PDA

View Full Version : Problems fixed on Exmarks Triton Deck??

greengiant9963
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
I know there have been a few unhappy customers mainly in the north who have been unhappy with the new triton deck. Stringers , clumping, etc. They have addressed the problem with a kit and increased blade tip speed for the 07 models. Maybe this will help the stringer and quality of cut. But how is suppose to help on the clumping. Sorry I just remember reading on exmarks website that it was the triton deck that could mow in any weather conditions. So just wondering what gives is there adjustment suppose to help with all the problems. Just curious. For being if not the most expensive or close to it mower out there I think they need to stand behind what they claim this deck will do. Does anyone else agree.

Runner
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
We'll see what the future brings, but IMO I think they would just be better off to go with the UltraCut deck....Another prime example...If it's not broke, Don't FIX it!

Jpocket
01-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I dunno hope it's fixed. I plan on buying one soon.

Tagg
01-03-2007, 10:49 PM
:usflag: Buy a Scag Turf Tiger, its the best cure to the Triton problems:usflag:

tacoma200
01-03-2007, 10:53 PM
I have heard the best reviews "so far" for the 7 iron II decks (and Scag velocity) so I would just stay with what works for you. I haven't demo'ed the new Triton decks and am waiting to hear results from the next mowing season on how they preform. Having said that I own a Lazer with the Ultra cut deck. I wouldn't trade it for a Deere, or Scag just because they do a little better in wet grass. It cuts exellent in all but wet condition and the way it is designed has a lot to do with why I like it, not just the deck. Many of my customers like the cut so well they insist I use the Exmark. I like the John Deere deck and the Scag deck but the rest of the mower does not impress me. So I can't base my decision on just a deck. It seems to me ALL mowers are a compromise. They all seem to have their strong points and weak points so I will try to find the best overall mower when I buy next time. I think it will be late Spring before you will know the answer to your question when the new decks (Trition) have been put through the test with Spring growth. So I'm waiting just like you. On another note I don't see any price differences much with the top ZTR mowers exept Hustler which is consistently less expensive. Deere and Scag seem to be as high or higher. Also Deere does not have a decent air cooled engine line up from what I can tell. (if I am mistaken I apologize but they all seem underpowered for me in an air cooled) What do they have in the 27 to 35 range as far as air cooled goes?

greengiant9963
01-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I have heard the best reviews "so far" for the 7 iron II decks (and Scag velocity) so I would just stay with what works for you. I haven't demo'ed the new Triton decks and am waiting to hear results from the next mowing season on how they preform. Having said that I own a Lazer with the Ultra cut deck. I wouldn't trade it for a Deere, or Scag just because they do a little better in wet grass. It cuts exellent in all but wet condition and the way it is designed has a lot to do with why I like it, not just the deck. Many of my customers like the cut so well they insist I use the Exmark. I like the John Deere deck and the Scag deck but the rest of the mower does not impress me. So I can't base my decision on just a deck. It seems to me ALL mowers are a compromise. They all seem to have their strong points and weak points so I will try to find the best overall mower when I buy next time. I think it will be late Spring before you will know the answer to your question when the new decks (Trition) have been put through the test with Spring growth. So I'm waiting just like you. On another note I don't see any price differences much with the top ZTR mowers exept Hustler which is consistently less expensive. Deere and Scag seem to be as high or higher. Also Deere does not have a decent air cooled engine line up from what I can tell. (if I am mistaken I apologize but they all seem underpowered for me in an air cooled) What do they have in the 27 to 35 range as far as air cooled goes?

tacoma,I agree with alot of what you are saying. I think that the 7 Iron and Scags new velocity decks are 2 of the best out there right now. I do have a Ultra Cut deck and it does leave a great cut. But using is side by side with the Deere there is no comparison on wet grass. I agree 100% about Deere not offering enough engine options. Would love it if the offered Kohler as a option. A 28 horse kohler EFI on a 60inch 7 iron deck would be a great combo.

tacoma200
01-04-2007, 12:30 AM
tacoma,I agree with alot of what you are saying. I think that the 7 Iron and Scags new velocity decks are 2 of the best out there right now. I do have a Ultra Cut deck and it does leave a great cut. But using is side by side with the Deere there is no comparison on wet grass. I agree 100% about Deere not offering enough engine options. Would love it if the offered Kohler as a option. A 28 horse kohler EFI on a 60inch 7 iron deck would be a great combo.

