PDA

View Full Version : Weed Transfer.

Duekster
01-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Any body found a good way to prevent weed transfer via mowers? We clean and wash our mowers regularly but still not enough to stop the problem.

I know it is not as big of an issue for commercial as it is residential but it is still a problem.

Precision
01-05-2007, 08:32 PM
mower tranfer of weeds is BS.

the wind, birds, squirrels, the dog all move weed seeds much more efficiently than our mowers.

The best method I have found is getting licensed then applying snapshot in all bed areas on a quarterly basis and round up as needed.

In turf areas weed killer in winter and weed prevention in spring.

wowmowwow
01-05-2007, 08:42 PM
ahh yes...i took a basic landscapping class and the instructor said to spray alcohol under the deck after every yard. i think its a good idea. my opinion is that while loading up the trailor is like the pits in nascar. we would have to drive half way off the gate to properly get all of the suface of the deck, or we get off and spray ourselves.

Precision
01-05-2007, 09:14 PM
ahh yes...i took a basic landscapping class and the instructor said to spray alcohol under the deck after every yard. i think its a good idea. my opinion is that while loading up the trailor is like the pits in nascar. we would have to drive half way off the gate to properly get all of the suface of the deck, or we get off and spray ourselves.

It'll never happen. And even if you did, what you accomplish other than wasting time and money?

My well maintained lawns that have the mower as a vector have way less weeds than most neighbors who cut the grass themselves. Wonder why?

lawnpro724
01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Weeds are a part of this business and so is mower transfer especially if you mulch. I would like to see all of my customers be proactive about weed control but there not. Some dont want to see a weed in there yard and others just dont care. I dont think its a bad thing though as I'm a commercial applicator so I make money buy planting weeds via mower and then killing them off when they come up.

Duekster
01-05-2007, 09:27 PM
It'll never happen. And even if you did, what you accomplish other than wasting time and money?

My well maintained lawns that have the mower as a vector have way less weeds than most neighbors who cut the grass themselves. Wonder why?

Unfortunately, not all are well maintained, especially when you first take them over.

I agree, nature has a way of spreading them as well, but it is also proven that weed seeds do travel via equipment.

Duekster
01-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Weeds are a part of this business and so is mower transfer especially if you mulch. I would like to see all of my customers be proactive about weed control but there not. Some dont want to see a weed in there yard and others just dont care. I dont think its a bad thing though as I'm a commercial applicator so I make money buy planting weeds via mower and then killing them off when they come up.

Yes, but if you can use less and still get results. :hammerhead:

Precision
01-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately, not all are well maintained, especially when you first take them over.

I agree, nature has a way of spreading them as well, but it is also proven that weed seeds do travel via equipment.

perhaps in an otherwise sterile environment. But the simple fact is the other methods are nature's methods and have been proven by milliions of years of evolution, to work just fine.

Are your client's complaining or is this something you are worried about.

If my client's aren't worried about it, neither am I. And if they aren't paying me to control weeds, then I am not worried about bringing them new ones. the ones who are paying for control, are being controlled. No such thing as weed free.

Triple L
01-06-2007, 09:49 PM
I agree that weeds do spread through the deck. I have personally noticed in on my lawn. After cutting all the half grass properties we tip up the deck on the walker and give it a quick scrap. Takes no more than 3 min. Than continue on cutting all the high-end properties. Maby change the blades to while we're at it to nice sharp ones, but it's kind of hard if you don't have a walker where you can flip up the deck in 15 seconds. But when you are scraping the deck you can even see the weed seeds build up on the edges. BUT, I totally agree that it just comes with the business and am not over obsessed with cleaning the deck. Just something we do to help control the problem