PDA

View Full Version : Edgers -Handheld or Push & Manufacturer?

Tim Wright
01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
This one is a new to me this year. I will be needing to buy an edger.

Do you all recommend a hand held trimmer type or a wheeled push type?

What brands are the best? That is work the best with the least break downs.

Thank you,

Tim

Allens LawnCare
01-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I've like the stick edgers, there quick and easy but take a little practice. What type of trimmer do you have? If you have a good commercial trimmer it would be cheaper to buy the attatchment instead of a push edger

Tim Wright
01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I have a Stihl FS 80 or 85, and will buy a new 4stroke in a month or two.

Tim

Allens LawnCare
01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not to familiar with Sthil, I have all Echo....Personally I have a great dealer so I get great service if anything goes. Nothings gone wrong with them yet, I think they're great commercial machines

Lazer_Z
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Tim, go to your Stihl dealer and ask about the FC110.

Rob

dchd1130
01-03-2007, 06:15 PM
You can get a edger gearbox for the FS80 or 85 and switch out between the trimmer gear box or edger but that is kind of a pain if you need both machines. FC75, 90, 95, or 110 are all striaght shaft edger by Stihl FC75 is a curved shaft edger with the same engine as your 80 or 85

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
01-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I would say just go with Echo or Stihl. We are going to start converting to Stihl in the future.

Scagguy
01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I use an Echo stick edger. 4 yrs old and still going strong.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-03-2007, 06:25 PM
You can get a edger gearbox for the FS80 or 85 and switch out between the trimmer gear box or edger but that is kind of a pain if you need both machines. FC75, 90, 95, or 110 are all striaght shaft edger by Stihl FC75 is a curved shaft edger with the same engine as your 80 or 85

THis info is correct..... I would purchase the gearbox edger attatchment for the fs85........It will work with the 110 also if you purchase that. That is what I would do....its the most economical.

If I had a project that required 1/2 mile of edging like in a subdivision........I would consider a walkbehind model. I have a craftsman with a 3.5 briggs on it and it is more than enough power

wayne

Tim Wright
01-03-2007, 07:19 PM
That is what I will do then.

Tim

saw man
01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I like the Redmax straight shaft stick edger.

LawnTamer
01-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a Stihl fs 85 stick edger and am very happy with it. we use it about 98% of the time. The other 2% (when the lawn hasn't been edged and is like 4" overgrown) we use a MacLane push edger from Home Depot, it is really a piece of junk, but we only use it about 10 times/year, yet it requires 10 times the maintenance of the Stihl. I would like to get the Stihl 110 and see if I couldn't scrap the MacLane.

Those of you w/ the 110, will it cut a new edge?

captken
01-03-2007, 11:24 PM

What brands are the best? That is work the best with the least break down?

Tim

Well tim ole boy, this is NOT a new one to us..I recommend you use the search feature located for your convience, at the top of this page....

It is post like this that keeps me off here.

Sorry, but thats the way I feel...don't waste our time....too many people have already been there and done that...

CHECK THE ARCHIVES!!!!

kenny.

captken
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM

What brands are the best? That is work the best with the least break down?

Tim

Well tim ole boy, this is NOT a new one to us..I recommend you use the search feature located for your convience, at the top of this page....

look here, you lazy bastar.......? http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=1372425

That took all of hmmm. maybe 3 seconds....50, did I say 50 plus pages of results....

kenny.

Tim Wright
01-04-2007, 10:42 AM

look here, you lazy bastar.......? http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=1372425

That took all of hmmm. maybe 3 seconds....50, did I say 50 plus pages of results....

kenny.

Yup Kenny, I doubt your dad gave you much of anything, especially wisdom.

You know, sometimes there are reasons that others do not do things the way you would do them.

Let me give you an example:

Sometimes Companies and/or their product lines change, and what was once a solid line or brand, has a lemon out. So I perfer to know what is current before I go and spend several hundred or thousand dollars on equipment, and not go on old news.

Also, your dad should have taught and given you a few manners or two.

Thanks for your post though, I do understand why the search feature is there and do use it from time to time.

Do not blame anyone but yoruself if you chose to say off of here.

Regards, and have a great new year. 50% or more of it will be what you make of it.

