PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ford Ranger front end.

PearceLawn
01-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I need some help with a Ford Ranger Edge with the 4.0 6 cyl.

First I will tell you,I am not a truck mechanic.I have done the obligatory alternator,plugs, battery,brake pads and rotors, etc. I have been in the lawn business for ten years and can turn a wrench fine. I have to see if I can get this solved w/out going to a mechanic and paying the $1000 I was quoted for the job. Due to a parent I am caring for having a major medical problem recently,funds are very low. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

The problem:

I recently had the lower ball joints replace and had new tires put on. I have a Sno Way plow for it and I do some residentials and two SMALL( about 5 parking spots each) commercials with it. Now I find that the upper ball joint on the drivers side may be rattling a bit. I do not have the money to replace it right now. No snow has meant no pay.

Question:

Can I jack the truck up and tighten it down somehow to make it last a little bit longer?

If so, do I just tighten the to nuts on top and how far can I go without throwing off the alignment?

I have gotten some great info from this site from a great bunch of guys, I hope you can enlighten me on this and maybe I will be able to return the favor someday.

Happy New Year!!

Birdhunter1
01-04-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure on a 2001 but if it was an older one I could offer assistance, if you don't get an answer here try over at Ford Truck Enthusiasts (www.ford-trucks.com), there are several very knowledgable people over there regarding your truck.

PearceLawn
01-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I also found the Explorer/Ranger enthusiasts site. I did post a question there as well. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Potchkins
01-07-2007, 11:45 PM
www.rrorc.com
www.therangerstation.com
1. are they oem joints? if not they are greaseable.
2. jack up the front end just enuf to clear the tire 2-3 inches,
have someone else put one hand at the top of the tire and one at the bottom
pull out at bottom and push in at top, back and forth repetedly
while you watch the ball joints if the slack isn't to bad just keep an eye on them replace when possible .... but to answer your question
no they aint adjustable.

PearceLawn
01-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks Potchkins. I will get it in the garage and try that today.

Potchkins
01-13-2007, 04:35 PM
what did you find?

the most common problem with that front end
is the oem joint gets dry (no grease) and nothing you can do but
1. put up the squeak's and swaks
or 2. replace with a good aftermarket joint ie. Moog

it will go for a little while squeaking, if you can put up with it?