PDA

View Full Version : Any1 familiar with Cats#226 Skid Steer Loaders

Comet
06-30-2001, 10:12 PM
hello
Does anyone own and operate a 226 Skid Steer loader CAT?
I seen here by H.O. Penn Machinery Co. will lease them for 296.00/mth for 48 mths, then with a buy out of 8,000.00 at the end of the lease.
Any opinions on this equpment and or even the pricing?
The rental for 1 day on a skid steer loader bob cat 753 or 853 is 250.00/day
The Cat comes with bucket and fork lift attachment
Optional attachments are: Broom Sweapers,Augers, trenches, Grading rakes.
There is no backhoe attachment for this nor have I seen a demo hammer that Im aware of
thanks..
thom

Comet
07-04-2001, 01:18 PM
I guess not!!
hmmm

Mowingman
07-04-2001, 03:28 PM
Thom,
I am not sure what the lifting capacity of that machine is, but the price sounds about right for a smaller size skidsteer. I do not think it is large enough to lift a full pallet of sod if you do landscape work. I used to be an equipment buyer for a large co. with mining operations. I bought a lot of Cat equipment and it always met or exceeded our expectations. With Cat, you can always count on very good parts and service support.:cool:

Stonehenge
07-04-2001, 03:41 PM
We only have a single place by us that even rents Cat, so I'm not familiar at all. Because I don't know it's specs, it's hard to comment. Are you asking if that lease/buy is a good deal? Total outlay for you, over time, is $22k. If this is a small machine, that may not be a very good price.

Rentals are a lot more expensive per day, and yeah, you can save a lot on per day costs buying over renting. Just remember the rental has to pay for use on the machine, rent on the rental building, salaries of the sales and tech people, the ad in the yellow pages, etc, etc. And because it's a rental, it's going to get the snot kicked out of it a lot more often than one that is purchased, which means higher repair costs.

You can also save a lot renting by the week or more by the month.

As for attachments, if it's got the universal attachment system and the same hydros hookups as most of the other mfgs, then you can on all kinds of non-Cat attachments.

Comet
07-04-2001, 04:27 PM
thanks,
Im intrested in performance
I hope I do this right with the link,
The manuel I have has a nice work up perfrmance on it but thought Id get some feed back on it here.
The lifting rating is rated
Operating Capacity 1500 lbs
Operating Weight 5645 lbs
Flywheel Power 54 hp
thanks

226 Skid Steer Loader (http://hopenn.cat.com/dsf/content/item/component/1,1572,7_1__D3688_7,00.html)

Comet
07-07-2001, 10:42 PM
hope this tag works
Im seeking any opinions on the 226 skid steer loader
Seems to be equvilant to the Bob Cat 763 so far with lifting capacity and hp

Cat Equipment (http://www.cat.com/index.html)

Stonehenge
07-08-2001, 10:44 PM
Thom,

It's going to be difficult to give an opinion based on promotional info. 2 machines might be designed to handle the same loads, but one breaks after a month, and the other runs forever. So I don't think the specs will help with the real information you're looking for.

Try to demo one and see what you think.

Comet
07-11-2001, 01:31 AM
yea the lifting capacity is only 1500 :(,,,,

Comet
07-15-2001, 09:51 AM
:( No 226 Cats out there??:confused:

roonie
07-25-2001, 08:11 PM
I have leased a 246 Cat skidsteer and I love it. I have a bucket and a power rake (Rock Hound). My payments are $650/month for 5 years with a $8,000 buyout. Sounds like a good deal for the 226 you are looking at. My machine was around $35,000 new. Hope this helps.

