PDA

View Full Version : Scag or Emark

Grasshog
06-30-2001, 02:52 AM
I just recieved a contract with Parks and Rec Dept here in NC.
I run Bobcats now. I went today to the dealer with plans on buying two more Bobcats. Dealer in Mt Holly, NC is a local hardware
store. They are to slow on sales and service. After 35 mins of standing around I walked out. Now I"m looking at Scag and Exmark. Looking for info on dealers. Hows service from dealers? Which mower is te choice?

Fine Lines Lawn
06-30-2001, 08:59 AM
Scag and ExMark both make good walk-behinds. My preference is for Scag because I had them first and got used to the controls. Both brands cut great.

Grasshog
06-30-2001, 10:19 AM
Thank YOu for your insight.

Eric ELM
06-30-2001, 10:35 AM
I moved this thread from the Lawnsite Announcements forum to here since this is where all the action is and where it really belongs. :)

rdh
06-30-2001, 05:25 PM
around here most change from orange to red.
if i ever get to change it will be from yellow to stainless.

Acute Cut
06-30-2001, 09:17 PM
I have run both machines for about 3 years each. On the bottom line total for repairs i spent alot LESS on exmark. The scags were damaged constantly. No biasism here, just facts ppl.

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-30-2001, 10:28 PM
I own both brands of machines also. I do prefer the Exmark over the skag for the same reasons as Acute Cut.

Scott
PrimeGreen

Grasshog
07-01-2001, 10:31 AM
Thank You all. Exmark I will own. Thanks once again

Island Lawn
07-01-2001, 10:42 AM
I bit the bullet and bought red.
The $ on the orange sure does look good up front. But these things tend to turn around and bite you where you keep your wallet!
I'm happy with my choice.

BTW, I've the micro-mulch kit on mine f/t and wouldn't have it any other way!

Grasshog
07-02-2001, 11:09 PM
83% says exmark. I feel much better about buying one now.

Garden Path
07-04-2001, 04:00 PM
look here ppl, i don't know what kind of yards you cut. but around here we cut grass, and for the best cut u best buy a scag, nothing compares to a scag. I will put everythign on the line that scag is a better mower than ur lil exmark thing.

dhicks
07-04-2001, 04:28 PM
Every day I see what the competition uses. If I were not a Hustler fan, I'd buy the eXmark hands down. The eXmark has a superior cut I.M.H.O. as compared to the Scag.

dhicks
07-04-2001, 04:32 PM
Good for you. I wish my daughter would help me out. But then again she is a girl and what do they know? OOPS... Wrong topic!

awm
07-04-2001, 06:05 PM
im sure you got a good mower gardenpath. by the way what are you willing to put on the line.

Garden Path
07-04-2001, 06:11 PM
i have used a exmark many of times, and i.m.h.o they hold nothin got the scag. The scag is jsut more machine for what we pay for mowers. They have better performance, cut, handling, and are physically stronger, and more durable. So i will anything on my scag.

AB Lawn Care
07-04-2001, 08:53 PM
Let's face it people.......they are both great machines!!!!

The bottem line is not red or orange.....it DEALER SERVICE,DEALER SERVICE AND DEALER SERVICE!!!!!!!!

Grasshog-It does not matter how great your machine is....its going to breakdown one day and that's when dealer service will save or break you.

Please keep that in mind......that's 7 years fulltime talking!

SLS
07-04-2001, 08:58 PM
Exmark. No doubt about it.

Period.

Dealer service is of the utmost importance but the trick is keeping trips to the repair shop to an absolute minimum...and Exmark wins this category....hands down.

Comet
07-04-2001, 09:01 PM
I was forced to buy eXmarks 3 years ago due to financing availability and what I had available to spend.
I have 2 eXmarks but each time I walk into a store I still fancy the scag machines and wished I owned a scag for some reason, still cant afford one, so I mosey on past them :(

I cant compare though in performance. I think scag has better hp
My eXmarks are doing well to this day, with no problems, but If I had to start over Id go with scags (I think) But then again eXmark has the awesome lazor vac
Guess i wasnt any help at all

Congrats on your new contract with the Dept of Parks and Recreation

John DiMartino
07-04-2001, 10:11 PM
Garden path,right next to my big commercial account,the competition uses Scags.Unless they have something wrong,those mowers cant cut 1/2 as good as mine,they always leave strips,and seldom cut clean,or discharge clean.They have both WB's and 2 60" zero turns.My Dixie can out cut them going twice as fast,and I think there's room for improvement on my Deck.Ransones WB's cut great,so do Toro's and Exmarks,All the scags here clump grass week after week if its tall or wet.

awm
07-04-2001, 10:26 PM
okay erick i know we are getting close to the edge of the rules here. but i will for fun mow against your scag. gardenpath the only one needs to think your scag is the best is you.you do,so problems solved.personaly ive posted before that i like the way they look.
i am very satisfied with the 52 lazer i run.now if i can figure
out how to mow fast in the rain tomorrow,my problem be solved.
later now

Comet
07-04-2001, 10:45 PM
John and all,
Most likly it was a good thing I had purchaced eXmarks over scags then,
Ill keep walking past them in the showroom with less guilt,
perhaps it was the name and higher price that intimidated me
eXmark is eXcellent machine
As I said before I had no problems with them
All and all Im proud of my eXmarks and cutts,,
If and when I ever have to go over a second time do make a lawn perfect due to certain conditions I do so, **** happens sometimes.
The lazor vac is eXcellent, just have to watch the turns due to the increased weight

Eric ELM
07-04-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Garden Path
look here ppl, i don't know what kind of yards you cut. but around here we cut grass, and for the best cut u best buy a scag, nothing compares to a scag. I will put everythign on the line that scag is a better mower than ur lil exmark thing.

