PDA

View Full Version : What To do with your old Oil

Daner
01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
What do you do with your used oil from your lawn equipment and trucks etc.??
Take It to the dump
store in a container
Or do you recycle??

LwnmwrMan22
01-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Store it in a container, then place it out with the recycle every other Friday.

QCS
01-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I have a 5 gallon container. Once it's filled, I take it to the recycle center and dump it out.

Daner
01-05-2007, 04:49 PM
We don't have a recycle program for oil here...that picks It up with the garbage...But I have heard of a company that will take your old oil and make new oil from It???:dizzy: I think that would be real slick If they can do It.

Daner
01-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I find the 5 gal containers can get real messy

Fantasy Lawns
01-05-2007, 04:55 PM
I have a pair of 55 gal drums in the back under cover which we have drained every 2 years .... they come in with like a septic sucker n do it fore free long as it's more than 100 gallons

JKOOPERS
01-05-2007, 04:57 PM
i take mine to jiffy lube or valvoline instant oil change and they take it for free. one time they took 25 gals from but they said they like it fewer quantities.

Daner
01-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I have a pair of 55 gal drums in the back under cover which we have drained every 2 years .... they come in with like a septic sucker n do it fore free long as it's more than 100 gallons

Your doing It almost like the way I do...I Use my empty Race fuel 55 gal drums...But I bring them to my friends service station, and he has the pumper suck out the oil.
The amount of oil that I go through here now Is alot.

NMS0219
01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I use it to heat my shop. I got one of those oil furnaces from northern tool. Works great and it does not cost me anything for fuel

Daner
01-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I use it to heat my shop. I got one of those oil furnaces from northern tool. Works great and it does not cost me anything for fuel
I heard that they were a fire hazard. But maybe they were the home made type.

Precision
01-05-2007, 05:40 PM
take it to the dump to the toxic waste area if I am going there anyway, or keep it in 1 gal (large mouth jugs) and drop it off at the parts store when I buy new.

By law here, they have to take it free of charge if they sell oil.

I keep the jugs for future trips. I find that 1 gal Gatorade jugs work very well.

Roger
01-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I take two containers (about 3 gal each) to Advance Auto. They have a dump tank in the back, and use the oil for an furnace. No charge for taking it, I just need to get it there.

I used to take it to a local quick change oil place, but they stopped the practice. Too many people were bringing bogus fluids. I think some containers had gasoline. They too were using the oil for a furnace. I'm sure the gas laden fluids were a hazard, so had to stop the practice. A few guys screwing up the practice for everybody.

Daner
01-05-2007, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Roger;1663455]I take two containers (about 3 gal each) to Advance Auto. They have a dump tank in the back, and use the oil for an furnace. No charge for taking it, I just need to get it there.

Thats a great Idea you got there Roger

cleancutccl
01-05-2007, 06:09 PM
i've got to 30 gallon barrels, old trimec barrels, and store it until I get a waste oil burner next year. Start saving now because I hear they go through a lot of oil.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-05-2007, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=Roger;1663455]I take two containers (about 3 gal each) to Advance Auto. They have a dump tank in the back, and use the oil for an furnace. No charge for taking it, I just need to get it there.

This is what I do also

wayne

Uranus
01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
My neighbor owns an excavation company and he has a used oil burner to heat up his building. It's nice to fill up some gallon jugs and drive across the street.

NMS0219
01-05-2007, 06:28 PM
My oil furnace uses about 9 - 11 gal of oil a day depending on what you have it set at. The furnace i got has a filter system to remove any gasoline or other crud in the oil. The filter is about $9 only need to replace it once a year

KS_Grasscutter
01-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Not gonna say this too loud, but my last oil "accidentally" got dumped in the trash dumpster. Usually what I do is fill up gallon jugs with oil, and take it to the landfill when I am going out there anyway.

Precision
01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Not gonna say this too loud, but my last oil "accidentally" got dumped in the trash dumpster. Usually what I do is fill up gallon jugs with oil, and take it to the landfill when I am going out there anyway.
I am hoping your landfill (like mine) has a recycling center for oil and other toxic wastes. If not you may as well mix it little by little into your drinking water.

