PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons about baggers for me

wowmowwow
01-05-2007, 06:49 PM
what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a new/used big ol bagger on my zero turn?

NMS0219
01-05-2007, 08:08 PM
They block your view behind you, they are clumsy. I would rather have a grass catcher on the walkbehind

wowmowwow
01-05-2007, 08:24 PM
i dont tell my customers i even have the grass catcher. i use it at home...my grass area is half of a half acre. it has to be dumped at least 6-8 times and thats just to trim it. i searched around this site and i dont think i want a bagger. i have no where to put the clippings...what do you do if you take the clippings home? raise nightcrallers in the debrise?

NMS0219
01-05-2007, 08:35 PM
I can't agree more. The only time my guys use the bagers is in the fall to pick up leaves. And thats only after they mow it with out. I end up with enough junk at the shop i don't need the clippings too

greengiant9963
01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I have 3 bagging units. It is night and day compared to a side catcher. Saves alot of time weather you are bagging grass or leaves. I will admitt they are not cheap. Most start new at 2 grand plus.

Uranus
01-05-2007, 10:21 PM
I own 2 zrts with bagger. Not cheap but saves a ton of time over those tiny little catchers on the side of your walk behinds. I have the accelarator xl for my 36 wb and oh my god how slow can we go. From 3 weeks after the second round of fert till mid october I can cut just as fast as anyone who is muclhing or throwing. Also I'm willing to say my lawns are alot cleaner that guys not bagging. I bag 95% of the time. In the past I've been assigned to or in charge of 7 different zrts and only 1 did not have a bagger on it.

daveintoledo
01-05-2007, 10:57 PM
not really needed, except for fall cleanup, some people you just cant explain things to, i bag one lawn every other week, and i charge double for bagging, and the disposal is there problem...

the bagger for my tank is awsome, really holds alot of grass....

wowmowwow
01-05-2007, 11:12 PM
yah thats another Q i had....how easy/hard is it to take it on and off?

greengiant9963
01-05-2007, 11:38 PM
yah thats another Q i had....how easy/hard is it to take it on and off?

Some are easier than others. The more you take it on and off the better you will get. I can take off the Ulta Vacs for the exmarks in about 45 sec. takes about a minute to put back on. If you do go with a spindle driven vac make sure you have the horsepower to run it. Alot of guys seem to like the vacs with a seperate engines. Like peco or trac vac.

Stillwater
01-07-2007, 06:48 AM
not really needed, except for fall cleanup, some people you just cant explain things to, i bag one lawn every other week, and i charge double for bagging, and the disposal is there problem...

the bagger for my tank is awsome, really holds alot of grass....
Wow U Lucky Mow Guy!

I wish I did not have to bag, but it is a must at 90% of my lawns in Southern Ma. Any clippings in the beds afterwards or clumping on the lawn that showes up at the following weeks mowing in dead rotted/wilted spots would not be tolerated at my prices charged. You got it made.....

Mean Green Lawns
01-07-2007, 01:59 PM
I think it's all up to you and the quality of service you want to provide. Many homeowners want many different things and so if you cater to them you will find a loyal open bank account for many years. If you do little as possible and very little extra effort to make them happy then you will probably lose them as a customer and any referrals they might have later.

If bagging is something you want to provide if they need it or not can become an option for homeowners. I charge and extra $5 a week to bag the clippings and I haul them away. Obviously you must have a place to put the debris but the clippings can be used for a lot of things. They're great for gardens...

I dont agree that bagging takes time or is clumzy... Thats a personal problem. I tend to agree with the fact it does make the lawn look a lot nicer, easy to remove and put on, and the homeowners apreciate those guys willing to do it. ( I use a briggs motor for suction so I dont get clumping) For that matter I'll bag a lawn for free if it really needs it. I wil NOT ever leave a lawn covered in clippings mulched or not. If the grass is 10 inches long why spend an extra 10-20 minutes on a 15 minute lawn double and tripple cutting? BAG IT and move on is what logic tells me..

wowmowwow
01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
yah i cant count the times ive went over the yard to make it look the way i want it to. but in the end, when i drive away it still looks like crap but better than before i would have spent the extra 10 minutes. for those who are saying "time is money," does it make you feel superior when you drive away knowing you had the power to do something about the clippings, to go over it again. i know its up to the yards current conditions to have a good or great cut. and for that matter the every two weeks accounts! all assuming its a small lot...without sticks, rocks, and dirt...lol

steve45
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I have a factory grass catcher on my Scag ZTR. I was able to get a good price on it because the mower was a couple of years old and Scag had one in the warehouse they wanted to get rid of (slightly different from the newer ones). We have so many grass burrs, I have to bag the grass to try to get rid of them. Works great for leaf cleanup, just blow the leaves out of the corners into the clear part of the yard and suck them up.

greenkeeper
01-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I am torn myself in whether or not to get a bagger. I have a 60/25 Super Z and I can get the factory Bac-Vac for 1,400.00 and I just can't decide if I want to make the investment or not. I have many opinions...which everybody has one...but in the end I guess it is up to each person. I know it would be great in the fall and I do cut some yards in a pretty high profile neighborhood and nothing says "I really care what my lawns look like" than no grass clippings to be had anywhere. I live in North East Tennessee and you really have to keep on it more than every 7 days to not get clumping so I really think a bagger will help make the difference. Sorry for being long winded..but like verybody else we have little to do right now.