PDA

View Full Version : What equipment purchase did not meet your expectations and why?

Chop Stuff Up
01-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Name a piece of equipment that you have purchased in the past and it did not meet your expectations. For example, lack of performance, parts availability, failure, etc.

Mike Blevins
01-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I had an stihl fs-80 and it was good the first year I used it. But the next season it just went all to hell. Wouldnt start or run like it used too. Never could get it to run right. One of the main reasons i switched to red max on my third year and no problems yet.

LawnTamer
01-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Toro Personal Pace lawnmower, I thought I could get by with it, I only have 7 accounts where we can't get everything with the big WBs. We are talking like 4 back yards and a few terraced areas. What a piece of junk! So underbuilt! crappy drive system, cheap handle, even the bag fell apart. Nothing short of Prolines for me.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

LCPullman
01-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Toro Personal Pace lawnmower, I thought I could get by with it, I only have 7 accounts where we can't get everything with the big WBs. We are talking like 4 back yards and a few terraced areas. What a piece of junk! So underbuilt! crappy drive system, cheap handle, even the bag fell apart. Nothing short of Prolines for me.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

We learned that in our first couple of years in bussiness, residential grade stuff doesn't work for light commercial work.

Jason Rose
01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Yardman Leaf vac, the push kind. What a waste of $$$!
The leaf Vac option for my Sthil BG85. About as useless as the yardman, just a lot smaller.
Any fertilizer spreader that's not Commercial, or Lesco. went thru many, even a spyker, before I found a REAL spreader!
Tow behind 25 gallon sprayer... And years after I bought it and tried to get it to work, I fianlly found a way to use it and the pump quit working!
Buying used crap cause it's cheaper than buying new, but NOT at all what you really need...
Buying a 3/4 ton dodge truck and expecting it to haul what the 3/4 ton Ford did... Not even close!
I'd go on, but I'm starting to look and feel like an idiot!

Grass-Masters
01-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Lesco Z-Two - Parts availability.

Chop Stuff Up
01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
one of my issues was the toro personal pace as well. endless cable replacements and a fragile handlebar assembly. Also the handle that opens the chute fell apart a number of times.

CSALawnServiceInc
01-03-2007, 04:14 PM
One of the black Lesco float deck walkbehinds. Never again.

Dunn's
01-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Huskqvuarna 350 xp i think with the 18" bar peice of S$!!.

jrc lawncare
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
One of the black Lesco float deck walkbehinds. Never again.I will second that, I got rid of the one we got quick for another turf tracer.

Grass-Masters
01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
One of the black Lesco float deck walkbehinds. Never again.

I will second that, I got rid of the one we got quick for another turf tracer.

didn't they discontinue them for a number of reasons. Being to heavy for a walkbehind for 1. What did you guys do with those machines.

jrc lawncare
01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
didn't they discontinue them for a number of reasons. Being to heavy for a walkbehind for 1. What did you guys do with those machines.Traded in for another new turf tracer. Couldn't get used to the controls & hated the hydros they used. Always had to keep both hands on the controls, with the turf tracers, if you have to swat at a fly or whatever, you can do it & keep on going at the same time.:laugh:

Roger
01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I know I may inflame some folks here, but my worst acquisition was the ProSlide. It seemed like a good idea, but my mower was too small, too light for pulling a ProSlide. I managed to sell it to another LS member, but he is now out of business (I'm sure NOT because he bought my ProSlide!).

CSALawnServiceInc
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately, I'm still using mine. I paid $3700.00 for it about six months ago and the best I can get for trade in from a dealer is $1500. Mine blows PTO drive belts every 10 hours, (that makes about six in 80 hours of use), can't pull a sulky because the hydos are so weak, and has a hard time just pulling itself up inclines without spinning the tires. They are definitely front heavy big time. Also part availability sucks along with the closest service center about 45 minutes away. Big F*cking mistake on my part. :cry:

nobagger
01-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Definitely our Little Wonder HPV. I've said it before, it has is uses but leaves are not one of them, contrary to what the dealer said. There is only one other thing and that is our Echo hand held blower, a PB200 or something like that. The carb took a crap halfway through the first season. Other than that everything has treated us well.

Grass-Masters
01-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately, I'm still using mine. I paid $3700.00 for it about six months ago and the best I can get for trade in from a dealer is $1500. Mine blows PTO drive belts every 10 hours, (that makes about six in 80 hours of use), can't pull a sulky because the hydos are so weak, and has a hard time just pulling itself up inclines without spinning the tires. They are definitely front heavy big time. Also part availability sucks along with the closest service center about 45 minutes away. Big F*cking mistake on my part. :cry:

Yea, I know I sold my Z-two because of parts availabity, they tried to sell me one of those mowers for $1500 when I tried to order a filter for mine. I am glad I did not have the money at the time. Good luck with yours.