I think we are in complete agreement. Which is rare on Lawnsite.

nobagger
01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Our 07 Lazer HP we ordered is a 50" (Triton deck) with a 27hp Kholer, it does come with the "upgraded deck" I kinda went a little overkill on the hp but I figured more hp is better than not enough. We demoed an 06 Lazer Z with a 66" Triton last season and it seemed to blow through everything we could throw at it, it had a 27 or 30hp Kholer engine. It left a great cut with no stringers or clumping (but it was fairly dry out). I was not impressed with the stripe it left or lack of stripe I should say, but as long as it cuts well I will be happy. IMO, mower's and decks are for cutting and discharging grass, stripe kits are for making it look "purdy".

Envy Lawn Service
01-05-2007, 11:29 PM
To me.... this is a NON-ISSUE now for several reasons:

1) The upgraded Lazer AS w/UltraCut

2) Both of my decent local dealers are not selling eXmark anymore.
One had it out w/eXmark, the other went out of business

3) My area won't see updated Tritons for a long time because floor sales have been so pathetic. The dealer here might have sold a couple stock items total.

Personally, If I were going to buy any eXmark it would have the UltraCut. I just have no faith in the Triton or the updates until I see proof in long-term field results.

Myself... I'd put the Command Cut deck on my Lesco up against anything, cutting anything, in any condition. Cuts everything as beautiful as the UltraCut, plus everything it doesn't AND handles the wet perfectly too with no mess and nothing to scrape. So I'm a happy camper

I have respect for the UltraCut, but I'm happy with what I have. The UltraCut might possibly have an advantage of being more horsepower efficient in heavy growth. But I would have to witness that in person. No way am I willing to give up the clear advantages I have already for a slight maybe of the UltraCut.

But Lesco IS in the same boat as John Deere with engine selections.
You have to go to the Cub TANK version for engine selections.

rotgg
01-19-2007, 04:33 PM
these decks have all kinds of problems. yes they are working on them but do u want to buy a mower that has to be worked on or modified and i am a exmark man all the way not bashing telling the truth we are having a all out battle with them now

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
01-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I just had the update done on my 50' Triton on Saturday. My major decision to get this done was simply to increase the blade tip speed. Oh yeah... and it was free! It was done by the local dealer (Tools For a Time) here in Jacksonville. After 10 cuts on Saturday, there is a noticeable difference! The extra blade tip speed seems to give a more "defined' cut on both wet and dry grass. No grass "clumping" on the deck either. Even though it was minimal prior to the ugrade. Bottom line, I'm cutting quicker and more efficiently. There is a slight increase in decibels. Probably from the increase in blade speed.
Be warned! If your dealer has not done this and they want to do it right... its gonna take a few hours! I think the estimated time from Exmark was 1.5 hours. I got there at 0800... first customer... and they were done by 12! Just being the oustanding dealership they are, they wanted to get it right. Plus, I was the first deck upgrade they did.
Thanks, Jay

tallimeca
01-22-2007, 08:35 PM
as proven by the previous post.

Exmark showed dealers how to do the updates at their Service Tech training classes. Paper, video, before and afters.

Keep in mind that there was been a small number of complaints about the cut on the Triton, compaired to units sold.

This update is a very simple update. Remove the deck. Cut out a "v" portion of the baffle which is causing the issues, and bolt in in new piece. Add a new baffle to in the discharge side. Change the pullies on the spindles and on some decks, the idler for the deck belt needs to be repositioned. They allow 1.5 hours to do it , but it can be done in an hour or less. One of my guys did our only one, and took about an hour.

these decks have all kinds of problems. yes they are working on them but do u want to buy a mower that has to be worked on or modified and i am a exmark man all the way not bashing telling the truth we are having a all out battle with them now

Come on now. Vehicles, equipment........everything has updates or even recalls ***the triton issue is not a recall*** Would you drather buy something that isn't right and have the company not do anything about it. If that's the case, buy anything made by MTD. They are the worst of all my vendors.

