PDA

View Full Version : mowing the Slope from Hell

Schlepie
06-30-2001, 12:27 AM
Went to bid a job today. Customer says we need just the back of the property mowed, we do the front. It does slope towards the river though..... So I took a shot, had to walk to the edge of the upper part of the property by the house to see the bottom of the slope. It goes straight down to the river, with a bank though. I had to slow myself down walking down the 125' concrete driveway/boatramp and was somewhat out of breath after the trek uphill. Property is 100 X 125. The owners have two 21" mowers and a rider, I swear the slope is 30 degrees at least(why arent they mowing it anymore you ask)?. I have 21" SP and exmark 36. Should I venture into this? If so, how do you bid these. Don't plan on mowing many of these, but don't want to loose the business......

lawnboy82
06-30-2001, 01:19 AM
i do one similar to this. cutting totals up to about 1 1/2 acre. never measured it. the back lawn is on a hill. you can do it with a ZTR if you are careful. the front lawn is on a slope. if you stand up on the road. the house is about 75 feet back off the road. house is 2 stories plus roof. you can see right over the roof. front and side together just to cut is about 1 hr of cutting. you gotta take it slow, and be careful. driveway at this place, you pull in there at the top, look in front of you and all you see is the sky. goin up the hill is about the same thing. just figure that it will take you more time to cut than a flat lawn because you will have to angle the machine up the hill. and lines wont be that great. if you are goin to go with a contract maybe put in a clause stating that you are not responsible for any damages to the turf on the hill due to machine slide. or something like that.

guntruck
06-30-2001, 01:51 AM
Very good point about the fact that you wont be responsible for any turf damage, and if the hill is as steep as you say it is there will be. If its steep enough IMHO i dont care who you are if your using a commercial machine your gonna rut it from the same lines all the time or gonna eventually kill some of the grass simple where you rip it off the surface. We obtained an apt. complex this year, our first commercial (large) and let me tell ya, im really really learnign hills i dont think it can get any worse, some we need to do with a whip. Well, i just wanted to put my cents in due to my experiance on the steepness of some hills we do, GOOD LUCK.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KD'sLawns
06-30-2001, 07:51 AM
Tell him that you will mow it once and give him a fair price. But, until you you have experience the terrain on your mower you can not give a good estimate. Then attach a safety line to your machine and try to mow it. There is no sense in trying to mow only to lose your machine in the river. Take it slow and get a good feel for which way works best. If you are having bad thoughts on mowing it, I would suggest that you take a pass on this job to live another day. Because fear will get you killed. Good Luck

Premo Services
06-30-2001, 08:53 AM
Most of the properties that have hills that I cut. do not end up in river, that could get interesting! If you had to walk to the edge to see the bottom, that is a serious hill!!!I have found that it is best to take the mower slowly to the bottom and work side to side back up the hill, making turns with the mower heading up the hill. You would need to watch your speed and any sudden movements with the mower. I have a 48 in hydro exmark walk behind, and it does really good on hills, but you said that you have a 36 inch unit. I don`t know if that would be wide enough,or have the weight to hold it on the hills. Also is it a belt drive, that may be another problem, when it is wet.If you decide to do it take it slowwwww, and be careful. I would never think about using my ztr on some of these hills, because I don`t want to take a ride on the white knuckle express to the bottom.:D

Guntruck I have some hills that it is hard to stand and use the trimmer, so i know what you mean, I learned how to use a trimmer fast because of these hills when I first started. If thats the case you would need to charge more, because of eztra time to do the job.

awm
06-30-2001, 09:56 AM
if its as bad as you say, sounds like you will sooner or later
end up in the water with a walkbehind for company.
id figure a way to do it but they wouldnt like the price.
almost sounds like this one could get you killed. later

MJ
06-30-2001, 12:23 PM
Don't know if it would work for you, but I saw a guy mow a hill like that once. He tied a rope to the handle of his 21". Stood at the top and let the mower down the hill by the rope, then pulled it back up. Moved over and repeated till he got it done.

CSRA Landscaping
06-30-2001, 12:24 PM
I agree with awm. No job is worth risking your life over.

syzer
06-30-2001, 05:09 PM
get yourself a Great Dane Surfer =). Best machine we have ever had on very steep hills.

Eric ELM
06-30-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by syzer
get yourself a Great Dane Surfer =). Best machine we have ever had on very steep hills.

Since you just started your business, could this be the only machine you have had on a steep hills? I was just wondering what you are comparing this machine to. I'm not trying to be a smart ***. :)

syzer
06-30-2001, 05:28 PM
hehe nah, we have a 32" scag wb that slides big time on this mother, and 52" toro which is also a bear to wrestle to keep up on this hill, and also the GD chariot which I don't even think to get on this hill. We do the beginning section with one pass of the chariot but that's it it gets too steep too fast. Both WB's slide and the surfer will slide sometimes if we cut first thing in the morning but other then that it holds a hill the best of all the mower I have used even though I have limited experience. Of the 4 we have its the best.

thelawnguy
06-30-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by KD'sLawns
Because fear will get you killed. Good Luck

My experience is that fear is what keeps you alive. Fearless risk-taking is what seems to cause the problems lol...

Schlepie
07-01-2001, 11:03 PM
hey guys, thanks for the help.......I passed without any regrets.:angel: