrong somehow? He fixed it and it's been fine since.

04TurfT
01-03-2007, 01:04 AM
yeah it seems like a really well designed product. I like it so far and it aint that expensive either, I always dread putting line on a trimmer, not anymore...

Pristine PM
01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I have had good experiance with them for the most part, but I do find that they wear out faster then I would like. I trim for about ten hours a day, 5 days a week and I will go through a head every month. When the head starts to wear the T2510x starts to vibrate quite bad. I do enjoy the time savings of the head and not worrying about losing a spring. I go through 3 lines a day usually and it was nice to pre-cut 10 feet, stick it in my pocket, and go. I admit that I do drag it a bit more then I should. We take care of condo (townhouse) units and it is alot of street trimming.

Jon

ashs inc
01-03-2007, 01:23 PM
where do you find one of these heads?

BSDeality
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
any Shindaiwa dealer should stock them.

04TurfT
01-03-2007, 04:50 PM
yeah i got mine at a little garden center here

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I got a new shindy weedeater for my grandfather for christmas and it had the speed feed head on it.. A couple days later I HAD to have one for my weedeater. That is an awesome design, although I my dealer said that some people don't like em... What do yall think of em? I love it so far.

The speedfeed heads are excellent, time saving units under normal operating conditions. I have a city contract to trim seven miles worth of guardrails... and this summer, I did have some problems with the heads blowing apart. If a company plans on using these heads for extreme use, I would suggest having a couple of extra heads in the truck. Those little eyelets seem to get lost very easily if the head comes apart. But all in all, I'll never buy another type of trimmer head.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
These take a fool length of string just like a regular spool would. I want to say around 10 ft??

Anyway, they are great and I think you can even put them on other brands of trimmers....

they take at least 22 ft of .105(thick stuff).

gqnine44
01-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Anybody got a link to their site?

BSDeality
01-03-2007, 06:58 PM
http://www.shindaiwa.com/technology/speedfeed/index.php

lawnboy dan
01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
they weigh about 2x what a regular head does. i returned mine cause i didnt like the extra weight

Hard Worker
01-03-2007, 10:28 PM
We love ours, I've replaced all but one and that's a backup. I've got the cut off line measured off on our trailers, just pull off the spool til you reach the mark, go back cut off and twist the stuff on, simple as that.

Yes the eyelets are a pain sometimes, we bought several and stock them in the trailers for spare. Overall a wise investment.:cool2: