PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Cemetery bid requirements, what do you think?

oOTurfmanoO
01-04-2007, 07:19 PM
This fell into my lap recently. I never bid on such a thing. After calling the contact phone number, the gentleman on the other line emailed me this list of requirements.

What are the green lights and what are the red. Is there anything odd about this or anything I should look to change?

Lets assume equipment is not an issue.

SIZE: Approx. 3 acres.
REQUIREMENTS: (1. Mowing of grass in the cemetery and on roadsides.
(2. Trimming around all monuments, markers, fences, walls, and roadsides.
(3. Removal of fallen leaves.
(4. Removal of any limbs/branches, etc. which fall from trees in the Cemetery.
(5. Grass should be cut to a 1 ½ to 2 inch length and shall never be allowed to exceed 4 inches in length.
(6. It is imperative that the above actions be completed 3 days prior to the following Holidays; Memorial Day, (May 30), Flag Day, (June 14), Independence Day (July 4) , and Labor Day (first Monday in September).
(7. Mowing and Trimming shall be accomplished at least 12 times a year. Service Provider shall notify the Secretary when each mowing is completed. The Association will supply pre-addressed post cards for this purpose.
TERM: The term of this agreement will normally begin on May 30 and will remain in full force and effect unless terminated by a 90 day notice of intent, prior to the Annual Memorial Day Meeting, by either party until completion of the services.
COMPENSATION: For the Services provided by the Service Provider under this Agreement the Customer will pay to the Service Provider compensation in the following manner. XXXX ($????.??) payable as follows:
(1. Mid June-XXXX (25%)
(2. Mid July-XXXX (15%)
(3. Mid August-XXXX (15%)
(4. Mid September-XXXX (15%)
(5. Mid October-XXXX (5%)
(6. Mid May-XXXX (25%)
In addition, should it be necessary, because of extremely fast grass growth, for additional Mowing and
Trimming beyond the 12 times required by this Agreement, the Service Provider will be compensated 5% (???.00) for each additional effort, provided advance approval has been given by the Customer.
Note that this payment schedule can be adjusted with mutual consent of both parties.
EXPENSES: The Service Provider will not be reimbursed for any expense incurred in connection with providing the Services hereunder. The compensation provided is done so in contemplation of any and all expenses that may be incurred by the Service Provider.
CONTRACTOR: It is expressly agreed that the Service Provider is operating as an independent contractor and not as an employee in providing the services hereunder and that the Service Provider must supply his own Liability Insurance and equipment. The Service Provider and the Customer acknowledge that this Agreement does not create a partnership or joint venture between them.

robbo521
01-04-2007, 08:02 PM
looks ok but the 12 cutting's.not sure about there but 12 cutting's is a joke. cutting it that low and not letting it over 4''.the rest looks ok to me.

Cracker Station
01-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Just my thoughts, but wouldn't a cemetary be mostly push mowed?....and also a 3 acre cemetary, seems like forever getting all weedeating done. I have no desire whatsoever to bid cemetaries. Just be careful calculating your time, and good luck with it.

NMS0219
01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
I mow alot of cemeterys for small associations ie churches, government land use boards, abandoned cemeterys, etc... The bigest problem is the 12 cuts way too few we figure at least 28 cuts here in buffalo, NY. Another thing to consider is that cemeterys are lumpy and full of ruts from digging graves its going to take you longer to mow than you think. Depending on how many and the type of grave markers you can easily spend a whole day trimming. The best machine for mowing cemeterys is a plain cub cadet shaft drive ridding mower with a 50" Deck. I know it's not commercial but trust me they work great so long as you keep up on oil changes. z turns ride way too hard and fall apart way too fast.

carcrz
01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
We're mowing at least 32 times here. It would hardly be worth it for only 12 times a year.

corey1977
01-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I just got the bid for a cemetery also 20 acers

SuperZZZ
01-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Cemetarys are alot of work make sure you bid correctly and i see YOUR MISSING 5% in getting paid adds up to 95% unless your getting some upfront.Just so your aware of your notes.Good luck:)

Uranus
01-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Cemetarys are alot of work make sure you bid correctly and i see YOUR MISSING 5% in getting paid adds up to 95% unless your getting some upfront.Just so your aware of your notes.Good luck:)

Do your math again.
Have fun mowing that. I will NEVER mow one

NMS0219
01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Cemetarys can be very, very profitable. It just seams like everyone in my area is afraid to bid on them. Thats why I get them at top price. I have One crew whose sole job is to mow, and maintain 9 of them. In the 6 years we have mowed them no one else has bid on them.

