PDA

View Full Version : what kind of grinder should be bought?

wowmowwow
01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
just looking at northern tool and they have the $69.00 table grinder, then they have the $150 one or so and last the "lawn mower blade sharpener" for $299. which one should be bought? and why

carcrz
01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
You can really go either way. I have a Dewalt grinder that I use regularly, but I have a blade-specific grinder that I use as well. I think it is a RGB. The table grinder is more for sharpening small things whereas the blade grinder has a platform for the blades to sit & get sharpened more evenly.

Lugnut
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Its just a matter of preference, it is easier to keep the factory angle with the grinder designed for mower blades, but it really isn't that hard to do a good job with a bench grinder either. I use a bench grinder for my mowers as well as all the rotory blades I sharpen at the golf course. Keep in mind that the bench grinder is very versatile and can be used for a wide variety of grinding applications, while the mower blade shapener will pretty much only do mower blades.

Either way make sure your blades are balanced after sharpening.

wowmowwow
01-04-2007, 08:53 PM
ok so would you change the coarse of the stone?

lawnprosteveo
01-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I have a 4" angle grinder that works pretty good. But I prefer the bench grinder at my station. Seems easier to sharpen with a bench grinder.

Let-it-mow!
01-04-2007, 11:46 PM
I'll second the angle grinder.

Much easier to work around any twists and turns on the blade with a hand held grinder.

When I sharpen them the don't look like factory edges. They're sharp, they're pretty smooth but a hand grinder won't do the pretty work a bench grinder will. But I figure after half an hour of use, the bench ground blades don't look so pretty either.

topsites
01-05-2007, 05:32 AM
If you're getting a handheld, check out Chicago Electric's 4.5" models at Harbor Freight Tools:
When they go on sale, I've bought them for as little as $10 each.

I bought several last year, thou I'm still on my first one (bought the extras just in case), still going nice and strong.

Appears to be a solid grinder, looks and feels close to any of the famous brand names, color of mine is blue.

Too bad they haven't come around with some $50 RGB's :laugh:

RICHIE K
01-05-2007, 08:03 AM
We use a 4" angle grinder

Fantasy Lawns
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/RBG1.JPG

If ya want to step up to the plate n get a dedicated BG .... get the largest HP possible this is 1HP n can sharpen blades in a minute ...the 1.5HP is even better .... dosen't have to be the RBG specific ....but the design is mostly the same between manufacturer's .... the replacement wheels run bout $70 n last bout a I'd say 1000 blades sharpens

Coarse the little grinders work fine ....kinda like a push mower works fine ...but when your doing 35 blade edges per day ....the bigger units are more productive ....n generally it's a 1 time purchase outside the wheel replacement

Willofalltrades
01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I won't even lie, Fantasy Lawns has a nice set-up.

wowmowwow
01-05-2007, 07:36 PM
thanks yallved helped alot

rodfather
01-06-2007, 10:27 AM
We run an Oregon 1.5 hp with a 12 inch wheel. Spins at 7900 rpm's so it does a real fast job.