PDA

View Full Version : Customers that don't Water

roscioli
06-30-2001, 10:49 AM
Hey guys, what do you do about customers that don't water their lawns? I had to re-seed an area along their driveway (because it was just paved last fall), and they havent watered it once. They won't get irrigation. Is there something I can do other than beg them to water? Their whole lawn burned out last summer, and while they didnt seem to mind, I did, because it meant no mowing income! What do you guys do in these cases?

Chuck Sinclair
06-30-2001, 10:58 AM
Tell them to take a hike you can only maintain yards that meet certain standards and they don't. it makes you look bad.

Premo Services
06-30-2001, 11:21 AM
:mad: I have a customer that I picked up last year. The job pays well, and the customer pays quick. They have a sprinkler system and early this spring, they were watering too much,with the rain I was throwing water off my tires. I finaly got them to slow the watering down. Now, they hardly water at all, theur lawn is so brown. i have given them info about proper watering techniques. The owner was home last week and made a comment about how brown the lawn was, and we talked aboutt watering more, but he told me that if he waters more, the only thing that will happen is the grass will grow. DUH- The only thing that will happen is it will grow, and be nice and green to compliment their 1/2 million + dollar home.Some people, spend the money to install a sprinkler system, then never use it, because you might have to cut every week.

roscioli
06-30-2001, 01:34 PM
Sinclac, I cant afford to drop these people, its $40 a mowing, real easy, flat area, and they were my first customer ever. They are real nice people, just lazy when it comes to yardwork.

peteloare
06-30-2001, 04:42 PM
Tell them to begin by using a s.c.u. fert. at 1lb. N / 1000 sq ft. 2 x per year. Set your mowers a 3" - 3 1/2". This should get them through a dry spell and keep you working.

hobbes
06-30-2001, 05:05 PM
Customers that don't water are my favorites. Get them on contract & run the mower over every week at 4", minimal trimming, easy money. Plus you can skip them if it's real hot.

Samurai WeedWacker
06-30-2001, 08:21 PM
Mechanical timers to hook up between faucet and hose are available for about $10 each at Walmart. Just set the timer and forget about having to come back and shut off the water.

You can get fancier programmable timers for about $30 each.

script
06-30-2001, 08:35 PM
If they refuse to water the lawn, I mow it anyway unles they complain about it. I'd like to drop the ones that do that, but I try to work with them if they're good customers, and explain that it's easier to maintain your lawn by watering, than to repair it from drought damage. Unless you get out there and water it yourself, there isn't much you can do to change them other than suggestion. We were suffering here until Allison came through here and dropped us 20+ inches a few weeks ago. Since then we've been pretty much back to normal with the rain on a daily basis. Good luck to ya.

Bobby

NateinAtl
07-01-2001, 12:18 AM
It's a tough call with some customers. If you get them on a contract everything is OK for you. If not, you lose out. Don't make the mistake of being loyal to them just because they were your first customer. You are in the business to make money, and they are obviously trying to keep costs down. It really is up to you.

GreenQuest Lawn
07-01-2001, 01:10 AM
I agree, get contracts. 90% of my accounts are seasonal contracts. It has been really dry here so I figure up to 50% of my lawns will be skipped this week. No worries though at the end of the month they pay the same.

Grasshog
07-01-2001, 01:38 PM
I have one street we do 9 lawns on. I allways cut the one with out the sprinkler system first. When I'm done I turn on the hose and go cut the rest.

Of course i know I shouldnt do, but the money is good and a little H2o is better then none.

Your customer knows its not your wrong doing

lawnboy82
07-01-2001, 02:26 PM
as far as i can think of none of my lawns have irrigation. last year i had a couple with it. all i can say is this, make sure if you need money that you have a nice long list of side jobs. and if they dont water areas that you seed, seed doesnt come in. i personally dont mind this. you do the work, charge for it, doesnt come in, do the work again, charge for it again.

bobbygedd
07-02-2001, 10:28 AM
i actually have customers that pay me $200-300 to thatch and reseed their lawn, every fall. it looks great in spring, as time goes on the heat and lack of rain does them in, then they ask me to thatch and reseed in fall. i cant figure it out, they are given proper watering instructions every year, and wont turn on the hose even once. we cut it weekly anyway, maybe skip 2 cuts per season due to "no growth"