PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hog T4 Trencher

aquamtic
01-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Does anyone use one of these little guys. We do quite a bit of installs in areas that our 410 can not make it into. THought it would be useful to trench from the laterals to where heads are being placed when no lawn is yet installed..

Would like some feedback!!!!

Wet_Boots
01-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Can't the DW 252 get to those places? There's a limit to how small the equipment can get. I remember seeing a sod-cutter rigged to do plowing, and the operator had to stand on a little platform they welded on, since the machine lacked weight. I'd see the T4 snagging a rock or root, and crawling right out of the trench it was digging.

aquamtic
01-04-2007, 07:35 AM
The 252 is the same width as a 255.

SprinklerGuy
01-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Had some in Arizona.....the guys loved it because they could leave the picks in the vans....I hated it because it was heavy and not self propelled....

I used them for 5 years.....went through several motors, several chains and various other parts as we beat the crap out of it.....very rocky in some areas...

For less than $2k you can't go wrong...rent one first...Home Depot has them around here for rent.....

Wet_Boots
01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
I know that nearly all the machines are trying to fit inside the three-foot width of a standard chainlink garden gate, but beyond that, there are differences. It might be easier to crab a 252 into a corner than a 255, which might be easier than a 410.

Could your T4 pull itself out of a trench? I had a DW do that to me once, and had to chase it across the yard. That kind of soured me on small trenchers.

SprinklerGuy
01-04-2007, 09:16 AM
That t4 couldn't pull itself out of a wet paper sack unless you yanked on it....

h20 guy
01-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Bought one used about 4 years ago, with the intention of using it for the same reason as you stated. Major downfall is that it is not self-propelled, and for the most part loves sand and black dirt, but don't challenge it with rocky soil, as it will greatly disappoint you and pull your arms out of your sockets at the same time! Used a Ditch Witch 1030 last week to trench in some electrical line for a friend, and now there is a machine that will trench.