LawnTamer
01-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Here, at least, every auto parts store recycles oil. It is free, easy and better for the environment. Why wouldn't you?

Precision
01-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Notice that one gallon of used motor oil has the possibility of contaminating 1 million gallons of clean water

one quart can contaminate up to just under an acre of land.

Think about it.

LwnmwrMan22
01-05-2007, 09:14 PM
i've got to 30 gallon barrels, old trimec barrels, and store it until I get a waste oil burner next year. Start saving now because I hear they go through a lot of oil.

In MN, you run the risk of getting a reprimand from the Department of Ag for using those Trimec barrels over.

I suppose if you were to pull all the labels off and wash the container (what I do with my 2.5 gallon bottles from Momentum) that they'd have to show that used to contain pesticides.

Wells
01-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I just pour it onto the ground or send it down the gutter to the nearest storm drain.......Just kidding around, I don't need a lecture about the Environment.

Like LawnTamer mentioned, around here you can take used oil to any auto parts store and they'll take it for Free.

Mic_bug
01-05-2007, 10:18 PM

ditto that...mine can use even trans oil...just about anything will go*trucewhiteflag*

DBL
01-05-2007, 10:31 PM
i take them to my mechanic for free to use in his waste oil heater

J&R Landscaping
01-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Used oil either goes to Pepboys or my dealer. Both recycle the oil to help the enviroment and such.

KS_Grasscutter
01-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I am hoping your landfill (like mine) has a recycling center for oil and other toxic wastes. If not you may as well mix it little by little into your drinking water.

Yea, they have a place there for you to put your chemicals. Not like it just gets thrown into the compost pile out there or anything lol

Dunn's
01-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Since we are on this type of subject. What does everyone do with the left over 2 cycle mix in all the machines at the end of the season or if you have a piece of equipment you dont use to often. What do you do when its been about thirty days since you used it last do you turn it on and just let the fuel burn out, or do you dump it in with some regular gas since it has lost alot of the oil mix and use it in older equipment, or do you just dump it out. Or do you do something else that we didn't think of.

KS_Grasscutter
01-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Since we are on this type of subject. What does everyone do with the left over 2 cycle mix in all the machines at the end of the season or if you have a piece of equipment you dont use to often. What do you do when its been about thirty days since you used it last do you turn it on and just let the fuel burn out, or do you dump it in with some regular gas since it has lost alot of the oil mix and use it in older equipment, or do you just dump it out. Or do you do something else that we didn't think of.

Well, I do NOTHING to my equipment before putting it away. Never had any trouble with anything at all. Probably not "right" or "correct" in any way, but it works for me.

DOLMARatOS
01-05-2007, 11:40 PM
We roll through about 150 gallons of waste oil a year and we luckily have an Excavation company around the corner who comes over with a skid steer and swaps out barrels for free.

We accept waste oil from our LCOs but it HAS to be in a semi-clear container (which we supply free in 5 gallon size as we get them for free).

This seems to work very well.

deereman
01-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Well we also farm so we use our used oil on the farm. We have a lot of equipment that has chain driven parts and that is where we use our oil.We put it on the chains and also when we store equip. for the winter we pour it on the moving parts to help keep the corrosive-ness off the parts.

DOLMARatOS
01-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Well we also farm so we use our used oil on the farm. We have a lot of equipment that has chain driven parts and that is where we use our oil.We put it on the chains and also when we store equip. for the winter we pour it on the moving parts to help keep the corrosive-ness off the parts.

Ouch. I hope DNR doesn't read your posts. Used motor oil is NASTY for everything that's alive. It's worse to dump used oil on the ground then fresh out of the quart. Heat and pressure cause build-up in carcinogens, acids and other toxic stew. Get yourself some fluid film and avoid poisoning your water-table. I don't think livestock and plants like quaker-state either. Soy products are much more "green" and still work to prevent corrosion during storage.

