PDA

View Full Version : I sold my lawn business--they said i couldnt

premierlawncare
01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Well, I got hit by a car while using a blower. I worked for 2 more months. Then I decided to sell my business and take a break. I wanted to heal my back (let God heal my back).

I put it in the newspaper and sold it in 2 days.

Many many members :hammerhead: here told me that lawn business cannot be sold. I am glad I think for myself and did not believe those misinformed people.

Point is you can sell you business , people do all the time. I sold my by owner, but business brokers help people sell business to make their living.:clapping:

Duekster
01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Funny, I got in to the LS biz because my neck was hurt.

I don't do the work.

premierlawncare
01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I might be getting back in , but i wont be doing the work. I will be making a business instead of being a self employed or owner operator.

Liquidfast
01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Sorry PLC, but it appears as though you may have jumped the gun. The simple fact that you sold your biz and came back here to say you sold it and in one post stated you might get back into it would suggest that you didn't want out.

If your plans are/were to, as you put it, run a biz and not be an owner/operator sounds a little, well, "How to run a lawn biz in 21 daysish".

Why did you not keep the current biz going and hire out to do the work? IMHO, I would never sell off my biz if I had the slightest inclination that I might "return" to it.

All the best and hopefully God heals you quickly.

steve45
01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Hope you get well soon!

Lawntime Mowers
01-02-2007, 11:48 PM
So you sold it to prove a few guys on a discussion forum wrong? What?
Now you want to start all over again? I'm easily confused but ahhhhhhh what???

Man I'm truly sorry to hear about getting hit by the car. I've come way to close to biting it over the hood of a car while on mower and on foot. Let that be another lesson to me.

Fantasy Lawns
01-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Good fore you

Fore the most part ..... arguments against ability to "sell a business" is quite frankly ....most don't OWN a business nor Run one

DON'T get me wrong but the most part .... a solo ....has a route .... a group of customers whom they may have been serving fore YEARS.... have a great run with em ..make VERY Good $$ n such ....great but over the years n in the long run ....that's all the still really have

Those running a business ....have it set up as such ....so be it with employees, uniforms, lettered vehicles, mailed invoicing, payments made to the Inc. or LLC ...(that's a different story as selling an LLC it has to be re-stuctured .... while an Inc is just a stock exchange)

My original foundation was to build a business .... have a good run at it ...build something up which is tangle to others ....as an asset ... I've removed myself from the daily dealing with the direct labor ...BUT still have personal contact with my customers

Have trained those working fore the Inc as well as the foreman to have personal contact with the customers .... when I sell ....the individual whom buys (more than likely my foreman) will be set up fore success as long as they continue ....good reliable service, correct issues if needed, be consistent n things of this nature

Again don't get me wrong ... I started as a Solo ...it's was good $$ ... perhaps better than now ...BUT ...I'm not tired & worn out ... I have other $$ interests ... can take vacation time in August ... If I got hurt in the past ...I was FUBAR

Was this greater or less than $100K if I may ask ?? Also would it not have been possible to hold out till we go back to weekly cutting n enjoy that full monthly $$ with only 1/2 the cost

lawnman_scott
01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
What did you get for it? If you dont want to give a price, what % of yearly gross, and did you include equipment/trucks?

Mike Fronczak
01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
If you sold it in two days, just my opion you weren't asking enough......or got really lucky.

nobagger
01-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I dont know why some people said you couldnt sell your business, its yours! We bought out a guy this past season and I guess you could say it sold in a few days as well. I will never, ever!!!!!!!!! pay for a "customer list" again unless they sign with me and talk to me alone! The guy we bought out said he talked to all of his customers and they were willing to sign with us but I was so busy I didnt get a chance until late winter to talk to them about us and by that time it was too late. I blame myself but a customer list is worthless if they look elsewhere. We did however land about 75% of the customers, but there were some big, high dollar estates we didnt get.:hammerhead:

WJW Lawn
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Wish you the best recovery!! And now you know opinions are like A**H****....everybodys got one.

premierlawncare
01-03-2007, 05:20 PM
If you sold it in two days, just my opion you weren't asking enough......or got really lucky

Wrong, I researched what lawn routes were selling for in my area and priced it accordingly. I sold it fast because I live in a large city and I posted it in the business opportunity section on the newspaper. More than a million people read this newspaper online.

