PDA

View Full Version : Toro Tru-Trak Sulky

lawnpro724
01-04-2007, 12:10 PM
I was just wandering if anyone has purchased Toros new Tru-Trak sulkie. My dealer said it was the best out there and would be alot easier to use than others. I have the the older style sulkies but they said the Tru-Trak is easier on your legs and more maneuverable but the cost of over $500 seems extreme when others run around $200.

Envy Lawn Service
01-05-2007, 03:01 AM
Have you seen one in the flesh?

There's a lot more to them than the $200 jobs.
To me they seem like one of the best setups.
Certainly the hot setup for a Toro.

I don't personally own one... but there are some guys here who do.

MTR
01-05-2007, 12:37 PM
do yourself a favor and go get a 2 wheels, something your feet can stand with good balance, price from $179-$230, a used one even cheaper.
Dealer is pulling your leg on comfort for leg, blah, blah, blah. Standing is standing. I have seen Toro true track, that thing is long and clumsy, imagine trying to cut tight walls or pool area, no way. and I won't spend that kind of money on it.

oldturf
01-05-2007, 03:36 PM
we really like ours, go figure!

fiveoboy01
01-05-2007, 03:45 PM
I just checked out a pic on toro's website...

Do those two platforms pivot up and down independently?

I dunno, looks like a glorified bullrider to me...

I see issues with tight spaces as well and the end swing with that setup.

Envy Lawn Service
01-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Yes, the two sides pivot independently.

Nice when in use. Nice when you want to fold it out of the way.

Anyways, with a sulky you are going to be behind the machine as always and you are going to want to set any sulky at a comfortable distance back there while in use. So while some sulkies might look less bulky or whatever, they are all going to be in relatively the same position. Manuverability is not really going to vary that much with a fixed caster sulky.

I myself can't really see for the life of me why one would want to fool with a trailering type sulky, rather it has one or two wheels. I mean I can see the "swing manuverability" issue with fixed sulkies. But overall, I can't see that overriding the other benefits of the fixed castor sulky.

homerescue
01-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Tru trac was the first sulky I ever used. Well worth the money, of course I've had mine for 3 years and at a price of 350.00. Second sulky is a single wheel sulky. The one wheel sulky, kills the back to much leaning and awkward to me. The tru trac never has hurt the back or legs, could back up a mile in a straight linr if need to, around sharp bed edges just flip up one side and go and if needed pull 2 lynch pins and both sides pull off. By the way backing up in any direction lightning fast, no wiggling around like a trailering sulky. short term way expensive, long term well worth the money, no body aches priceless. need to know more let me know, you could give me a call.

LCPullman
01-06-2007, 01:25 AM
The Tru Trak sulky is a superb sulky. I agree that it is the most comfortable sulky I've tried. I think it is unfortuante that they only fit Toro mowers. If you work in a really tight space, you just flip one or both of the platforms up in a moment. I would easily spend for one of the Tru Traks over a different sulky.

Envy Lawn Service
01-06-2007, 01:35 AM
I once tried getting a straight answer as to rather or not they would fit the eXmark walks, and if not, why not. I would think they are the same.

Never did get an answer.... Do you know?

If Toro would ever build a great floater with the Turbo Force it would be a non-issue though.

edward hedrick
01-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Try a Lesco Sulky, well made and about $300. Similiar to Bull rider. Ed

JC Landscapes
01-06-2007, 02:58 PM
turbo force decks are now on the floating deck mowers for 2007!
as far as the tru-trak it works best on the 44'' and larger wb's

Envy Lawn Service
01-06-2007, 07:04 PM
turbo force decks are now on the floating deck mowers for 2007!
as far as the tru-trak it works best on the 44'' and larger wb's

Somebody needs to tell Toro their website SUCKS then.

Thanks for the information.

I'm wondering what kind of controls they well have and if the machines will be well balanced for handling and such. I've read a lot of complaints on the handling of Toro floaters.

So I hope they hit a home run on this one.

ToroLandscaper
01-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I had a Proline with the Tru Trak suky and it was GREAT..I loved how each foot was independent and they were VERY well built..and if you ever wanted it out of your way it folded right up and was "flush" with the mower!

It would be great if you could get a turf tracer with a tru trak on it!!!

Lawnsmithcare
01-06-2007, 09:00 PM
I was just wandering if anyone has purchased Toros new Tru-Trak sulkie. My dealer said it was the best out there and would be alot easier to use than others. I have the the older style sulkies but they said the Tru-Trak is easier on your legs and more maneuverable but the cost of over $500 seems extreme when others run around $200.

I have one and personaly I wouldn't buy it but it came witht he mower. Like any other sulkie it leave divits in the yard alot and you can tell alot more when you are turning. It has a nice ride but when you get into bumpy stuff you can feel it bad. So I am switching both my walkbehinds to proslides. Also I don't l.ike the tru track because it has small tires and you have to stay really ballenced or the mower will move from side to side.

Lawnsmithcare
01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Somebody needs to tell Toro their website SUCKS then.

Thanks for the information.

I'm wondering what kind of controls they well have and if the machines will be well balanced for handling and such. I've read a lot of complaints on the handling of Toro floaters.

So I hope they hit a home run on this one.

Well when we run my toro 52" floating deck with the tru track the key word is balance and it suck because if you are not and you shift one leg or something like that the whole mower will move and the deck will sway.

Envy Lawn Service
01-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Dunno why they insist on such small tires on all sulkies.
Dumb in my opinion.

Not sure I would blame all the tracking issues on the sulky though.

But I'm thinking the proslide is a good call for smoothing straightline tracking.

LCPullman
01-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I once tried getting a straight answer as to rather or not they would fit the eXmark walks, and if not, why not. I would think they are the same.