As far as the Ultra Cut deck, it was great. Exmark came out with the Triton with a couple ideas in mind. One, was to be able to have the quality of cut you expected, without having to run the blade tip speed as high as they normall do, and to reduce power drag off the motor so you had plenty of extra power if you needed it.

In most cases, they achieved this. They also wanted to have a fail safe spindle that was fully rebuildable. They achieved this also. Even if there was 1000 posts on LawnSite about problems with the Triton, that's about a tenth of actual machines in the field.

John Gamba
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
The ultracut has problems with weeds and heat streast grass. If you lower your RPM's it does really good in wet BUT you lose allot of control of the hydro's.

All exmark had to do was make the ultracut .5"' deeper and put a hydro driven motor to run the deck. Put an adjustable nob to lower or make higher the blade speed for your type grass or condition.

To try and have an everything deck is nuts.

Lazer_Z
01-22-2007, 09:29 PM
The ultracut has problems with weeds and heat streast grass. If you lower your RPM's it does really good in wet BUT you lose allot of control of the hydro's.

All exmark had to do was make the ultracut .5"' deeper and put a hydro driven motor to run the deck. Put an adjustable nob to lower or make higher the blade speed for your type grass or condition.

John, I won't disagree with you on this point but you have to admit the old tried & true TriVantage Deck was an "Everything" deck. From lush grasses to weeds of all sorts it cut anything.

Rob

tacoma200
01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Adjustable blade speed. First I've heard of the idea but I like it. Get a patent on that asap. My ultracut always did better on wet grass when you lowered the rpm's but of course you loose power also. I still haven't seen anything I would trade it for exept maybe the 7 iron II but it would have to paint it red.

Never a problem of any kind in this area with the ultracut ( except the wet stuff) on any kind of grass but each area of the country seems to have it's own grass problems.

John Gamba
01-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Adjustable blade speed. First I've heard of the idea but I like it. Get a patent on that asap. My ultracut always did better on wet grass when you lowered the rpm's but of course you loose power also. I still haven't seen anything I would trade it for exept maybe the 7 iron II but it would have to paint it red.

Never a problem of any kind in this area with the ultracut ( except the wet stuff) on any kind of grass but each area of the country seems to have it's own grass problems.

In wet try the soilid high lifts on the ultra.

John Gamba
01-23-2007, 07:18 AM
John, I won't disagree with you on this point but you have to admit the old tried & true TriVantage Deck was an "Everything" deck. From lush grasses to weeds of all sorts it cut anything.

Rob

Rob here the tryvantage did great on everything but deep grass. if you are cutting off normal hight grass you can cut very fast. if you start in the deep stuff you where going very slow. the ultracut cut fast in the deep stuff. Where i am we need DEEP with a great blades speed.

tallimeca
01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
if guys are aware, but most manufacurers offer different style blades which are usually region specific.

I encourage my guys up here in the northeast to use the notched foil high lift blades from exmark, as opposed to the solid foil.

The notched foil takes less drag off the engine and helps when cutting the think wet grass, without sacraficing performace from the solid foil blades.

John Gamba
01-23-2007, 02:08 PM
if guys are aware, but most manufacurers offer different style blades which are usually region specific.

I encourage my guys up here in the northeast to use the notched foil high lift blades from exmark, as opposed to the solid foil.

The notched foil takes less drag off the engine and helps when cutting the think wet grass, without sacraficing performace from the solid foil blades.

In wet where i am the solid lift did the wet better. The notched did the thick taller better. With the correct HP the Double Notched high lifts in thick taller grass was super.

greengiant9963
01-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Never tried a solid foil highlifts on on my exmarks. Something to think about.

rotgg
01-24-2007, 01:36 AM
as proven by the previous post.

Exmark showed dealers how to do the updates at their Service Tech training classes. Paper, video, before and afters.

Come on now. Vehicles, equipment........everything has updates or even recalls ***the triton issue is not a recall*** Would you drather buy something that isn't right and have the company not do anything about it. If that's the case, buy anything made by MTD. They are the worst of all my vendors.