Garden Path, calm down for a bit here. This forum is not here for a spitting contest to see who has the best mower. As I have said before on Lawnsite, everyone buys the brand they buy because they feel it is the best mower for them. I didn't buy the brand I bought because I felt is was the worst on the market and there are lots of different brands so we can all have a choice.

Lets break this down a bit. You said, look here ppl, i don't know what kind of yards you cut. but around here we cut grass, and for the best cut u best buy a scag, nothing compares to a scag.

That is a pretty bold statement to be making. I see you are 18 years old and I just wanted to let you know that I bought my oldest mower which is not a Scag, when you were 11 years old and today it hit 3,500 hours. I did look at your lawn pictures and they do look nice. Since you asked what kind of lawns we mow, below is one of the lawns we mow and I feel that it doesn't look bad enough so I would want to switch brands in the near future.

http://elmlawnsite.com/images/kwasak.jpg

Grasshog
07-04-2001, 11:32 PM
Thomm , I understand about the want a Scag feeling. I dont know why but for some reason I"ve allways wanted at least one. That High back seat sure is sweet.
Thank You. I hope this deal with Park and Recreaction works out.

I start Monday July 9th.

Eric those are some pretty stripes. I cant spend the money on two DC right now are I"d jump all over them. I have ta go with the cash flow.

JLC
07-04-2001, 11:52 PM
I'm the owner of a Scag and probably would look hard at Hustler or Exmark before I bought another Scag. I'm very disappointed with the drive system and discharge of the cut clippings. Mine is a 1999 without the advantage deck and from what I've heard the new deck is better, but I haven't tried one so I can't comment for sure on its performance. As for the drive system, do a search on Scag hydro trouble and then one on Exmark hydro trouble, it will open your eyes.

VINNY MINELLA
07-05-2001, 12:32 AM
I TRIED MY FRIENDS TURF TIGER THE OTHER DAY. NICE MOWER BUT I WOULD TAKE MY L. C. 60 INCH LAZER ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. HE HAS A LAZER A BOBCAT AND THE TURF TIGER ALL ZERO TURNS, AND THE ONE HE LIKES THE BEST THE LAZER HANDS DOWN.

Grasshog
07-05-2001, 10:31 AM
AB LAWN, Your right, servive from the dealer has to count for at least 60% of the sale. The mower only makes money while its running. I havent figured out how to make a good profit with them parked in the building. As soon as I do figure it out I'l make sure to post it.

Poor service from my Bobcat dealer is the reason for the change in mowers.

sdwally
07-05-2001, 04:06 PM
We demoed 11 different ZTRs late last year. Of those Exmark and Scag were the two best for us. Mainly due to the availablity of 72" decks.
Of those two we thought Scag outperformed Exmark.
Scag unit was a 31hp turbo charged diesel Saber Tooth Tiger with mulching kit. Exmark was 27hp diesel with mulching kit.
In heavy grass Scag pass was clean and faster, Exmark would bog down trying to keep up and then would leave clumps. On steep slopes Exmark would lose traction and take you for a ride! Check your pants when done ride. Scag maintain traction and mowed where the Exmark would or could not go.
On the diesel units, Exmark's engine compartment design is very poor. Hard to get to items to service and just try adding oil to the engine, what a pain.
When looking at new units ask mechanics in your area what they like and dislike about the units their store sells. It is way to easy for them to talk about units that they don't sell or service regularly.
Personally I like to hear about what thier machines can do, rather than what the competition's can't do.

Comet
07-05-2001, 04:27 PM
I still like my eXmarks and there all paid off :blob3:
31HP is nice, WOW

Garden Path
07-05-2001, 05:12 PM
aight that is it, you all like exmark, toro, snapper, dixie, whatever. but i am for the scag, even though i have ran all of your machines, i still pick the scag. And i don't know why you go to go 1.5 mph faster than me, on your dixie, the faster you go the more strain you put on the machine, you have a better chance to miss grass, messed up lines, scalp marks, so you go 1.5 mph faster than me, and save 15 minutes a day.
c-ya
the garden path

oneEXMARKfan
07-05-2001, 06:01 PM
Don't know Garden Path. How fast the grass is mowed doesn't have anything to do with motor "strain".........dull blades would...... "messed up lines"......Depends who you are, and how good you are. Seems to me, the longer the engine is running, the more wear it's going to get. So you go slow, use extra gas, more hours (mait. oil, filters, ect.)......hmmmmm......glad you like Scag......hope you always have good luck with Scag. But, don't assume others have to go slow to do a good job, just because you and your Scag do......... (only 1.5 mph faster?
lol............how fast are you mowing? .....bet we go alot faster than the [1.5mph faster] that you think we do)