PDA

View Full Version : Hustler owners ...

Prestige-Lawncare
01-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Hustler owners ...

How does your Hustler cut?

What type of grass are you mainly mowing?

What deck are you using?

Seeing as how there's not a lot of active growing grass in Indiana to demo mowers on ... I need input from those who use this mower.

Looking at a Super Z and a Trimstar 48

Daner
01-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I have the trimstar 36...love the steering.

nmez21
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Hustler Super Z 25kaw/60 XR-7
How does it cut? For me it does a very good job on kentucky bluegrass and just about any fescue that it has seen. Wet or dry you rarely have to double cut, even when growth is fairly rapid. Where you might run into a little bit of trouble is when you're mowing crabgrass though. In this case you'll probably have to double cut if it's the least bit thick, and the XR-7 deck doesn't seem to stand crabgrass up very well, so it leaves crabgrass looking shaggier than you'd expect. Other than the run-in's with crabgrass, I've been very happy with the deck and its quality of cut. One more thing to mention- even at top speed, it delivers a very fine cut, but like I said-you'll still have the occasional double-cuts, but the extra speed is great for those as well. JMHO

FIRESCOOBY
01-05-2007, 06:13 PM
2005 MINI-Z 52"/ 19 HP KAW

I cut mainly Bermuda sod, Fescue, Zoysia. It gives a great cut, but Bermuda really puts a whoopin on the little 19hp. Hope to upgrade to a larger motored unit within the next 12-16 months.

coolluv
01-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I have a super Z 44" 23hp 2006. I cut mostly Bermuda and I have 1 Zoysia lawn which is really thick. I run the mulch kit with the fusion mulch blades and it does OK but it does leave some stringers and if the grass is a little wet or if it is thick I have to double cut. I doesn't matter if I go slow or fast I get the same results.

I'm happy overall but this is the only commercial mower that I have any experience with. I just bought a 37" 16hp hustler hydro 2005. Its new but was a leftover model, and I got it with the mulch kit also installed. I have not been able to try it out as of yet. I hope that the cut quality is as good or better than my Z.

I demoed the 36" trimstar and the 37" hydro and they both seem like good machines.( I Just fooled around in the parking lot for about 30mins.):laugh: I purchased the hydro 37" because it seemed to be alot more solidly built and the response from the controls seemed to be smoother than the trimstar. I also lined them up side by side and the 37" was just a little longer,( maybe 8 or 10 inches) which I would think would be better on hilly terrain.

Not to mention I got one he** of a deal. I would definitely recommend them. I think they are trying to grab more market share with the more economically priced trimstar, but if you want a tank of a machine I would get the hustler hydro. Not an expert, nor do I claim to be, just my opinion.:laugh:

Hopes this helps.

Dave.

puppypaws
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Hustler owners ...

What deck are you using?

Seeing as how there's not a lot of active growing grass in Indiana to demo mowers on ... I need input from those who use this mower.

.It does not matter what you read here the only way to know how it does in your area is to demo, demo, and demo some more in different conditions. I have the 66" XR-7 with the 28 efi Kohler and it does a great job for me but I only cut my personal property. I put 166 hrs. on it this year and I bought it new in the spring, I love everything about the mower and this is the 4th Super Z I have owned in the last 5 years. What I like the most is the speed, you will here people say you cannot cut grass at 15 mph but I run wide open everywhere except in a few places it is just to rough. I cut fescue, crabgrass and about any other junk grass and weeds you can think of at about 2 3/4" which is lower than most people cut but it does a better job the lower you cut. I am not trying to make the 15 acres I cut look like a 1/4 acre manicured lawn I am out there to make it look as good as need be as fast as I can. You here people talk about double cutting, you can take the mower I have and double cut faster than most people can single cut. The machine is so fast I can mow in one direction and run back and cut the same way so I move the grass completely off the area I am mowing and not feel like you have wasted much time because you are always flying everywhere you go.

Prestige-Lawncare
01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks to those who have responded so far. Points are well taken, as usual. I wish I could demo all mowers on lawns that are actively growing ... but in Jan. and Feb. in Indiana ... that's just no happening (even though our temps have been in the 50's most of the winter so far)

Another others?

johnnybravo8802
04-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Puppypaws, why have you owned 4 Super Z's in 5 yrs on your personal lawn? Just curious.:confused:

JB1
04-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Hustler owners ...

