PDA

View Full Version : productivity question

newbomb
01-03-2007, 03:06 PM
I plan to market to residential lawns of 1 to 1.5 acres this season. How many lawns per day should I expect to handle with a ztr, a 48" walk behind and another motivated person to help? I am also planning to work a tight route. What quantity of production would be reasonable to expect? Also I plan to cut flat properties and ones with average amounts of landscaping. Basically one acre mansions. Any opinions would help.

carcrz
01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
What size of ZTR. W/ a 61" you should be able to get an acre an hour w/ trimming. I would give myself 2 hours to be safe. You'll probably want to make sure that if you're using 2 mowers that they are the same width. I have had customers frown on using different widths. They were okay w/ it when I told them the other mower was being serviced.

lawnpro724
01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
It doesn't take long to mow a 1-2 acre lot but it does take a very long time to trim around a good size house especially if there are lots of trees in the yard and other stuff you have to trim around and then blow everything off. I would say if your motivated and work hard you should be able to handle 4-5 depending on amount of work required at each location and drive time.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I say that you shoudl be able to get abotu 6-8. Now, there are alot of variables to consider with this and the two big ones are:
1. How quickly you can work and still do a GREAT Job...
2. How much detail work (Trimming, edging, etc.) there is to be done.

If you can minimize the detail, or speed up the work while keeping quality, then with help, I do not see where 6-8 is unreasonable, provided you are talking about an 8-10 hour work day.

newbomb
01-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Thank you all. I have been cutting smaller properties for years and now want to start using a rider more. I figured 6, 1 acre properties per day would be something I could do consistently, so I am not far off.

jeffex
01-04-2007, 12:55 PM
i HAVE A 7/8 ACRE FLAT PROPERTY I cut with a 48" w/b & velky & trim in 1hr . easy. My son and I cut it with a 36" & 48" & trim in 40 min. he uses the 48 in 5th gear while I trim for 10 min then I jump on the 36 w/ velky. I would get a lazer if I had more of these type accounts. The equip. & personnel you mentioned I would say 2 per hour right next to each other .

Daner
01-04-2007, 01:16 PM
2 guys with the right equipment can bang off alot of work In a 10 hr day.
You may be able to do close to 12...you will soon see once you get going on It.

Willofalltrades
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
2 guys with the right equipment can bang off alot of work In a 10 hr day.
You may be able to do close to 12...you will soon see once you get going on It.

Yea, A Turf Tiger will make short work of these props. Cutting flat 1 acre props that are fairly open with a little trimming and a blow... I would think its easy for you to do 12. figure 45 min. a prop. plus a lunch break.

Jpocket
01-04-2007, 02:52 PM
10 a day with a GOOD Trimmer guy. I would only do it 4 days a week if it's just the two of you, b/c if it rains 2 days in a row, high end lawns can't go 14 days without being cut. It's just not acceptable.

newbomb
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Thank you guys. I have had the 61 turf tiger one year (used though). I have not really had the opportunity to work it to its true capacity. I know there fast and I was hoping for 8 to 9 lawns per day assuming I can get some side by side or close together. I am really used to town houses I can bang 4 or so per hour on the same block. I have to quit walking so much though.

Thanks

Jpocket
01-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Thank you guys. I have had the 61 turf tiger one year (used though). I have not really had the opportunity to work it to its true capacity. I know there fast and I was hoping for 8 to 9 lawns per day assuming I can get some side by side or close together. I am really used to town houses I can bang 4 or so per hour on the same block. I have to quit walking so much though.

Thanks

9-10 Is realistic. You could do that many on a consistent basis. I am one of those ppl. who tend to over book work, which is good when the checks start rolling in. You could at times do 12-13 a day, but not a consistent basis. If you do over book, you be cursing yourself on Saturday and Sunday after noons, like I do most of the time :) :)

Uranus
01-04-2007, 05:57 PM
I do 46 lawns it three days solo with a 60 lazer. Now you say your going to have 2 guys and 2 mowers. You should be able to get more done than you expect. One of the 46 is over 4 acres on 100% hill. If you were working for me with another guy and the right gear I would expect atleast 16 a day. I've done 18 per day solo before. And I only work 8 to 9 1/2 hours a day.

Precision
01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
My Thursday route is as follows for 8/31/06

#1 .75 acre of turf: mow,edge, line trim, blow
#2 1.2 acre turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow, roundup
#3 .10 acres turf: mow edge, line trim, blow, round up
#4 2.25 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow
#5 1.25 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow, round up
#6 1.15 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow
#7 .85 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow, round up
#8 .95 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow
#9 .18 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow
#10 .18 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow
#11 .18 acres turf: mow, edge, line trim, blow
#12 4.25 acres turf: mow only rough cut once monthly

#1 and #2 do not require moving the truck
#10 and #11 are side by side
all others require at least a drive of 1/2 mile between stops.
The entire route is about 35-40 miles of driving
I drive to the furthest property and work back towards the shop. I turned on the mower at 8AM at the first property and was back at the shop at a few minutes after 5PM. This was working with a helper from 8AM till 1PM with a 20-30 minute lunch stop and solo after lunch.

The larger properties are with my 60" gravely ZTR
the small ones were with my 36" Scag ZTR except #11 which used the 21" due to swales and #3 which is just too small for anything other than a 21"

This is from my cut sheets for actual production. This is not our peak season example, but it is a normal non-peak season time.

lawnprosteveo
01-04-2007, 08:43 PM
With my 52" Toro ZTR I can knock out an acre with lots of trees and trimming in an hour with my wife mowing and me trimming. If your properties dont have alot of trees/trimming, then I'd say at least one per hour and then figure in seat time.