Comet
07-25-2001, 10:32 PM
thanks for the reply on your 246

Yes it helped your info, I see your machine is 3 up from the 226

Theres the 216, 226, 228, 236, 246 and 248 models

Im still debating on the monthly investment even though its an Ideal price.
Work seemed to have stopped coming in just after I finally found 2 relaiable good workers that work and show up.
I heard a lot of good things with the hand controls
Ill see how the next few weeks go

Thanks again

roonie
07-26-2001, 07:47 AM
Yes, the hand controls are great! So much smoother to run than a Bobcat. You have an accelerator pedal on the floor so you have complete control of throttle unlike the Bobcat where you have a hand lever that you have to set at full throttle to get all your power. And then it gets very jerky. Caterpillar also sells an ASV model which has the rubber tracks but they want about $50,000 for that one. Very nice machine but I don't know who could afford that in our business.

diggerman
07-27-2001, 01:33 PM
I guess 50,000 seems like alot but if you use in every day and charge for the hours its not alot.My loaded Case was 50 and it has been worth evedy penny. As for a backhoe for the Cat Machine alot of companys make after market backhoes for any skid loaders.Companies such as a Bradco Woods and even a Deere with extendable stick ought to fit. As for the 226 specificly I know very little, the people I have talked to who have Cat skidloader really like them. The reason I have a Case is the most of the options I have were not and still not available on Cat machines and I grew up on Case machines and was not willing to make the control switch. Cat s reputatipon in reguards to parts and repair is better than any of the other dealers which is another point in there favor.

Comet
09-02-2001, 10:50 AM
:)
Thanks for everyones input on this thread,,,

I (as of last week) 8/25/01 went through with that cat lease before it was to end....

I been utilizing it so far on my property (getting use to the switch over) and the hand controls are way better then the foot controls as in other models. I still need just a little more time etc....
but my worries/concerns over the hand controls are now over:)

Its not the best machine out on the market but was the only one my budget was able to afford
[no money down $297/mth 48mths intrest free with a buy out]

thanks again
thom

ps. my pc is finally cleaned up, I lost a lot of valuable information, infact my entire company folder, Im starting all over from A-Z

georgel
10-25-2001, 03:14 AM
How is the Cat working out Thom?

Comet
10-25-2001, 09:01 AM
George
The Cat is working out fine. I like it a lot.

I purchaced a used 5 ton trailer yesterday for it.

Thom

m&m
10-30-2001, 06:05 PM
thom,
do u really like the hand controls over the foot/hand controls?
i rented one one day when ours wasnt available and it was ok but i guess im so used to running the old style. oh well good luck on the new adventure

m&m

General Grounds
11-05-2001, 09:47 PM
:blob3: Thom, well how do you like it? once you get used to the controls you'll never go back. I bought a 226 in march with the cab and heat, really nice now that it's getting cooler. my dealer installed a 300lb weight kit on my Cat and i easily lift a pallet of fert as before i would have to take 10 bags off. my dealer hooked me up pretty good, with all the options. weight kit is a must. T Good luck

General Grounds
11-05-2001, 09:48 PM
:blob3: oh yeah, all bobcat attachment fit this unit also, borrowed my buddies backhoe yesterday.

if you do alot of planting go for the tree auger, great attachment.

Comet
11-05-2001, 10:24 PM
they replaced the one I purchaced on display with another one that has the cab like your saying,,, wow I sat in it last week,, sure looked ideal for the cold weather and pretty comfty

I did notice you loose some sight in front of the machine just outside the cab,, I guess one gets use to that though too

m&m
yes I like the controls, took me a week or so to get use to it, maybe longer, I find less jerking movements all due to the fact that you dont have to keep the throttle at a constant speed,, they have the rightfoot for the throddle ,,well you seen it! you know,,
Theres nothing wrong with a bob-cat what so ever nor any other type skid steer loader ,, Its just the improvements with technology or how ever you say it,
if it wasnt for the deal they offered I might have gotten the bob-cat
I heard other machines next year will all lean toward the hand controls,,I hear drips and drabs now and then.

Any does or donts on pushing snow with the 226?