David C.
01-05-2007, 11:56 PM
i take mine to jiffy lube or valvoline instant oil change and they take it for free. one time they took 25 gals from but they said they like it fewer quantities.

Wal-Mart superstore auto department will take it ---- call first just to make sure

1MajorTom
01-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I take two containers (about 3 gal each) to Advance Auto. They have a dump tank in the back, and use the oil for an furnace. No charge for taking it, I just need to get it there.

That's what Matt does. He puts the oil in those 300 oz tide containers. One time he took about 30 of those containers and drove to the back door of advance auto and dropped them all off. I hope one of the employees didn't take that black tide home to their wife.:hammerhead:

Dunn's
01-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Where do you all get your waste oil burning furnaces from? Also about how much do they run.

lawnman_scott
01-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Notice that one gallon of used motor oil has the possibility of contaminating 1 million gallons of clean water

Think about it.
So what did people do in rural areas in the 40's, 50's and 60's? Recycle it, or bury it?

Beau Rivage
01-06-2007, 06:25 AM
I used to carry mine to Advanced Auto to be recycled until a guy at work asked me if he could have it instead. When I asked why he wanted it, he said he filters it and mixes it up with something or another and makes diesel or maybe bio-diesel(?) with it to run in his old Army pick-up.

What did they do with it in the early days?---poured it on the ground, I imagine..lol.

Richard Martin
01-06-2007, 07:21 AM
So what did people do in rural areas in the 40's, 50's and 60's? Recycle it, or bury it?

Everybody everywhere used to just dump it where-ever they could. I remember going with my father and his friend back in the early 70s to do oil changes. They would pull right over this one storm drain and let the oil fly. You can't really blame them for this practice since there wasn't anywhere to get rid of it back then.

I take mine to the landfill. The county will take all you have.

Roger
01-06-2007, 07:35 AM
As somebody who did grow up on a farm in the 40s and 50s, we had much heavy farm equipment generating much used crankcase oil.

We saved it and used it for burning piles of debris. Brush clearing, fence row cleaning, etc always was done and we had these piles that needed burning. Taking a few gallons and splash over the pile before lighting it would make it burn quick. Or splahing it on a dense undergrowth of poison oak would make it burn hot and fast, getting rid of the unwanted brush.

Also, we did field burning -- hundreds of acres of stubble. We took a dense burlap sack that was no longer being used for seed or grain, hooked a long heavy wire (20 ft) to the tractor on one end, other end through folds on the sack, soaked the sack in crankcase oil, lit the back end, and then started driving the tractor around the edges of the field. Small pieces of the burning sack would drop off, setting the stubble afire, encircling the entire field.

The field burning procedures have now been nearly outlawed (DEQ), causing great difficulty with new problems (weeds, voles, ....).

Precision
01-06-2007, 08:48 PM

We do not live in rural areas in the 40's. And even then, they usually had some form of re-use if not actually recycling. My guess would be that many sold it. Yes, sold it or used it themselves as a heat fuel.

Sins of the father

wonder why we have difficulties with asthma and the like now

The oil itself isn't THAT HORRIBLE. The heat by products picked up, the heavy metal and metal oxides are the really HORRIBLE parts.

What is the big deal about getting a few 1 gal, 3 gal, 5 gal jugs and bringing the used with you next time you buy new oil and drop it off there? It takes 3 minutes of extra time and no actual expense.

Precision
01-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I used to carry mine to Advanced Auto to be recycled until a guy at work asked me if he could have it instead. When I asked why he wanted it, he said he filters it and mixes it up with something or another and makes diesel or maybe bio-diesel(?) with it to run in his old Army pick-up.

What did they do with it in the early days?---poured it on the ground, I imagine..lol.

that would be used vegetable oil, not used dino oil. Maybe he does have a use but it isn't in making bio-diesel (or regular diesel for that matter) Auto oil is what is left after crude has been cracked into diesel and gas and the other good products. Essentially car oil is the left over.

jlouki01
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I pour it on my neighbors lawn.

lawnman_scott
01-06-2007, 11:24 PM
We do not live in rural areas in the 40's. And even then, they usually had some form of re-use if not actually recycling. My guess would be that many sold it. Yes, sold it or used it themselves as a heat fuel.