Tim

LawnTamer
01-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Sorry, but thats the way I feel...don't waste our time....too many people have already been there and done that...

CHECK THE ARCHIVES!!!!

kenny.

When I see a thread I'm not interested in- I just don't read it. This is a constantly changing industry, a lot of guys are looking at models that didn't exist 1 yr ago.
If people only posted questions never asked before, there would be 2 threads a week.

Runner
01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Actually, there IS alot of good info on this further back. I have addressed this edger issue numerous times myself. I will state what I have stated before, and there are LENGTHY threads backing this up from numerous people.
If you are going to have any ONE edger, you need a wheeled edger. It does it all. Stick edgers are quick for the convenience of grabbing them, but that is about where it ends. you need something not only with more power, but something that is not going to be as labor intensive if either you have a heavy buildup to take off - as in an initial edge, OR if you have any lengthy edging to do - like commercials and such. With a wheeled edger, it is as easy as just walking along with little effort, sometimes with as little as two fingers per hand is all it takes to hold on to it. If you've used a stick edger for any length of time, you will know that it does get fatiguing as you have to keep the unit pushed down into the ground with your arm. With a wheeled edger, the weight of the machine does this for you.
As far as the person that didn't have good luck with their McClane edger, I sure can't understand this, because we have used McClane edgers for more than 20 years and they have been awesome. For the amount of machine and use you get per dollar, you can't go wrong. Oh, we HAVE done some maintenance on some, like changing bearings (and belts of course) occasionally and such, but structurally, they have been awesome. One of the things about edgers, and this applies to ANY edgers - stick or wheeled, is that you have to keep decent blades on them. Blades are cheap. Otherwise, you can wear a unit out making it work so hard. decent blades just make it cut SO much easier. I hope this helps. :)

J&R Landscaping
01-04-2007, 02:41 PM
If you looking for a good edger and can afford to spend some money, look into a Tanaka TLE600. The Tanaka rep might be able to give you some info on these machines.

If I was going with a Stick edger, I would go with either an Echo PE 230, PE260 or a Shindaiwa LE260.

Tim Wright
01-04-2007, 06:28 PM
We'll everyone. I went in to visit my Stihl dealer today.

He showed me what I am certain I will buy.

That would be a Stihl 130 4mix head, a stick edger, the trimmer heard for it, and a side sickle-hedge trimmer. It is a quick attach system, commercial grade. If I get two of them I can interchange tools and everyone will be cross compatible from crew to crew. (If you know some good reason why this IS NOT the way to go, because of previous experience with this set up please tell me).

So the wheeled-dedicated edger at this time is no longer an option.

I think I am going to pick up a couple of Stihl BP Blowers to go with it also. The $25.00 Yard Sale Homelite BP Blower is not going to hold up under this years jobs coming up.

I thank you all for your input.

Tim

WALKER LANDSCAPE
01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I like the stick edgers you will get the hang of it.

C.T. Lawn Care
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I have the 110 and it will make a new edge but it will take a little while. I has plenty of power but it will wear your arms out!

Tim Wright
01-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I have the 110 and it will make a new edge but it will take a little while. I has plenty of power but it will wear your arms out!

I might wind up rotating the guys around with it then.

Tim

ed2hess
01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
If you looking for a good edger and can afford to spend some money, look into a Tanaka TLE600. The Tanaka rep might be able to give you some info on these machines.

If I was going with a Stick edger, I would go with either an Echo PE 230, PE260 or a Shindaiwa LE260.
We have never used an edger so here goes for a stupid question. I have a new property that is one mile long with sidewalks and we are now thinking it would be faster to edge than trim. When edging a curb can you go in either direction with the Echo? I would like to always be facing the on coming traffic not with my back to it.

lawnprosteveo
01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
I had a McClain push edger my first season....after trying out a stick edger, I quickly switched over to it....I find them faster/easier....also take up no space on the trailer floor.

Just Mow
01-04-2007, 11:49 PM
I might wind up rotating the guys around with it then.

Tim

You won't have to rotate them. The 130 has 40%ore power than the 110. Plenty to get the job done.

J&R Landscaping
01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I guess you could. I only go in 1 direct because I am more comfortable going that way. I try to keep the wheel on the pavement when I use it. I have done it the other way a few times but I jsut don't like doing it that direction.