I received from bobcat their polite letter congradulating me on my cat purchace, they included their broshure on all their attachments
like you indicated.. I think its a wonderful thing that there all universsal, That be horrible if it wasnt

General Grounds
11-05-2001, 10:45 PM
:blob3: Thom i use the bucket for snow, have'nt used my Cat for snow yet though. I park my Cat at a customers house and when it snows i set a guy up and he does 25 driveways in a development, while were plowin, i quess if i used it comm. i would get the plow blade. T

penn955
11-07-2001, 08:46 PM
I owned a 228 Cat high flow which is basically the same thing other than the hydrolics. The thing is great. My brother just purchased a 248 which is a beast. The hand controls are so precise you could perform surgery with the thing. Cat has 0% interest on a lot of there equipment and there service is incredible around here(Newington CT. H.O. Penn). The pedal is also nice to have when you need a little extra. Anti stall is another goodie it has.

alldredge_2008
03-15-2004, 09:34 PM
We have a Cat 226 2002 model. It does what we need it to do and then some. Anywere form digging post wholes and hauling manure. The heated cab is nice.

General Grounds
03-16-2004, 12:17 AM
:blob3: comet i own a CAT 226 for 3 years now and i have nothing to say but good things, i absloutely love it. i thought in the beginning with the hand controls id have a problem esp. running bobcats for year s but the transition was a breeze. yes the machine is "rated" for 1500 lbs but i can lft 2000 easily, i also have a 300 lb counterweight kit on mine installed by my dealer when i bought the machine. there is also a backhoe and a demo hammer. i own a tree auger, forks, light mat. bucket, which is awesome with mulch and snow. i have 500 hours on the machine and we maintain it relgiously, and it has been trouble free since the purchase. 4 other friends have purchased the machine and they love it as well. hope this helps, tony

SLC1234
03-22-2004, 09:25 AM
We have a 2001 Cat 226 that we bought new. We love the machine it is great, and the awsome thing about it is that you can put anyone in it and they can pretty much get the hang of it pretty quick because of the joysticks. We have a 8' snowpusher and a 8' snow plow for it and the thing works great. Really like it and would not be sorry getting another one. Just my two cents

www.schmidtlawncare.com

Tigerotor77W
03-28-2004, 07:14 PM
For those of you who do own Cats SSLs -- how is the power of the engine? I was watching a 236 work and it sounded like its engine was going to die every other bucket.

alldredge_2008
04-22-2004, 09:32 PM
I have a 226 cat for at the farm and construction. It has been a great machine for us with 736 hours. We use it with a 66'' bucket but have a 78'' bucket for shavings (sawdust). It has tracks and foam filled tire so you dont get flat tires. You might want to concider those. Our total cost was around 28,000.00.
Good Luck!

General Grounds
04-22-2004, 11:49 PM
:blob3: cat has an anti-stall, so it may sound like its gonna die but will not, unlike those other machines.

Tigerotor77W
04-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Thanks, general grounds. Sounds good.

Scag48
04-25-2004, 12:14 AM
I've never stalled our 216, although it does sound like it's going to puke with the anti-stall setup. Not good to almost get them to stall, slows you down and isn't good for the engine, I guess we all make mistakes. I love our 216. We've been having hydraulic fitting problems though, but our dealer is being really good about getting us going. We're not really sure why one fitting is leaking a ton of fluid from the aux. hydraulic coupler (we went through 3 gallons of fluid in one hour, it was leaking that much!). A mechanic is going to look into it in depth a little more. Dealer is giving us a rental machine to use for 3 weeks for free while ours is going to get the extremely strange fitting problem fixed once and for all. Great machine though, I love it. Hand controls are so smooth, can get the bucket within inches of a building and miss hitting it. Bobcats are way to jerky, gotta have that throttle handle pinned down to get the most power, but if at some time when you're operating the machine and want to slow the engine speed down to get more torque from the tires, you gotta take your hand off the control lever and pull down that throttle lever, then adjust it again. Cat has the pedal on the floor. Need power instantly? Put it down, then back it off when you don't need it. Saves alot of fuel this way when you can instantly control your engine speed.

Tigerotor77W
04-26-2004, 11:21 PM
AHA! The Bobcat adapts again! :-)

With Bobcat's new selectable joystick controls, well, a lot of stuff. They're not as jerky. I'm a witness to that. Second. Foot throttle available. Yuppers. Pedal on the floor. Third. "Crawl" (snail) mode. Top speed 4.0 mph; max hydraulic power even at lower speeds.

Not trying to be offensive -- this is probably in the wrong thread anyhow.

BTW -- good luck on that fitting problem. I hope it gets resolved.