As far as the Ultra Cut deck, it was great. Exmark came out with the Triton with a couple ideas in mind. One, was to be able to have the quality of cut you expected, without having to run the blade tip speed as high as they normall do, and to reduce power drag off the motor so you had plenty of extra power if you needed it.

In most cases, they achieved this. They also wanted to have a fail safe spindle that was fully rebuildable. They achieved this also. Even if there was 1000 posts on LawnSite about problems with the Triton, that's about a tenth of actual machines in the field.

i will list what we have had done to our triton's so far and that are still not right
1st was blade tip speed kit
2nd weight kit
3rd new wheel motors and yes u are going to have trouble with your 2006 wheel motors exmark changed them and is going back to the old motors in 07
4th deck way out of alignment
5th belt tension pulley must be replaced do to excessive vibration
6th no rear anti scalp wheels we had to put on a striping kit

still to come redesigned blades that are supposed to fix the mulching problem that we are still having and i think we are going to have to fab some anti scalp wheels to go on the back of deck so u tell me if i am crazy or not btw
this is not just on one mower we bought three at one time

rotgg
01-24-2007, 01:42 AM

this is exactly what i have been complaining about what are these mowers designed for commercial cutting and to have a great cut that was what exmark was known for it was a great move by exmark to do away with there best cutting mower the LZ hp 52" and go into the brush cutting and bush hogging business which is putting me out of business

rotgg
01-24-2007, 01:46 AM
just some proof i am not being funny or trying to bash exmark this pic is of the triton 50" 27hp both pics are with mulch kits instaled

rotgg
01-24-2007, 01:49 AM
this pic is of old ultra cut 52" with worn out blades

i already almost lost two accounts because of these decks i had to explain to my customers that it was a new mower with alot of problems then go back and cut there lawns with the old 52s

rotgg
01-24-2007, 02:12 AM
in exmarks defense they are working well with us to fix these problems we are doing alot of work with our dealer who has been great btw

u will not see these decks long at exmark mark my words if they dont change them fast they will no longer be the mower so many of us brag about on these sites
i dont know why didnt they just ask scag about the adjustable baffles and the "cut anything deck" that about sunk them
bottom line is u cant have everything u cant have a deck that cuts as well as the ultra cut and a bush hog in the same deck
i have never heard john gamba say anthing bad about exmark nor have i for that matter and this move has us both scratching our heads

i mean who is really going to get off the mower and adjust a baffle when u get into tall grass then adjust it back when u are done this takes longer than it does to cut a average yard its just a bad move

tacoma200
01-24-2007, 03:05 AM
in exmarks defense they are working well with us to fix these problems we are doing alot of work with our dealer who has been great btw

u will not see these decks long at exmark mark my words if they dont change them fast they will no longer be the mower so many of us brag about on these sites
i dont know why didnt they just ask scag about the adjustable baffles and the "cut anything deck" that about sunk them
bottom line is u cant have everything u cant have a deck that cuts as well as the ultra cut and a bush hog in the same deck
i have never heard john gamba say anthing bad about exmark nor have i for that matter and this move has us both scratching our heads

i mean who is really going to get off the mower and adjust a baffle when u get into tall grass then adjust it back when u are done this takes longer than it does to cut a average yard its just a bad move
John is an Exmark fan but he speaks his mind when he doesn't agree with Exmark. From what I hear the Toro deck has had good reviews and can be adjusted very quickly but I have no first hand experience. Until we hear the new Trition reviews this Spring I think Scag and John Deere have the upper hand as far as decks go. I hear the XR7 does great on Southern Grasses but it didn't do well here. Of course I don't mulch so I can't comment on the best deck for that.

John Gamba
01-24-2007, 07:22 AM

SELLL THE MOWER AND MOVE ON thats what i did.

rotgg
01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
does anyone have two 52s LHPs they want to trade

John Gamba
01-24-2007, 11:16 AM
does anyone have two 52s LHPs they want to trade

You should look into the Lazer z AS. its got the Ultracut and is 5.5" deep for better mulching.

rotgg
01-24-2007, 07:53 PM
we like the compact mowers

wowmowwow
01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
i love mine.