I also had 20 or more phone calls and 2 offers.

premierlawncare
01-03-2007, 05:27 PM
So you sold it to prove a few guys on a discussion forum wrong? What?
Now you want to start all over again? I'm easily confused but ahhhhhhh what???

Man I'm truly sorry to hear about getting hit by the car. I've come way to close to biting it over the hood of a car while on mower and on foot. Let that be another lesson to me.

I´m confused, do you not understand? I was a solo operator and got hit by a car. I sold my route and equipment. I am taking a break. I might do a lawn business again or might do one of serveral other businesses. And yes I will build it different next time.

Oh, after i got hurt i did put a helper with me until i sold. The guy who bought it was happy because the worker learned all the houses likes and dislikes.

I did not sell to prove anything to anybody , especially negative people. I sold to get money for my family and for my next business start up.

I did come back to help lawn/landscape people believe that the do have a business solo operator or 10 trucks. They can sell it. It is worth alot more than people think.

Oh by the way, A business broker called me to list my business with him. I told him i already had a contract. I mentioned I might be interested in a liquor store or gas station. He said he didnt like those type of businesses. I asked him what type of business he likes and he said service businesses. lawn, pool, cleaning, etc. he sells them all day. He also told me he could get what I was asking in the newpaper.

premierlawncare
01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
What did you get for it? If you dont want to give a price, what % of yearly gross, and did you include equipment/trucks?

It was for less than 100k, I sold it for about 6 months gross income + equipment. Equipment went for about 9-10,000.

Truck was offered but he had one already.

If anyone would like more info on how to sell a business , just ask.

premierlawncare
01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE][Sorry PLC, but it appears as though you may have jumped the gun. The simple fact that you sold your biz and came back here to say you sold it and in one post stated you might get back into it would suggest that you didn't want out.

If your plans are/were to, as you put it, run a biz and not be an owner/operator sounds a little, well, "How to run a lawn biz in 21 daysish".
/QUOTE]

I sold because I have 3 herniaded\(probably mispelled) discs in my neck and 3 discs bulging in my lumbar. I like a little pain but not that much. I want to let God heal me. Right now i am doing nothing for 2 months. I have several options for business. I also am changing cities.

Most people here no too much to learn anything. Although I have learned alot here from everyone.

Roger
01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
First, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. And, secondly, I'm glad you were able to sell out and allow yourself to sit back, let time pass with the injury, and relfect on what the next opportunity might be.

Can you tell us what happened in the accident. I think you said "got hit by a car when using the blower." Can you elaborate so that some us might benefit from the situation. I'm not asking for a medical report, but rather the setup that caused the accident to happen.

I tend to get careless in the street sometimes, especially when loading or unloading equipment. But, some drivers are inconsiderate and feel it their duty to skim along as close as possible at unreasonable speeds.

lawnman_scott
01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I dont get how people come up with how these types of businesses dont have a value. Then you get the "you are buying a job not a business" idiots. Look anywhere where businesses are for sale, there is some worth.

Jpocket
01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I dont get how people come up with how these types of businesses dont have a value. Then you get the "you are buying a job not a business" idiots. Look anywhere where businesses are for sale, there is some worth.

You are buying a job, but IT IS STILL A BUSINESS. I don't understand it either. It's like saying a guy that runs a gas station doesn't own a business.
It's a job that you happen to own - Your own business.

Many ppl choose to stay small which is great if that what you want. It tends to be the ppl. that want everything big all the time that say it's not a business.

mbricker
01-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Premier, sorry about your back. Definitely you need to go easy on it until it heals. And from your desription of your injuries, my guess is you are always going to have some pain and probably some restricted movement from these injuries. Hope you were able to get an insurance settlement from the party that hit you.

