PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 737

Rick and Sandy
01-04-2007, 07:43 AM
I am looking for opinions on the John Deere 737 zero turn. How does the John Deere compare to the Scag?

jkingrph
01-04-2007, 08:42 AM
I am looking for opinions on the John Deere 737 zero turn. How does the John Deere compare to the Scag?

Looked at the JD before purchasing a Scag. Looked like a well made machine. I did look at so many I cannot remember everything, but think the JD had a unitized dual pump, and I did prefer the seperate pumps on my Wildcat. It finally boiled down to the Scag dealer was in town, JD about 30 miles away. Scag was priced a little lower but ho-hum on difference. Considering prior experience with quality of upper grade JD lawn tractor, probably would have purchased JD had we still had a local dealer.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-04-2007, 08:45 AM

I cannot compare it to a Scag, as I have not run a Scag. However, I have a 727 with the 54" 7 Iron II Deck. I love it. My only complaint with the 737 is that if you get the 54" Deck, you have very little trim side due to frame width of the machine. If you get the 60" Deck, you will be a little under powered. Personnaly, I would either get the 727 with the 54" or move up to the 757 with a 60" Deck.

I love the cut of my JD Z and I would recommend them to everybody. I have had no problems with mine in the 60 hrs I have put on it.

Willofalltrades
01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
The local lawn garden sells both. I believe I would choose the Scag over the Deere.

greengiant9963
01-06-2007, 12:39 AM
The 737 is a nice mower. There is very little trim with the 54 inch deck. To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with either mower. See if you can get a demo. Dealer support is also important.

Envy Lawn Service
01-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Personnaly, I would either get the 727 with the 54" or move up to the 757 with a 60" Deck.

This was really what I came in here to say when I saw 737.

But I also often forget the changes made to the 727.
The old one I thought was OK if you like Deere... the new one I don't like.

After reading the original post though, I can't refrain from saying that I don't really think John Deere even compares to Scag. Not in my eyes anyways, and I say that having never used a Scag.

Deere just doesn't seem to be in that class to me.
But maybe I'm being unfair... not much of a Z-trak fan.

Roger
01-06-2007, 06:50 AM
I have a JD 717A, 48" deck on the small frame. The 7 Iron II deck does a great job, better than my Exmark TriAdvantage. I have only used mine for part of a season, and only have about 250 hours running, but I am very satisfied.

When you scan posts by JD owners, rarely does anybody make a negative comment about the quality of cut of the 7 Iron II decks. I think a vote of experienced JD 7 Iron deck owners would say "excellent cut."

Obviously, there are some differences between the small framed machines (717, 727) and the midsized frames (737, 757). But, all other parts of my machine seem very sturdy and I have had zero problems.

The points made by some about trim may be a very important consideration. My 717A has no trim line at all, and I think the same may be true for the 737. I don't consider it a factor, buy obviously it IS important for some operators.

newbomb
01-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I work for a John Deere dealer and I own a Scag. The john deere commercial machine is decent however the scag is built a little heavier and in my opinion is truly commercial. I would recommend the scag hands down, but the John deere is decent if you choose it for other reasons. You will not regret buying a scag.

a&jservices
01-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I have a John Deere 777 commercial Z w/ 72" 7-Iron deck. I would not buy anything other than these machines, especially because of the deck design. There is virtually no clean up. Looking at buying a 757 this spring w/ 60" deck, because cannot get a collection system for 72" deck.

jkingrph
01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
For an interesting side. I have a JD LX 277 lawn tractor about 7 years old. I decided to clean up the deck real good, repaint ect., so I pulled it off removed pulleys then the blade spindle housings which are a heavy cast aluminum and was astonished at the corrosion. They had acutally corroded to the point where there are holes in some areas, luckily non critical so I cleaned and degreased and have applied some chromate primer and will fill areas that can hold water & dirt to stop any further corrosion. Other than that they seem to be well made, bearings sound and feel good after all this time so regular lubrication does pay off. I will replace a few parts with sealed bearings that do not sound too good and it should be good for a long time, as I am using it for backup status and just to pull a cart.

Jeff

robbo521
01-08-2007, 05:34 PM
i got the JD 717A, 48" deck.dont know about cutting grass yet because all i have done was mulch leafs.it will leave dust out of the leafs.the 48'' JD is 1132lb and the scag 48'' is 1030.

Envy Lawn Service
01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
For an interesting side. I have a JD LX 277 lawn tractor about 7 years old. I decided to clean up the deck real good, repaint ect., so I pulled it off removed pulleys then the blade spindle housings which are a heavy cast aluminum and was astonished at the corrosion. They had acutally corroded to the point where there are holes in some areas, luckily non critical so I cleaned and degreased and have applied some chromate primer and will fill areas that can hold water & dirt to stop any further corrosion. Other than that they seem to be well made, bearings sound and feel good after all this time so regular lubrication does pay off. I will replace a few parts with sealed bearings that do not sound too good and it should be good for a long time, as I am using it for backup status and just to pull a cart.

Jeff

Glad you told that story. Very interesting.

So you are saying the cast aluminum housings were corroded?
Holes in them?

If so, what would corrode cast aluminum that way? Any idea?

robbo521
01-08-2007, 08:22 PM
i have saw the corrode cast aluminum before.say after cleaning them up would a good coat of paint help it?

drmiller100
01-08-2007, 08:40 PM
love my 737. no problems. cuts great.

jkingrph
01-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Glad you told that story. Very interesting.

So you are saying the cast aluminum housings were corroded?
Holes in them?

If so, what would corrode cast aluminum that way? Any idea?

Yes, corroded, with holes in outer rim not into bearing area. No Idea as to what did it, I keep machine clean, wash frequently, clean under deck and store it in a shed, heated in winter. I cleaned everything and used some zinc chromate primer on them to hopefully stop further corrosion.