John Gamba
01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
we like the compact mowers

I had a Lazer Hp 52" 23 Kaw and it was great mower. Where i am we can get into some trouble like we did last season in the taller wetter grass. thats why i do favor the ultracut and asked exmark along time ago to put it on the hp. They opted to wait for the triton instead:cry: .

wowmowwow
01-24-2007, 08:40 PM
i need a hood for mine so i can luke duke it every time i walk by it lol

greengiant9963
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I had a Lazer Hp 52" 23 Kaw and it was great mower. Where i am we can get into some trouble like we did last season in the taller wetter grass. thats why i do favor the ultracut and asked exmark along time ago to put it on the hp. They opted to wait for the triton instead:cry: .

Agree with John. Have the 52 hp 23 kaw. I leaves a great cut. Very compact to get into tight spots. Sits low to the ground. Good at holding a hill. But is the worst mower I have ever cut with when there is any moisture on the lawn. Shutting the blades down and piles of clumped up wet grass falling from the bottom of the deck. For ideal mowing conditions this is a great mower.

John Gamba
01-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Agree with John. Have the 52 hp 23 kaw. I leaves a great cut. Very compact to get into tight spots. Sits low to the ground. Good at holding a hill. But is the worst mower I have ever cut with when there is any moisture on the lawn. Shutting the blades down and piles of clumped up wet grass falling from the bottom of the deck. For ideal mowing conditions this is a great mower.

In wet try solid high lifts and slow down.

Envy Lawn Service
01-25-2007, 04:51 PM

DITTO.... you can sure say that again!

John Gamba
01-25-2007, 05:25 PM
DITTO.... you can sure say that again!

In the correct conditions, its a very fast cutting machine.

Envy Lawn Service
01-25-2007, 06:10 PM

Oh... you can say that again too...

But the conditions do have to be just right.

Just right is

Dry conditions
Low to moderate growth conditions
On pure stands of good turf, such as turf type tall fescue and bluegrass or a mix of the two.

In those conditions it cuts VERY well and is VERY fast.

The only other 52" that I personally have used that can trump it in those ideal conditions is a 321D 52" Grasshopper. So that's not bad at all to come in 2nd to. I really don't think there is a 52" mid-mount that can stick to that machine in mowing production... from 7 days growth to finished cut.

All that I and greengiant are getting at is that the 52" HP's performance curve drops off SHARPLY once you get outside those conditions. And for me, only working in those conditions is not a realistic option.

John Gamba
01-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Oh... you can say that again too...

But the conditions do have to be just right.

Just right is

Dry conditions
Low to moderate growth conditions
On pure stands of good turf, such as turf type tall fescue and bluegrass or a mix of the two.

In those conditions it cuts VERY well and is VERY fast.

The only other 52" that I personally have used that can trump it in those ideal conditions is a 321D 52" Grasshopper. So that's not bad at all to come in 2nd to. I really don't think there is a 52" mid-mount that can stick to that machine in mowing production... from 7 days growth to finished cut.

All that I and greengiant are getting at is that the 52" HP's performance curve drops off SHARPLY once you get outside those conditions. And for me, only working in those conditions is not a realistic option.

The only real problems with that mower is morning due or tall Grass. other then that it beat allot of other mowers for years in my area.

greengiant9963
01-25-2007, 07:41 PM

If I had a dollar for everytime I scraped the bottom of the trivantage deck I could retire...lol. I like John's idea about putting the ultra cut on Lazer HP model. Seems like a good combo.

tacoma200
01-25-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure if your talking about the Ultracut when you say ideal conditions but it has been my experience that it is a great all around deck and only in wet conditions is it not exellent. The new no clog decks such as the XR7 did better wet as far as not clogging but the cut was not there. I have yet to use a mower that didn't have some problems when wet but I hear the 7 iron II is the best but I still don't think I would trade my Exmark over all. Jd has no good engine selection in the upper 20's or 30's so its a non starter for now. I've even seen reports of the velocity clumping in wet grass. So far all around I wouldn't trade the ultracut for any deck out there exept maybe the 7 iron II. Exmarks decks helped make them the #1 company in sales (pre-Triton) so I think some of you are selling the older decks short and giving too much credit to the new super decks that are not always so super. I just went thru several month of h#ll trying to get one of the super decks to leave a good cut and I'll stick to what I know works 90% of the time (ultracut) for now. Very consistent deck with no surprises and no stringers period. The only deck that I have used that didn't leave stringers or uneven grass under any condition. But does clump when wet. At least I can count on a good cut under most conditions in my area. Very dependable and predictable.