Sins of the father

wonder why we have difficulties with asthma and the like now

The oil itself isn't THAT HORRIBLE. The heat by products picked up, the heavy metal and metal oxides are the really HORRIBLE parts.

What is the big deal about getting a few 1 gal, 3 gal, 5 gal jugs and bringing the used with you next time you buy new oil and drop it off there? It takes 3 minutes of extra time and no actual expense.There is no big deal, but I dont think some used motor oil here and there is going to end the world, or the world would have ended a long time ago. It used to go straight into the ground, now for the most part its recycled, but we continue to try to make another thing a problem.

Good point by the problem not being the oil, ................. since it comes from the earth natrually.

As far as problems with things like athsma, I think its because they cure alot of things now that in the past killed you or made you very ill.

mikes landscaping
01-07-2007, 12:04 AM
I pour it on my neighbors lawn.

hahaha:laugh: :laugh:

mikes landscaping
01-07-2007, 12:06 AM
My dad's mechanic burns it. We just save it up then bring it to him.

Richard Martin
01-07-2007, 02:42 AM
The field burning procedures have now been nearly outlawed (DEQ), causing great difficulty with new problems (weeds, voles, ....).

They're trying to discourage that here too. A permit is required along with a firetruck. A farmer started a field burning about a month ago without the permit or firetruck and he ended up burning a house down. The county and homeowner were not happy. Since then I've only seen one other field burned and a county firetruck was there. What a waste of county taxpayer money.

02DURAMAX
01-07-2007, 03:36 AM
I just take it to a recycle center.

jajwrigh
01-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Take it to an auto center for recycling.

ozd12005
01-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I take mine to any quick oil change place and they are more than happy to take it for free

DFW Area Landscaper
01-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I take mine to Wal-mart, since that is where I buy new oil.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

topsites
01-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I did find some uses for parts of it, but most I dump it in an old 5-gallon gas container (well it's labeled 'USED OIL') and then take it to Advance when it's full or I'm going there anyway.

The other uses I've found, is I took an empty spray bottle (like windex or whatever) and fill it up with the stuff. I use this to lightly spray certain things to help protect, such as lawnmower blades (and use a rag to wipe it on thin) it keeps them from developing rust. Also works good on the moving parts of the trailer gate and the hitch, sometimes I'll spray down a piece of equipment that's about to sit for a long period of time.
Works pretty good, I pay around $10 / gallon for wd-40 so this helps, thou you still gotta have wd-40 :laugh:

mikes landscaping
01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I did find some uses for parts of it, but most I dump it in an old 5-gallon gas container (well it's labeled 'USED OIL') and then take it to Advance when it's full or I'm going there anyway.

The other uses I've found, is I took an empty spray bottle (like windex or whatever) and fill it up with the stuff. I use this to lightly spray certain things to help protect, such as lawnmower blades (and use a rag to wipe it on thin) it keeps them from developing rust. Also works good on the moving parts of the trailer gate and the hitch, sometimes I'll spray down a piece of equipment that's about to sit for a long period of time.
Works pretty good, I pay around $10 / gallon for wd-40 so this helps, thou you still gotta have wd-40 :laugh:

Thats a cool idea, never thought of that.;)

greenbronco
01-07-2007, 01:29 PM
i have heard brushing or painting on floor of a trailer will preserve the wood , anyone have experience in this or how to do it?

Mean Green Lawns
01-07-2007, 02:42 PM
I put mine in one big container about 100 gallons way out back and use it as fire starter for bon fires and stuff like that. I burn a lot of crap from projects so it's useful for me. Figure I paid for it why give it back...

Also if you live where there are dirt roads it can be used to keep dust down

Daner
01-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Used trany fluid Is great to keep near the drill press...I use a old mustard squeeze bottle.
As far as using old engine oil on machinery...I stopped doing that years ago...being on a farm...we used It on alot of chain/ gear applications like manure spreaders...But It sure makes a mess off the land and water table...we mostly Use Fluid Film now I have become a little more concerned over the environment these days
One thing I did not know was the auto parts people taking back the old oil for free...Thats a great thing there doing.