What deck are you using?

In the southern part of the state all fescue, super Z's , have been very happy with them. What kind of prices are they quoting you.

SPENCER HUNTER
04-26-2008, 12:25 AM
WELL,, I GUESS U WOULD SAY I'M NEW TO THE HUSTLER FAMILY I OWN A 2007 MINI-Z 42 INCH CUT W/19 HP KAW & A 2006 MINI=Z 52 INCH CUT WITH A 19 HP KAW,USED OF COURSE W/300 PLUS HR'S, LIVING IN THE SOUTH WE HAVE A LOT OF SOUTHERN TYPE GRASSES,,BERMUDA ,ST.AUGUSTINE,,, FESCUE,,, AND A FEW OTHER'S THESE ARE THE ONES I DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS,, THEY DO A EXCELLENT JOB ON THESE TYPE GRASSES,,WITH NO PROBLEMS I HAVE BEEN IN THE BUSINESS FOR 7 YR'S,,,AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED HUSTLER IS THE BEST ONE OUT THERE,, EASY ON MAINTENCE,,, I CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 50HR'S,,SHARPEN BLADES AS NEEDED,, CHECK AIR PRESSURE ON TIRES,,CLEAN DECK AND MACHINE,,DAILY,, CHECK OIL LEVEL EVERY 8 HR'S AN AIR FILTER, THAT IS ABOUT IT !!! THAT IS MY 02 CENTS WORTH,,,,,:waving:

Shady Brook
04-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I have had a Super Z old deck, Super mini old deck, and Super Z with XR7. I thought the Old Super Z was the best cutter of them all. The XR7 cuts pretty well at short cutting height on cool season grass, but lacks vacuum, so on higher cutting height, the quality suffers. I love the Mower except for the cut quality. I just picked up a Wildcat and so far... the cut is superior in quality, and in it's dispersion of grass. So far it is a night and day difference.

I don't know how anyone can get away with a single cut in Spring growth with the XR7. My guys can run over it 10 times and the stuff is still not acceptable. The Wildcat appears to be in another league in this department.

Good luck

puppypaws
04-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Puppypaws, why have you owned 4 Super Z's in 5 yrs on your personal lawn? Just curious.:confused:

Yes, if they come out with something new I want to try, I buy a new one. The mower I'm running now has not been improved upon. I doubt seriously I could live long enough to get another engine of any kind that would be as perfect as the 28 efi Kohler I'm running now.

I jumped on it at 6:30 pm yesterday afternoon, it started the second I engaged the switch key, I automatically had the steering going at the second it cranked. I was immediately cutting grass at top speed and if you saw how much I mowed by 8:00 pm you would find it hard to believe.

No matter what anyone says, I have very much experience cutting at top speed with a Hustler Super Z, at lower cutting heights it does an excellent job for me. I am not cutting plush weed free grass at 3 1/2" so that is a lot of the difference, but at the lower cutting height it will cut the fool out of anything as fast as it will run.

This mower with the flex forks and flex seat makes all the difference in the world whether you can mow at that high rate of speed and do a good job. You get on other mowers and it would beat your brains out. I realize Ferris gives and excellent ride up to 12 mph but there is a lot of change in 3 more mph. Believe me 15 mph on a mower is faster than most people can comprehend. My 55 year old sister drove up while I was cutting the other day and when I stopped to talk with her she said, "you need to slow down, it looks dangerous mowing that fast". I told her "I might do a lot of things but slow down mowing would not be one of them". There is to much enjoyment and productivity for me to ever own a slower machine.

tacoma200
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Because he can.:)

tacoma200
04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I have had a Super Z old deck, Super mini old deck, and Super Z with XR7. I thought the Old Super Z was the best cutter of them all. The XR7 cuts pretty well at short cutting height on cool season grass, but lacks vacuum, so on higher cutting height, the quality suffers. I love the Mower except for the cut quality. I just picked up a Wildcat and so far... the cut is superior in quality, and in it's dispersion of grass. So far it is a night and day difference.

I don't know how anyone can get away with a single cut in Spring growth with the XR7. My guys can run over it 10 times and the stuff is still not acceptable. The Wildcat appears to be in another league in this department.

Good luck

How is the Wildcat treating you? If I remember correctly you bought it without a demo. I hope it is doing well for you my friend.