John Gamba
01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
r...lol. I like John's idea about putting the ultra cut on Lazer HP model. Seems like a good combo.

Exmark didn't:cry:

John Gamba
01-25-2007, 07:51 PM
what I know works 90% of the time (ultracut) for now. Very consistent deck with no surprises and no stringers period. The only deck that I have used that didn't leave stringers or uneven grass under any condition. But does clump when wet. At least I can count on a good cut under most conditions in my area. Very dependable and predictable.

Very well put:)

greengiant9963
01-25-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure if your talking about the Ultracut when you say ideal conditions but it has been my experience that it is a great all around deck and only in wet conditions is it not exellent. The new no clog decks such as the XR7 did better wet as far as not clogging but the cut was not there. I have yet to use a mower that didn't have some problems when wet but I hear the 7 iron II is the best but I still don't think I would trade my Exmark over all. Jd has no good engine selection in the upper 20's or 30's so its a non starter for now. I've even seen reports of the velocity clumping in wet grass. So far all around I wouldn't trade the ultracut for any deck out there exept maybe the 7 iron II. Exmarks decks helped make them the #1 company in sales (pre-Triton) so I think some of you are selling the older decks short and giving too much credit to the new super decks that are not always so super. I just went thru several month of h#ll trying to get one of the super decks to leave a good cut and I'll stick to what I know works 90% of the time (ultracut) for now. Very consistent deck with no surprises and no stringers period. The only deck that I have used that didn't leave stringers or uneven grass under any condition. But does clump when wet. At least I can count on a good cut under most conditions in my area. Very dependable and predictable.

tacoma..you might want to try the 777 John Deere makes. Has the liq. cooled 27 kaw. If you do get a demo make sure you have OEM highlifts. I am not at all trying to jump on the John Deere band wagon but all I can say is the 7 iron deck works for me.

greengiant9963
01-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Exmark didn't:cry:

John I think exmark needs to hire you in there design dept.:weightlifter:

John Gamba
01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
John I think exmark needs to hire you in there design dept.:weightlifter:

They didn't like that either. Thanks:)

Envy Lawn Service
01-26-2007, 12:04 AM
You should look into the Lazer z AS. its got the Ultracut and is 5.5" deep for better mulching.

Gotta agree with that.
They have sooo improved that mower this year.
My #1 pick from eXmark for sure.

25hp Kohler or 28hp Kawasaki.
52", 60" or 72" UltraCut.
(I would like to see 13x6.5-6 front tires on all models though)

http://www.exmark.com/2005photos/07as.jpg

The only real problems with that mower is morning due or tall Grass. other then that it beat allot of other mowers for years in my area.

Yup... deck clumps and clogs up in morning dew or wet grass.
It has plenty of power for cutting tall grass and throwing it far.
Just leaves the hay-field look and sometimes poor distribution in "good" tall grass.
A second pass is REQUIRED.
I expected it to re-chop the clippings better than it does.

In tall bad grass and weeds... that's where it looks it's worst.
It's a very good mower... just not capable in that arena...

But you're right John... it does beat a LOT of mower available today.
But it's not a 'top-ranked' cutter anymore...
It's far surpassed in all-around performance today.
But still ranks high "IF" it's used within it's niche.

If I had a dollar for everytime I scraped the bottom of the trivantage deck I could retire...lol. I like John's idea about putting the ultra cut on Lazer HP model. Seems like a good combo.

Me too... too much scraping... and you don't realize how much scraping sucks until you own a mower deck that stays clean.

The thing that really gets me about it is that you would think the eXmarks would pulverize the clippings since they have some of the tightest baffling and clog up so much. But I have since learned that the baffling seems to do more for the discharge force/distance than anything.

Anyways, yeah I agree with John... I think they ought to put an UltraCut on the Lazer HP.
A 60" UltraCut, 24x12-12 rear tires, and 13x6.5-6 front tires...
On this Lazer HP specifically.

http://www.exmark.com/2005photos/07hp.jpg

I think it would sell like crazy at the right price!

