PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Willofalltrades
01-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Theres a 1995 Ford F250 for sale near me.
-91,500 Mi
-4x4
-regular cab
-5.8L gas
-Auto
-No Rust
-Clean interior (no tears in the seat, no dash cracks, no giant stains)
-No body dents
-Brakes look newer as well as u-joints
-No evidence of a plow, could be wrong though
-$4,800 asking
-I did notice oil leaking by the rear mainseal (I didn't have time to crawl under but there were a few noticable oil puddles)

I need a truck next year. I'm pretty sure I want a new truck with a diesel because it will be my main work horse and my daily driver. Or I get a used truck for $5,000 or less and buy a car (tossin around Ideas). Opinions?

Willofalltrades
01-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I can get some pics If you so desire...

carcrz
01-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a pretty good price. I always run a new car pretty hard to make sure the tranny isn't shifting funny before I buy it.

Willofalltrades
01-02-2007, 10:56 PM
I'll get pics. tomorrow and have them up in the morning.

Willofalltrades
01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
What do you think?

Total.Lawn.Care
01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
That little bit of oil would not scare me. Remember, oil is like blood, a little spill goes a long way. It might just be the pan has a few loose bolts that need to be tightened. Or, if it is the rear main, just drop the tranny, replace and put back. 4 hour job at most. I did the one on my F-150 with the help of a neighbor.

Looks like a good price for what seems to be a decent truck.

J&R Landscaping
01-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I picked up a truck just like that in august. The body on mine is not in that good of condition but it runs strong. I bought it with 87k miles and it now has about 92k on it.

The worst part about the truck is the fuel milage. I'm getting about 9mpg when I'm not pulling my trailer. When I have the trailer behind me, I'm getting 6-7mpg.

Good Luck!

Willofalltrades
01-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Thats all the truck would be used for is towing a trailer.
Wait, pushin some snow.

nobagger
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
I dont think thats such a bad price. The oil leaking might be a rear main seal or the Ford oil pans were noted for rotting out. A new pan is around 150.00 and about 4-5 hours to put one in (if you have the right tools). Just remember its used so it could run very well for a week or two then "kaput" Also when you buy something that old you tend to replace more and more parts to make it right. Trust me I know!!!! we put about 4k into our 94 and sold it for 5500.:cry:

J&R Landscaping
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
It should habdle the above work just fine! What size trailer are you pulling?

Willofalltrades
01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
12' single axle for this year. I know what your saying about putting money into it. Thats why I want a new truck because I have been there too. But I spend $5000 on this truck and $15,000 on a daily driver I'm only out $20,000. Compared to $35,000 on a new F350 (if I'm driving it everyday I would get a diesel and probably a XLT).

Willofalltrades
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Then again if ford has good financing rates...

carcrz
01-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Try a newer Dodge w/ the Cummins. After towing w/ it, you won't go back.

Willofalltrades
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM

Z plan and I am brand loyal. lol Its how I was raised. Yea I know the cummins has the low end power for towing. The new Powerstroke 6.4L diesel is supposed to be beastly in the low RPMs.

RedWingsDet
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I dont think thats such a bad price. The oil leaking might be a rear main seal or the Ford oil pans were noted for rotting out. A new pan is around 150.00 and about 4-5 hours to put one in (if you have the right tools). Just remember its used so it could run very well for a week or two then "kaput" Also when you buy something that old you tend to replace more and more parts to make it right. Trust me I know!!!! we put about 4k into our 94 and sold it for 5500.:cry:

DITTO.

I had a simular expierence, had a 94, a week later the tranny went... in about 6 months I spent over 4k on the damn thing and sold it for $3500, and the week after I sold it, all the hubs had to be replaced. All in all, the time I had it, i didnt even put 10k on it.

If you want to make money, spend money and get a nicer truck. Not saying you have to get a brand new one iwth EVERY option and a diesel... But you can get a 2001-2004 250/2500HD 4x4 with under 70k for around 16k and sometimes you can get them with FACTORY extended warrantys.

BTW: why get a 6.4 the first year they come out? Dont you remember the 6.0's in 2003?

Willofalltrades
01-03-2007, 04:02 PM
BTW: why get a 6.4 the first year they come out? Dont you remember the 6.0's in 2003?

Oh god no I'm not getting a 6.4, I was just stating. I'm catching a leftover 2007 with a 6.0L. Hopefully Ford and Navistar did their homework on this new engine. Plus... Cummins might have their share of problems with their new Diesel (I doubt it but its possible) only time will tell.

J&R Landscaping
01-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh god no I'm not getting a 6.4, I was just stating. I'm catching a leftover 2007 with a 6.0L. Hopefully Ford and Navistar did their homework on this new engine. Plus... Cummins might have their share of problems with their new Diesel (I doubt it but its possible) only time will tell.

After talking to a few cummins people at the Diesel nationals, it sounds like cummins did there homework.

Dodge is between a rock and a hard place with this new engine. If the engine is like the early 6.0 Fords, Dodges truck sales will plunge super low. Thats the main reason people buy the Dodge trucks IMO. Without that Cummins, there's no point.

mikes landscaping
01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Seem's like a nice truck, but like evryone said, older truck = repairs. I always loved that style truck. With that truck also being 12 years old, its loose, it probably runs hard and rattles. good luck.
-pete

Willofalltrades
01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Thats the main reason people buy the Dodge trucks IMO. Without that Cummins, there's no point.

haha oh crap I can already hear the dodge people starting to post. lol

Willofalltrades
01-04-2007, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=mikes landscaping;1662134] I always loved that style truck. /QUOTE]

Same, There like a hott Italian chick, I always feel I got to get one.

J&R Landscaping
01-05-2007, 08:50 PM
If your mileage is not that great, give the truck a tune up. I tuned mine up late in November. Just calculated some milage and I'm getting about 11 mpg. Not bad but better then I thought.

I ran the truck completely out of fuel in the front tank to account for every possible mile. I went about 18 miles further then I was expecting to go.

Willofalltrades
01-06-2007, 03:04 AM
I'm guessing post #21 is in the wrong thread...

J&R Landscaping
01-07-2007, 12:23 AM
No, I put it in there.

In an earlier post, I mentioned about my 5.8L getting 9 mpg, wanted to change that since it turns out the mileage is better. The last time I measured the mpg, it was before I tuned it up. After I tuned it up, the mileage got better. Just something to keep in mind if your milage with that truck is not the best.

roguesuerte
01-07-2007, 12:42 AM
The truck looks pretty clean, in general. I would still have a mechanic you trust, give it the once over. I have an F-250 I bought 8 years ago, used, that has cost me less than a few hundred dollars a year in mechanics repair & inspections despite the fact that it leaks small amounts of oil/tranny fluid. The truck is twenty years old this year but still looks great from 5' away which is all we need. Best of luck if you decide to pick it up. Steve

Willofalltrades
01-08-2007, 11:14 AM
No, I put it in there.

In an earlier post, I mentioned about my 5.8L getting 9 mpg, wanted to change that since it turns out the mileage is better. The last time I measured the mpg, it was before I tuned it up. After I tuned it up, the mileage got better. Just something to keep in mind if your milage with that truck is not the best.

Oh sorry for my blond moment. Good advice

Potchkins
01-13-2007, 04:55 PM
i third this motiton, but to the point at hand
try www.trucktrader.com for a price check or
you might find a better buy