SuperZZZ
01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
OOPS!My bad just looking out for the fellow man lol.

grandview (2006)
01-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Nmso219 do you have a company name?

Sorry about the high jack you may continue about the cemetery.

robbo521
01-04-2007, 10:57 PM
been doing cemeterys for 5yrs.one year with my ztrac and it is better than my old ridder.we keep a pile of dirt out back from ours to fill the holes in.mine lets me sprat a foot from markers so very little weed eating.if you try a z turn you will cut your time way down.mine from my old 42'' rider to a z turn 48'' went from 5.5hrs to 2hrs 15min.i love doing cemetery's

NMS0219
01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Nick's Mowing Service

NMS0219
01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I run 2 cub shaft drives 50" decks, and 1 guy weed wacking. I tried z turns like i run for every other lawn we mow but we keept breaking stupid parts that should have never broke. like pinion bearning for the oscalation of the deck. The ones we mow are just to lumpy for them. I would like to regrade but the associations are just penny pinchers

qualitylawnmanagement
01-04-2007, 11:01 PM
I think Cemetery mowing is a waste of time, low ballers keep bring down the prices and at the end it is braking even alot of the times. Just like getting a city contract in my area, people keep bring down the prices.

NMS0219
01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't have the problem of low ballers No one bids on them. Because of that alot of the bigger cemeterys mow their own

kl680
01-05-2007, 06:16 AM
We haved mowed a 45 acre cemetery for 9 years and just got the contract for another 3 years. Once you get the routine down it is very easy to maintain. It's a little rough in the spring, but a very profitable contract.

corey1977
01-05-2007, 07:07 AM
i would like a to try a four wheel steer in the cemetery I bided on

NC Big Daddy
01-05-2007, 07:35 AM
I think Cemetery mowing is a waste of time, low ballers keep bring down the prices and at the end it is braking even alot of the times. Just like getting a city contract in my area, people keep bring down the prices.

Not the ones I have bid in North and South Carolina. We have contracts on 16 some private some government. Of the 16 accounts 14 are VERY large we have crews on site all week. Avg. profit for 2006 on these were 27.8%...!!! I'll take that 24/7. Yes they do have their own issues and it's hard keeping help at the fixed sites at times but 27% eases all pain.

mythntr
01-05-2007, 08:32 AM
I dont like the way they work their payments. Also 12 cuts are way too few if the cemetery is being kept up. I wouldnt touch it. Feels like some bookkeepper boy is going a little anal. Could be trouble.

corey1977
01-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I went over to the cemetery I won the bid on today grass is 6 inches high leaves and pine niddles every were branches down I hope thay have me do a spring clean up b4 mowing starts and I went to my deer dealer up the street to look at new mowers

martinfan06
01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I went over to the cemetery I won the bid on today grass is 6 inches high leaves and pine niddles every were branches down I hope thay have me do a spring clean up b4 mowing starts and I went to my deer dealer up the street to look at new mowers

Shouldnt there have been a clean-up charge? You cant expect them to come out and say hey heres some more $$$. You might be in trouble there, when you seen the condition it was in YOU should of charged a clean-up fee,sounds like it hasnt been done for a while. Hard lesson to learn.

jrs mowing
01-05-2007, 05:21 PM
the 12 cuts is not enough go for more.. imo

corey1977
01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
well martin thay had there own care takeer be for and thay tryed to cut back on services to try to save money I hope thay say well do you want to do spring clean up and make so extra money because its not in my contract only mowing from april 30-october31

Duekster
01-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I would say the type of markers plays a huge factor in how you bid it.

Stillwater
01-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Pulling a price out of thin air without looking at it, $18,000 for full contract and I would question the pay schedule. I am in Southern Ma. Before leaveing the grounds after every cut I would have 1 of the guys take the mailing card and have it signed by someone in the office, "Then" mailed.

The mowing rates in my area are so high the town has their own deadicated lawn crew. so they do not contract it out.

corey1977
01-07-2007, 11:04 AM
yea the mowing rates are like there here in maine as well I work for a city mowing cemeteries and I mow on the side and have won a bid on a cemetery