John Gamba
01-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Gotta agree with that.
They have sooo improved that mower this year.
My #1 pick from eXmark for sure.

25hp Kohler or 28hp Kawasaki.
52", 60" or 72" UltraCut.
(I would like to see 13x6.5-6 front tires on all models though)

http://www.exmark.com/2005photos/07as.jpg

Yup... deck clumps and clogs up in morning dew or wet grass.
It has plenty of power for cutting tall grass and throwing it far.
Just leaves the hay-field look and sometimes poor distribution in "good" tall grass.
A second pass is REQUIRED.
I expected it to re-chop the clippings better than it does.

In tall bad grass and weeds... that's where it looks it's worst.
It's a very good mower... just not capable in that arena...

But you're right John... it does beat a LOT of mower available today.
But it's not a 'top-ranked' cutter anymore...
It's far surpassed in all-around performance today.
But still ranks high "IF" it's used within it's niche.

Me too... too much scraping... and you don't realize how much scraping sucks until you own a mower deck that stays clean.

The thing that really gets me about it is that you would think the eXmarks would pulverize the clippings since they have some of the tightest baffling and clog up so much. But I have since learned that the baffling seems to do more for the discharge force/distance than anything.

Anyways, yeah I agree with John... I think they ought to put an UltraCut on the Lazer HP.
A 60" UltraCut, 24x12-12 rear tires, and 13x6.5-6 front tires...
On this Lazer HP specifically.

http://www.exmark.com/2005photos/07hp.jpg

I think it would sell like crazy at the right price!

The baffles are for the discharge and it creates allot of suction. when you lose that suction the cut can get a Little funky.

tacoma200
01-26-2007, 09:26 AM
tacoma..you might want to try the 777 John Deere makes. Has the liq. cooled 27 kaw. If you do get a demo make sure you have OEM highlifts. I am not at all trying to jump on the John Deere band wagon but all I can say is the 7 iron deck works for me.

I'll give JD a good test one day. 29+ hp is what I would be looking for. I'm a believer in the 7 Iron II decks but the rest of the mower doesn't impress me yet. JD is one of the few that doesn't offer a larger air cooled engine. I know WC is better over all but much more expensive and I like a simple air cooled. Until I have more seat time in lush conditions I'll just have to put the test drive on hold. Scag seems to have the best engine line up with plenty of high hp air or water cooled choices. I'm in no hurry, the Lazer should get me through for a while while I watch for test reports this year. I get a lot of work just because of the smoothness and evenness of the cut on the Lazer and I'll have to say I'm impressed with the cut of the 7 irons also.

cemeteryman
01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I have a Toro Z553 23hp 60" cut Turbo force with adjustable baffles, and an Ezmark Lazer Z 27hp 60" cut with Triton deck. To mow them side by side in almost any condition that I tried I would have to say the Exmark had almost the identical cut to the Toro, except when really thick the Toro seemed to leave more uncut than the Exmark. I am looking to trade the Toro for an 07 Exmark with the 31hp Vanguard with a 60" triton deck. Have any of you guys had any experience with the Vanguard engines. My dealer says nothing but good about them, but I want some other input before I take his word for it.

sjessen
01-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a Toro Z553 23hp 60" cut Turbo force with adjustable baffles, and an Ezmark Lazer Z 27hp 60" cut with Triton deck. To mow them side by side in almost any condition that I tried I would have to say the Exmark had almost the identical cut to the Toro, except when really thick the Toro seemed to leave more uncut than the Exmark. I am looking to trade the Toro for an 07 Exmark with the 31hp Vanguard with a 60" triton deck. Have any of you guys had any experience with the Vanguard engines. My dealer says nothing but good about them, but I want some other input before I take his word for it.

How much of the Toro's cutting problems do you attribute to the smaller 23 hp engine?

cemeteryman
01-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I know that part of it is the higher hp on the Exmark, but my Toro dealer can't seem to come close to competing as far as price goes to make a larger hp Toro possible. In the market I am in an Exmark runs after trade-in and discounts for being non-for-profit around $1100.00 to $1200.00 less than the lower hp Toro.