Chop Stuff Up
01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
anyone else?

Envy Lawn Service
01-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Traded in for another new turf tracer. Couldn't get used to the controls & hated the hydros they used. Always had to keep both hands on the controls, with the turf tracers, if you have to swat at a fly or whatever, you can do it & keep on going at the same time.:laugh:

Well, I'll certainly give you that... never thought about that aspect of the Z-style controls.
:laugh:

To the OTHERS here saying real negative stuff....

In defense of the machines, there are a bunch of people out there with them that are trouble free. I figure like everyone else, they make some that are not 100% and you guys have them.

Not having hydro issues and belt issues resolved.... well that's like crying you have a headache and not getting yourself a couple of Advil or something. In other words, based on my experiences... you are simply just not being 'proactive' enough about getting it resolved.

Same deal with getting parts. Your problem is obviously at the local level.
I say that having been through hell with other MFG's....
It's just not been that way for me through Lesco, or believe me... you'd hear it!!!
I've had no issues with their riders, and no issues with parts or support.

Again, I feel your problem is the people at the local level... not Lesco or the equipment.
Point being... be PROACTIVE...
All you have to do is pick up the phone and call Lesco corporate.
The number is on your manual... they put it there for you to use it.
Call them and they will take care of you.

Matter of fact, I'm only on the other end of the internet.
I might be able to help you diagnose the source of your equipment failures so you can have your OWN diagnostic facts together for when you call to get something done.

lawnpro724
01-09-2007, 02:50 PM

I hear you on that one! I have or should say had a personal pace that I purchased 3yrs ago and knew it wasn't commercial but just liked the drive system just push and go. I have used Toro's Proline mowers ever since my second year in business back in 93 and use them now. I just thought we would try it out, boy what a mistake that decision was. I knew it wasn't commercial and didn't really use it much but those soft rubber wheels just stick to hills really good. It has since been sold to a home owner after I have replaced just about everything except the engine ( Transmission, Wheels, Bushings, Starter rope, Kill switch, and had to replace all the handle bolts too.

Envy Lawn Service
01-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Name a piece of equipment that you have purchased in the past and it did not meet your expectations. For example, lack of performance, parts availability, failure, etc.

Here is my list I can think of off the top of my head.

1) Everything Yazoo/Kees with model years 1999 and up.
... Performance, parts availability, failure.
... Dangerous design flaws!!!!
... Lack of any support at all throughout the supply chain all the way to the top.
... Warranty not honored.

2) Everything Husqvarna with model years 1999 and up.... saws included
... Pizz-poor design in some cases.

3) Toro Proline 2 cycle Suzuki... (nice engine and BBC though)
... Design, performance and durability of everything but the Engine & BBC.
... Lack of good local support and cost of replacement parts.
... I expect a decent all around 21" mower for the price of them.

4) High end John Deere Garden Tractors... (nice comfortable units though)
... Too many dumb safety features I was afraid to disable, which hurt their usefulness.

5) 21hp Kawasaki engine.
... Standard air cleaner design, did not meet my power/torque expectations.
... 1.5 gal/hr fuel consumption.

6) John Deere Utility... (to be fair they are tuff though)
... Design, usefullness and performance does not match the price.
... Belt drive tranny is a huge handicap due to lack of ANY engine breaking.
... Cost of replacement parts.

7) 23hp 52" Lazer HP... (great machine for dry manicured cool season lawns)
... Perfect machine other than the following......
... Mowing and slope performance, productivity/double cutting.
... It just does not live up to the hype AT ALL.
... Rides like a bucking bronco.
... Poorly designed for ease of regular maintenance.
... The 'offset' layout is a poor design in my opinion and does not mesh with tall grass
... Does not live up to my performance expectations in adverse mowing conditions, such as tough grass/weeds, tall grass/weeds, wet conditions, ect.

8) RedMax BCZ2600S trimmer... (semi-happy with it)
... It's starting manners fall shy of my expectations.
... I hate it's little 'warm-up' period it wants before going to work.

9) I'm sure there is something I've forgotten... like EZ-slide or some other product or piece of equipment.... LOL

Duekster
01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Here is my list I can think of off the top of my head.

1) Everything Yazoo/Kees with model years 1999 and up.
... Dangerous design flaws!!!!
... Lack of any support at all throughout the supply chain all the way to the top.
... Warranty not honored.

2) Everything Husqvarna with model years 1999 and up.... saws included
... Pizz-poor design in some cases.

