PDA

View Full Version : Hydro or belt driven walkbehind?

DixieChopper88
01-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Today i went to a local scag dealer and looked at the wbs; they had a 52" and a 48". The 52 was a hydro-drive and the 48 was belt driven. There was around a 1600 dollar difference in the prices. The guy said it would be better to get the hydro because it works great in wet conditions, but i don't if he is trying to get more money out of me or if that is true. Looking for input from you guys on which one would be better. THank you, josh

Fantasy Lawns
01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
This is a no brainer ==> Hydro ....not only the better tracking in wet conditions .... not adjusting the brakes n replacing the pads 2x year ....not having to shift into reverse or higher gears .... it'll be the best $1600 extra you ever ...n that's ever paid

Duekster
01-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Hydro's are better on wet grass for several reasons. Belt drive machines spin their wheels when first engaged, with a hydro you can slowly accelerate just like you would with your car on a wet road.

wowmowwow
01-05-2007, 06:56 PM
i wont allow my wheels to spin and they are belt...even in mud playing around...however the snow is different. while joy riding in the cul de sac geting nasty on the velkie like a snow board, the belts got wet. so no go. with my 130 lbs behind it it wouldnt pull.

captken
01-05-2007, 07:36 PM
there are over 1000 posts like this one.

search!

metro36
01-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Hydro's work better in the rain, are safer on hills, and are more productive. So I would go hydro.

larryslawn
01-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I have a 36" scag wb and love it. If it is to wet for the belts to grip you should not be mowing anyway. Plus their are no hoses to bust or catch on things. But i will say that backing up is a pain but not that bad once you get the hang of it.

Tadams
01-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Never used scags beforebut I would want a hydro piece of crap over anything belt driven. If you have any places that you y=think you might want to back out of- a corner or a tight turn- you will love the hydro. A hydro will do better when it is wet but yhat is not why you buy one. You but a hydro because it is easier on you and the turf. Instant reverse, more control, better resale, hydros last longer than belts & trannys. You WILL NOT go wrong with the hydro. You WILL hate yourself if you get the belt. That is if you can swing the extra money.

Jpocket
01-05-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a 36" scag wb and love it. If it is to wet for the belts to grip you should not be mowing anyway. Plus their are no hoses to bust or catch on things. But i will say that backing up is a pain but not that bad once you get the hang of it.

So your saying that he shouldn't mow if there is Dew on the lawn like there is just aboout every morning in the summer. Last time I check a heavy dew was just enought to make a belt drive start slipping. If you can stop everytime the grass is alittle wet, you don't have enough lawns.

ed2hess
01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I would not have a lot of concern about Scag belt drive we have two and they have done just fine. I also have Scag Hydro and understand the value of the hydro. If you are going into the big wide units then I assume you will be going in straight lines so concerns about increased productivity with hydro would not be a factor. We mowed a lot of grass in the rain so that wasnt' a problem.

Tagg
01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
:usflag: Two things here. 1) I believe that Scag Only has Pistol Grips available on the walkbehinds which is really a pita to operate compared to other types. 2) We run the Scag Turf Tiger and LOVE it, so we are partial to Scag. But I would absolutely go with the hydro in any brand compared to a belt drive. We use a Snapper Hydro Pro 52, Great unit. :dancing:

J&R Landscaping
01-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I have an Exmark belt drive wb and a Bobcat hydro wb. I like the Bobcat better. The instant reverse is nice but I also find it to be a lot easier on my hands. It has a smoother ride. Plus turning is easier and it pulls me around on my velke better then my gear drive does.

When my gear drive goes in a year or two, It will be getting replaced with a hydro. I won't go back to gear drive!

Grits
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Today i went to a local scag dealer and looked at the wbs; they had a 52" and a 48". The 52 was a hydro-drive and the 48 was belt driven. There was around a 1600 dollar difference in the prices. The guy said it would be better to get the hydro because it works great in wet conditions, but i don't if he is trying to get more money out of me or if that is true. Looking for input from you guys on which one would be better. THank you, josh

I have a 48 belt drive. You aren't going anywhere if it is raining...especially if you are trying to pull a sulky. You can take the sulky off, put the mower in gear and push it. That works a little. I haven't read any of the other replies yet but I am sure they all say about the same thing. $1600 is a SMALL price to pay for the benefits of the hydro. If I knew then what I know now.........well, next mower I get, if bigger than 36, will be a hydro.

mow & snow
01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I would buy the 52" hydro wb. I would only buy a belt drive if it was for gated yards. I have a 52" Ferris hydro wb with a 23hp Kaw plus a 2 wheel velkey. This mower kicks a$$. I also use a 36" Ferris belt wb for my gated yards.

Sir mowsalot
01-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I would not have a lot of concern about Scag belt drive we have two and they have done just fine. I also have Scag Hydro and understand the value of the hydro. If you are going into the big wide units then I assume you will be going in straight lines so concerns about increased productivity with hydro would not be a factor. We mowed a lot of grass in the rain so that wasnt' a problem.

Good post. I too had a scag 48" wb belt drive, and i never had a problem with slippage when wet. The only problem was that sometimes i might have to get off of the velke and walk, but its not like a belt drive wont work when its wet. If you have the money to buy a hydro then do it, but if not, then a belt drive is not the end of the world.

crzymow
01-06-2007, 09:07 AM
spend the extra money and go witha hydro. I've used both, no comparison.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
01-06-2007, 10:50 AM
:D I agree if you have the cash by the hydro You cant go wrong. If your buying to start another crew by the belt. IMO.:waving:

dhardin53
01-06-2007, 11:21 AM
I have a Bunton hydro and love it. The difference is like a automatic transmissiion and manual shift transmission in your car, no compairison.

If your going to mow every day and some days all day you need to have the best equipment you can affort. Devide out the extra $1600 over 3 or 4 years and every yard you mow it will be pennies per yard extra. You can thank use later...

DixieChopper88
01-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys for all the input, i was leaning towards the hydro because of ease in wet conditions and to pull a velky. Money isn't a problem just wondered if they were'nt that much different. Seems though that there is a big difference between the two. Thank you again, josh

DixieChopper88
01-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys for all the input, i was leaning towards the hydro because of ease in wet conditions and the reverse factor. Money isn't a problem just wondered if they were'nt that much different. Seems though that there is a big difference between the two. Thank you again, josh

fiveoboy01
01-06-2007, 05:49 PM
One guy mentioned productivity.

You'll be a lot more productive with a hydro vs. the belt drive. This alone will eventually recoup the extra cost involved.