As for your sale, you did very well compared to what a lawn service brings in this area. Generally here you can get 1 to 2 months gross revenue from the accounts, plus value of equipment.

A piece of advice if you don't mind: a lot of guys post on a thread just to criticize, no matter what topic. Don't be so thin-skinned about it. Some of the critics know what they are talking about, and you can learn something even if they don't come across very well. And of course some of the bozos know almost nothing about the subject they are giving their critical comments on. Just let it roll off.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

premierlawncare
01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE][/QUOTA piece of advice if you don't mind: a lot of guys post on a thread just to criticize, no matter what topic. Don't be so thin-skinned about it. Some of the critics know what they are talking about, and you can learn something even if they don't come across very well. And of course some of the bozos know almost nothing about the subject they are giving their critical comments on. Just let it roll offE]

Thanks for the advice. Somehow i forgot that people do that type of thing. I do not frequent internet forums that often.

As for the accident , my advice to everyone is to be very very careful. I made a new rule to park on the same side of the road that i am working. This way we are not crossing the street as we change equipment and load and unload.

When I got hit by the car , while using the blower , I was parked on the opposite side of the jobsite. I was in front of the house between the curb and my truck and trailer. The car tried to sweep by between me and my truck. I was hit blindside. The driver was talking his cell phone.

Dunn's
01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE][/QUOTA piece of advice if you don't mind: a lot of guys post on a thread just to criticize, no matter what topic. Don't be so thin-skinned about it. Some of the critics know what they are talking about, and you can learn something even if they don't come across very well. And of course some of the bozos know almost nothing about the subject they are giving their critical comments on. Just let it roll offE]

Thanks for the advice. Somehow i forgot that people do that type of thing. I do not frequent internet forums that often.

As for the accident , my advice to everyone is to be very very careful. I made a new rule to park on the same side of the road that i am working. This way we are not crossing the street as we change equipment and load and unload.

When I got hit by the car , while using the blower , I was parked on the opposite side of the jobsite. I was in front of the house between the curb and my truck and trailer. The car tried to sweep by between me and my truck. I was hit blindside. The driver was talking his cell phone.

So like the other guy asked did you get some kind of settlement from the drivers insurance. Or where you left holding the bill.

Envy Lawn Service
01-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Wrong, I researched what lawn routes were selling for in my area and priced it accordingly. I sold it fast because I live in a large city and I posted it in the business opportunity section on the newspaper. More than a million people read this newspaper online.

I also had 20 or more phone calls and 2 offers.

Well, maybe someone told you that you couldn't sell your business.
But I can't recall reading stuff like that.

For the most part, what I see is people speaking the truth about selling.

1) It's hard to sell if you are not in a prime area with 'big fish' or if you don't already have a MAJOR organization looking at you and making offers. This obviously wasn't an issue for you.

2) The 'selling price' of a lawn business can be a huge variable.

3) Lawn businesses generally are not worth a whole lot.

I think your own admission speaks pretty well for 2 & 3.

It was for less than 100k, I sold it for about 6 months gross income + equipment. Equipment went for about 9-10,000.

Truck was offered but he had one already.

If anyone would like more info on how to sell a business , just ask.

premierlawncare
01-15-2007, 09:43 AM
So like the other guy asked did you get some kind of settlement from the drivers insurance. Or where you left holding the bill.

Yes i am expecting a nice settlement. My other advice is to be well insured. I have commercial auto/truck insurance, life, health, and insurance if equipment is stolen.

My insurance paid my emergency room bill and covered me for rehab at the chiropractor.

Always contact a lawyer and visit the emergency room even if you think you are okay. Most landscape guys are pretty tough and don't want to goto the doctor but they should go.

premierlawncare
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Here are some lawn bizs for sale in florida.

http://bizmls.com./cgi-bin/a-bus2.asp

notice how there are all sizes small to super big.

I tested the link and it doesnt connect directly to the lawn listings. do a search for yourself and see.

good luck to everyone!