Richard Martin
01-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Also if you live where there are dirt roads it can be used to keep dust down

I would not want to get caught doing that!

steve45
01-07-2007, 09:50 PM

Think about it.

This is a bunch of BS! I work in the oil & gas industry and we separate oil from water all the time. It isn't hard to do.

As far as contaminating soil, UV solves that problem very quickly. In Texas, oil spills under 5 barrels (210 gallons) are considered insignificant and don't have to be reported.

By the way, dirt roads here are oiled before they are paved.

Precision
01-07-2007, 10:09 PM
This is a bunch of BS! I work in the oil & gas industry and we separate oil from water all the time. It isn't hard to do.

As far as contaminating soil, UV solves that problem very quickly. In Texas, oil spills under 5 barrels (210 gallons) are considered insignificant and don't have to be reported.

BS how. It isn't just the oil that is the contamination. The heavy metals, the other items, some of which are water soluable. Does your water treatment facility do this to drinking water, do your local rivers and lakes do this with all its water?

I understand that virgin oil is bio-degradable, more or less. we are not talking about virgin oil without additives or new found contaminants.

think of adding salt to water, then dumping it on the ground. when the water evaporates, where does the salt go. NO WHERE.

210 gallons is insignificant on oil company property (perhaps) and in containment fields, but not in a residential yard. 5 qts of USED oil 4 times annually times 4 houses per acre. That adds up to a lot of crap in the soil and water table, quickly.

Richard Martin
01-08-2007, 06:38 AM

And then it's capped with asphalt so the first rain that comes along doesn't wash it into ditches and culverts thereby polluting nearby rivers, lakes and streams. Let some of that paving oil actually get away from the paving company and the EPA is on them like flies on stink.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d4ba4df6f87846c885257018004cfe3a/27e4e7bc75865b62852570d900462bca!OpenDocument

steve45
01-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm not advocating the indiscriminate dumping of oil. I recycle it myself. But the claim that a single gallon of oil will contaminate 1,000,000 gallons of water is utter environmentalist wacko nonsense! Oil & water do not readily mix. They are very easy to separate. Oil is less dense than water and floats on top of it. Please explain how this contamination of a MILLION gallons can possibly occur!

The Gulf of Mexico seeps oil into the sea naturally. The Grand Canyon used to contain oil, and residual oil has been found there. Is the earth ruined because of this? NO!

Heavy metal contamination? A couple of micrograms of lead is going to destroy an acre of land? GET SERIOUS!

Some people just just look for things to worry about...

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Walmart takes it for free...............those evil people.....

Mean Green Lawns
01-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Local cities here oil the dirt roads themselves at least once a week in some areas. The county has trucks that oil the dirt roads that city taxes don't cover... I don't know where you live but it is common practice in Metro Detroit.

LwnmwrMan22
01-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Local cities here oil the dirt roads themselves at least once a week in some areas. The county has trucks that oil the dirt roads that city taxes don't cover... I don't know where you live but it is common practice in Metro Detroit.

Most likely it's not oil, especially used oil.

If I remember right, it's a Potassium mix.

Mean Green Lawns
01-08-2007, 11:03 AM
It is trust me.. Friends work for the county it is a mix but with lots and lots of oil.. you can smell it a mile away

Grassmechanic
01-08-2007, 11:40 AM
It is trust me.. Friends work for the county it is a mix but with lots and lots of oil.. you can smell it a mile away

That is definately against the law in Michigan. Big time fines, and rightly so. What a bunch of jerks, I'd turn them in if I saw it!

Mean Green Lawns
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe it is illegal but Its being done every year.. Go out to davisburg, rose twp, holly, howell .. the roads get slicked up every year... My buddies told me the county sprays for dust with a used fuel oil mix and some other oil products. Something that breaks down components or some crap. All I know is that when I used it for dust it worked great.. I dont advise it but it works..