PDA

View Full Version : what to do to winterize weed trimmer?

timmac
01-04-2007, 11:49 PM
What do I need to do to service (winterize) my stihl weed trimmer's. Any help will be appreciated. thanks

carcrz
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
stabil in the mix & then fogging oil in the plug.

timmac
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
should I replace or clean the air filter?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-05-2007, 01:13 AM
should I replace or clean the air filter?

Run your unit dry of fuel then clean your air filter....Then spray some wd-40 all over the carb, throttle assembly, and ignition components.

topsites
01-05-2007, 04:28 AM
2-cycle mix oil is a preservative, so mixed fuel keeps a lot longer.
As a rule, I do drain my 2-cyclers just in case.

Every 2 years, replace the in-tank fuel filter (pita, I know).
Far as the air filter, just order a new one so you have it.
Maybe a spark plug, too (this must be kept in a dry place, perhaps inside a small plastic bag).

This is likely unique, but I found a use for used motor oil:
I fill a spray bottle (like an empty windex one) with it, then I spray my equipment with it lightly.
I don't think it hurts it, surely it helps preserve as well, and cheap.

Runner
01-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Just use Stabil. Do NOT run the motor out of fuel. This simple thing is one of the worse things you can do - especially if it is stored in colder or dryer air. This will dry out the seals inside.

JKOOPERS
01-05-2007, 03:59 PM
i dont do anything to mine at all and they always start on the first or second pull . i use opti - 2

JTF40
01-05-2007, 04:11 PM
i dont do anything to mine at all and they always start on the first or second pull . i use opti - 2

Same here - Opti2 is the BEST.:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

ed2hess
01-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I think it is a good idea to run the machine weekly across the winter. Need to make sure all the seals stay wet with oil.

Tharrell
01-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Opti 2 has a stabilizer in it. Keep fuel in them, occasionally take them outside and fire them up. That's what I do.

Daner
01-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Add Stabil...Start It up...let It run for 1 min or so...shut er down...let It cool and spray A bit of Fluid Film On It here and there.give It a wipe with a shop rag...a big kiss and say see yaa In the spring... thats what I have been doing for a very long time.

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Hang it in the barn.........

Precision
01-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Hang it in the barn.........

me too but I use mine all winter so, no different than the rest of the year.

Daner
01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
start It up every now and again...Just to let the mice know who's boss

swingset
11-12-2007, 04:24 AM
I take my trimmers to Florida for the winters. They like the beach and pretty girls. No need to subject them to the winter. That's just mean.

Richard Martin
11-12-2007, 04:58 AM
This is what I do.

I make sure that there is Stabil in the fuel or I am using a 2 stroke oil like Stihl synthetic at the end of the season. That way I don't have to try to get just the right amount of Stabil into a tiny tank when I'm ready to winterize my trimmers and other 2 stroke/4 mix equipment.

Then when I know I'm done with the equipment....

1: Change air filter and spark plug.
2: Take the covers off and blow all of the cobwebs, dust and grass out of the cooling fins.
3: I pull the plug out of the trimmer head and squirt a little grease (4 or 5 pumps) into the head.
4: Remove the muffler and decarbonize the exhaust port.
5: Inspect the recoil rope. Is it starting to get frayed?
6: Look at all of the fuel lines and see if they have any cracks in them. Replace as required.
7: You can spray the equipment with fogging oil. I haven't found that it makes any difference over the years. It's just like removing the fuel. I've tried leaving the fuel in and draining it out. No difference either way. Mine still start on the first or second pull when I'm ready to use them.