Never did get an answer.... Do you know?

If Toro would ever build a great floater with the Turbo Force it would be a non-issue though.

Toro is releasing a new Turbo Force floating deck walk-behind this year, the Hydro will have both pistol grip and T-Bar controls.
They just posted their new LCE brochure on their website: http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/brochure/eng_07/English%20brochure_index.html

I don't really know if the Tru-Trak would fit Exmark. Logically it should. But often times things are done logically.

fiveoboy01
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Aww, those Turbo Force floaters look SWEET! AND available with a T-bar! Which I've never used, but would like to try.

Hmm, maybe I'll be looking at a different WB other than Exmark this year...

PearceLawn
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I have had a Tru track, a bull rider, and a two wheel trailering sulky and the bull rider wins hands down.JMO

moremow
01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I have gone to Toro's regular website and I am a bit confused. I went to that site where you could down load the specs for 2007 Toro's. Need a little clarification on something here if possible. As I scroll down on that info and get to the bottom it lists 2007 Toro's with Hydros available with T bar,floating deck and it lists horsepower ranges 17,19, 23hp I think I read that right. Then it listed deck sizes of 36,40,48,52,and 60. I am interested in the 48" with at least 17hp or 19hp. Does anyone know which applies to the 48"? I was really trying to get a 19hp in 48" and that is why i have been checking out the exmark tthp with 19hp. However I have heard some nice things about the T bar and that turbo force deck. When I went to their regular website it didnt seem to list anything about getting the Tbar,hydro,48" with 17hp or more. Pehaps these changes for 2007 have just come about this year. I was also curious if anyone has any info on price. comments and info would be appreciated. Thanks,,Moremow

TMlawncare
01-23-2007, 12:44 AM
We have been using a toro tru trak sulky for two years now. We have it mounted on a Exmark 60" turf tracer walk behind. The tru trak will not fit the Exmark without modification. The Exmark is much wider between the wheels then the Toro. To make it fit the Exmark you have to cut it in half and add serveral inches in the middle to make it wide enough. You also have to modify the mounts and the mounting holes. The end result is excellent. The sulky is very heavy but well made. It tracks straight and floats over uneven ground. I too wish Toro would have put larger tires on it for a even better ride.

Envy Lawn Service
01-23-2007, 01:33 AM
I have gone to Toro's regular website and I am a bit confused. I went to that site where you could down load the specs for 2007 Toro's. Need a little clarification on something here if possible. As I scroll down on that info and get to the bottom it lists 2007 Toro's with Hydros available with T bar,floating deck and it lists horsepower ranges 17,19, 23hp I think I read that right. Then it listed deck sizes of 36,40,48,52,and 60. I am interested in the 48" with at least 17hp or 19hp. Does anyone know which applies to the 48"? I was really trying to get a 19hp in 48" and that is why i have been checking out the exmark tthp with 19hp. However I have heard some nice things about the T bar and that turbo force deck. When I went to their regular website it didnt seem to list anything about getting the Tbar,hydro,48" with 17hp or more. Pehaps these changes for 2007 have just come about this year. I was also curious if anyone has any info on price. comments and info would be appreciated. Thanks,,Moremow

The 36" & 40" hydros come with the 17hp Kawasaki KAI electric start

The 48" & 52" hydros come with the 19hp Kawasaki KAI electric start

I call the KAI the 'smallblock"

Your choice of T-bar or pistol grips

The 60".....
Floating Deck Hydro ONLY
Pistol Grip ONLY
23hp Kawasaki ZTR engine with canister air filter & electric start
Larger tires
Higher ground speed

moremow
01-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I appreciate your info on the Toro's concerning the horse power and type of decks they use as well as the T bar info. I will call someone and see if i can get to demo one with that T bar on it.

edward hedrick
01-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I think the T bar is on the new style gear drive and the Toro Classic hydro

has a 15Koh. only. The classic has a 44" or 52" sfs deck. Ed

Envy Lawn Service
01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I think the T bar is on the new style gear drive and the Toro Classic hydro

has a 15Koh. only. The classic has a 44" or 52" sfs deck. Ed

That was true last year... but not anymore.

The floating deck hydro information is posted above by me.

moremow
01-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Spoke to a lady at one of the dealers in Va. I asked her about the new Toro models and she had no clue about what was coming up in 2007. The only info she read off of a sheet was a walk behind that was a 23 hp but that it was going to be a 60" deck. I read from the link that i went to concerning the new models and she said she knew that there was probably going to be some new things coming out but did not think any thing would be in production soon. I thanked her for her time. Thanks for you guys and the info we all give one another in this forum. We are better informed than most of the dealers it seems.

Envy Lawn Service
01-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Very true.... unfortunately

LCPullman
01-24-2007, 12:34 AM
I find that there seems to be very little reason to ask for information from a dealer. Even dealers with a salesmen dedicated to lawn mowing equipment don't seem to know as much as I generally do when I approach the dealer (especially with first year equipment). Really all I need to talk to them about is price and arranging for a demo.

I realize they probably don't have the time to get down all the info on every single peice of equipment they sell, and so if they seem competent, I'm willing to give them a break when they don't know as much as I do about the mower I'm considering buying.

fiveoboy01
01-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I realize they probably don't have the time to get down all the info on every single peice of equipment they sell, and so if they seem competent, I'm willing to give them a break when they don't know as much as I do about the mower I'm considering buying.

I do agree with you to a point.

But it should be the salesman's job to know what he's selling inside and out.

I find that new car salesmen really know their cars, and generally are very well informed about each model. But you are right, lawn care/landscaping equipment salesmen sometimes seem like they don't know as much as they should.

I suppose this could also be a lack of communication, with the company not keeping the dealer up to speed on changes.