3) Toro Proline 2 cycle Suzuki... (nice engine and BBC though)
... Design, performance and durability of everything but the Engine & BBC.
... Lack of good local support and cost of replacement parts.
... I expect a decent all around 21" mower for the price of them.

4) High end John Deere Garden Tractors... (nice comfortable units though)
... Too many dumb safety features I was afraid to disable, which hurt their usefulness.

5) 21hp Kawasaki engine.
... Standard air cleaner design, did not meet my power/torque expectations.
... 1.5 gal/hr fuel consumption.

6) John Deere Utility... (to be fair they are tuff though)
... Design, usefullness and performance does not match the price.
... Belt drive tranny is a huge handicap due to lack of ANY engine breaking.
... Cost of replacement parts.

... The 'offset' layout is a poor design in my opinion and does not mesh with tall grass
... Does not live up to my performance expectations in adverse mowing conditions, such as tough grass/weeds, tall grass/weeds, wet conditions, ect.

8) RedMax BCZ2600S trimmer... (semi-happy with it)
... It's starting manners fall shy of my expectations.
... I hate it's little 'warm-up' period it wants before going to work.

9) I'm sure there is something I've forgotten... like EZ-slide or some other product or piece of equipment.... LOL

Would it be easier to ask what you do like? :rolleyes:

I am interested for real because your responses were thought out.

lawnspecialties
01-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Two things.

1: I don't remember the number but it was a hand held Stihl blower/vacuum I bought for cleaning out leaves and stuff from basement stairwells outside a large church I maintain. I bet I didn't put twenty hours on it before it was falling apart. I ended up throwing it away two weeks ago when I cleaned out my shed.

2: John Deere JS63 21" push mower. That piece of crap didn't hold a candle to my $399 Husquvarna I bought at Lowe's.

lawnboy dan
01-09-2007, 05:12 PM
my snapper 33 riding mower. what a pos! worst cut you ever saw and its always breaking down with clutch problems. very disapointed in most of my sthil equiptment in terms of reliability (br400 and bg85 have been great) the rest very troublesome. its redmax and husky from now on

Jason Rose
01-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Amen to all that you stated here! I forgot to list that machine on MY list. I owned the same machine and was EXTREMELY dissapointed with it's preformance. The ride was ok for me though, better than I was used too since the Dixons I use were lighter and had smaller tires. The wet cutting ability was not there. Very annoying!

KS_Grasscutter
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
My List:
1. Crapsman leaf vac- biggest POS ever made, does not do anything better then you can with a mower, very PITA to dump, just a big POS.
2. Deere JX75- second biggest POS ever made. It is a all around great machine, except the fact that the POS transmissions have been JUNK since the begining and Deere ain't did **** to fix it. My transmission is dead, and I would guess it don't have 150 hours on it. Last piece of Deere LCO equipment I will own.
3. Stihl BG85- 3rd biggest POS ever made. WILL NOT START in the summer, or after it has been running. Although, it will start good the first time each morning in the Spring and Fall. And it will start on the FIRST pull in the Winter after it's been sitting a month. Makes sense to me...

Dishonorable Mention- Ford Ranger, ventless gas cans, Midwest gas cans, Craftsman hand tools and a Crapsman weedeater that would not run EVER.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a nice leaf vac, a lower hour JX75, and a Stihl blower, please send me a PM. They are all for sale...

RedMax Man
01-09-2007, 09:45 PM
One of the first tools i bought when i got into this line of work a few couple years ago was a Crapsman string trimmer... biggest piece of junk i've ever purchased and it hardly lasted a summer cutting only several lawns a week. Since then I've only bought commercial tools.

greengiant9963
01-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Amen to all that you stated here! I forgot to list that machine on MY list. I owned the same machine and was EXTREMELY dissapointed with it's preformance. The ride was ok for me though, better than I was used too since the Dixons I use were lighter and had smaller tires. The wet cutting ability was not there. Very annoying!

I also have the same mower but have to say that it is great for smaller lawns as long as they are not overgrown. I will agree it is the worst mower I have used for trying to cut wet grass.

wriken
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
BR 600, blew like a 40cc blower would

Envy Lawn Service
01-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Would it be easier to ask what you do like? :rolleyes:

I am interested for real because your responses were thought out.

Yeah... It probably would... let's just see... I LIKE:

ZTR's
Lesco/Cub Commercial ZTR's
Grasshopper's with Kubota Diesels
Toro's with the Turbo Force are OK
Gravely has sweet compact ZTR's
BobCat ZT227's are OK for what they are
The 61" Great Dane Chariot LX I like except it won't cut over 3"
eXmark's are nice aside from the cutting & servicing aspects
Scag Velocity decks 'LOOK' very promising
BadBoy Pup/Lightning Z's 'LOOK' promising
Country Clipper has some cool features