PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z Bac-Vac or mulching kit

greenkeeper
01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Hello,

First post but I have read for awhile.

I have a Super Z 60/27 and I am trying to decide on the Bac-Vac or just getting the mulching kit. My question is what would you guys suggest. I live in North East Tennessee and really just mow around 6 yards per week but thinking of picking up more. I have a daily job and just mow on the side. I would really like to get the bac-vac due to the amount of leaves in my yard in the fall and the pain it is to get up each year...I just can't decide whether to bac-vac it or mulch. By the way I can get a used 1 year old bac-vac for $1,400.00. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also would be interested in the best blade set up also, I just use the stock blades pre-fusion.

Thanks,
Chris

JB1
01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
i have a vaccum system for one and we mulch more than anything else, block off the chute and grind the leaves to nothing, the vaccum works good, but we don't use it much.

nmez21
01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I was thinking about a bac-vac a couple months ago. I did some research and ended up going with an Accelerator XL catcher w/ extender. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it would seem that the Accelerator is a much better value. For a bac-vac, installation requires quite a bit more time, rather than just drilling 1 hole on your deck lip with the Accl. Although you cannot dump from the seat w/ an Accelerator, the capacity of the bac-vac is almost equaled with the extender. And it's a bit cheaper to get an Accelerator as well. JMO

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Hello,

I have a Super Z 60/27 and I am trying to decide on the Bac-Vac or just getting the mulching kit. My question is what would you guys suggest. I live in North East Tennessee and really just mow around 6 yards per week but thinking of picking up more. I have a daily job and just mow on the side. I would really like to get the bac-vac due to the amount of leaves in my yard in the fall and the pain it is to get up each year...I just can't decide whether to bac-vac it or mulch. By the way I can get a used 1 year old bac-vac for $1,400.00. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also would be interested in the best blade set up also, I just use the stock blades pre-fusion.

Thanks,
Chris

Just mulch it up. We live in similar areas...And with mulching, I've seen that even the leafiest of lawns can be cleaned up with the mulch kit alone if you stay on top of it.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
p.s. Use a Hustler mulch kit and standard non fusion mulching blades or gators. The wavy blades that are to be used with the newer style Hustler decks are very weak at the lift points, are hard to sharpen, and imo do not cut very well.

LawnTamer
01-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Just mulch it up. We live in similar areas...And with mulching, I've seen that even the leafiest of lawns can be cleaned up with the mulch kit alone if you stay on top of it.

Are you double or triple cutting to mulch up leaves? I've been looking at a Super Z. I would love if I could get away with mulching spring, summer, fall.

gene gls
01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello,

Thanks,
Chris

Thats a good price, perviding its not beat up. Some opperators forget its back there when they turn. The Bac-Vac units work very well. Make sure you keep your blower belts lined up with the pulleys. There has been changes to the deck openings so you may need an adopter kit. Hustler has the best vac unit on the market, in my opinion. It can be put on and off in minuets by one person, dump from the seat for on site dumping.

HenryB
01-03-2007, 09:15 PM
The capacity is only 9 bushels, just not enough for a 60 inch deck.Once you try one you'll see it's a real problem.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Are you double or triple cutting to mulch up leaves? I've been looking at a Super Z. I would love if I could get away with mulching spring, summer, fall.

During the fall, when cutting frequency drops, I usually double cut leafy accounts to make the leaves disappear. If the area is extremely leaf covered(8-12") I'll cut once with the deck raised all the way up... then twice at normal hoc. On smaller accounts, I do use the mulch kits year round. On my parks and ballfields(25+acre areas), I'm only able to mulch during the winter-spring transition and during the fall. In my experience, Hustlers have the best mulching performance around...and I've riden everything.

captken
01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
And it works.

www.grasscatchersusa.com

Humbolt specialties.

That is the exact thing I use....Holds 14 bushels and is what I run on my Hustler Z. Better than backvac IMOP. Leaves..lol.. you the option of easily bagging leaves or if the customer has a compost heap or the city vaccums up leaves, just dump the bagger's bags...

works for me.

kenny.

gene gls
01-04-2007, 12:20 AM
The capacity is only 9 bushels, just not enough for a 60 inch deck.Once you try one you'll see it's a real problem.

No problem at all. The bigger the hopper the heavier the unit is with wet grass and the deeper the ruts are in soft ground.

TLS
01-04-2007, 10:19 AM
No problem at all. The bigger the hopper the heavier the unit is with wet grass and the deeper the ruts are in soft ground.

Gene,

Most guys only use baggers for leaves, and as I'm sure you know, you cant go far before the hoppers full when the leaves are heavy.

HenryB
01-04-2007, 10:33 AM

I have a lot of experience with baggers from Walkers to Ultra Vacs to Protero etc etc. Nine bushels does not cut it. Scag has 16. Exmark 15. Protero DFS at 16 bushels.Nine does not cut it. It's been brought to Hustlers attention and they are not going to adress it.

greenkeeper
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, I am a bit torn...the 1,400.00 is a good price for the bac-vac but I don't really think I should buy it just because it is a good deal. I do want a bagger though...just not sure if I want one for 1400.00. I would really like to look more into the possibilities for mulching. During the early spring the grass grows at a pretty quick rate for mowing 1X per week so i am not sure if mulching is going to be the best option or not.

What do you guys think the best scenerio for mulching is for the 60/27 super Z?

Thanks,
Chris

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, I am a bit torn...the 1,400.00 is a good price for the bac-vac but I don't really think I should buy it just because it is a good deal. I do want a bagger though...just not sure if I want one for 1400.00. I would really like to look more into the possibilities for mulching. During the early spring the grass grows at a pretty quick rate for mowing 1X per week so i am not sure if mulching is going to be the best option or not.

What do you guys think the best scenerio for mulching is for the 60/27 super Z?

Thanks,
Chris

If you plan on maintaining accounts that are under 3 acres, you will probably be able to mulch year round...before I got my municipal contracts, that's what I did. The only time mulching will cause you any problems is when crabgrass season is in full swing. You might find yourself double cutting here and there. But on a machine as fast and producive as your super z, cutting twice will not cost you too much time. Justa get a mulch kit and ome gators and see what I mean.

gene gls
01-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Gene,

Most guys only use baggers for leaves, and as I'm sure you know, you cant go far before the hoppers full when the leaves are heavy.

True......But for us guys that collect all season, we know you can't take a 12 bushell hopper and fill it with wet grass on soft soil. 2006 the soil was soft most of the year. The Bac-Vac is a good overall size for all seasons. Its been the best one I have used, overall. I only buy ones that will dump from the seat. Like others have said, run over the leaves one time to reduce thier size before you collect. Its trial and erra for all of us. What works in one area of the country won't work in other areas. Same with mulch mowing, can't do it here, grass grows too fast.

Landscraper1
09-18-2010, 09:15 AM
In my company we mostly collect the grass. I have several Hustlers with collection systems. Through the years, I have tried different systems. The best so far is a combination of 2. I buy the blower itself from Hustler. It works great. Then I buy the hopper from Protero, which carries 14 bushels of grass and dumps from the seat.

The hopper is mostly mounted over the engine. It hangs off the back about half as much as the Bac-Vac and you can still fit a mower under it. This gives you more trailer space. It's expensive to buy both parts separate but, it's worth it.

TLS
09-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Holy old post Batman!
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
09-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Holy old post Batman!
Posted via Mobile Device

Some guys do use the serch button..............