PDA

View Full Version : any idea when things will pick up here in FL?

zliminator
01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
The web referal service told me this was a busy time of year. I haven't gotten more than 3 service calls and 2 installs in a month. Should I apply with Wallmart?

Dan

Dirty Water
01-06-2007, 03:47 PM
We are a good bit colder than you and we've been lining out work into February already.

Perhaps your not getting your name out?

Wet_Boots
01-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Are you in the yellow pages?

jerryrwm
01-06-2007, 10:09 PM
What are you doing to get new business? If you wait on the referral outfit, you might starve to death.

Get some fliers out, post some at the super market on the boards. Put 'em in doors. Stop and talk to people out watering their yard with a hose. Check in areas where new houses are being built.

You gotta burn up some shoe leather when you start. People don't know who you are until you tell them.

jerryrwm
01-06-2007, 11:28 PM
What are you doing to get new business? If you wait on the referral outfit, you might starve to death.

Get some fliers out, post some at the super market on the boards. Put 'em in doors. Stop and talk to people out watering their yard with a hose. Check in areas where new houses are being built.

You gotta burn up some shoe leather when you start. People don't know who you are until you tell them.

zliminator
01-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Someone told me the yellowpages are good. I just got a new printer for Xmas so I should come up with some flyers.

Dan

Wet_Boots
01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
You should have set up Yellow Pages ad(s) the moment you decided on this occupation, given the lead time you might have, depending on when the next book comes out. It gives you instant 'street cred' even if you don't buy display ads.

Ed G
01-08-2007, 07:13 AM
speaking from the homeowners perspective on choosing an irrigation company:

common for homeowners to contact the local irrigation supply houses for contractor recommendations. These places are really upfront and will even tell you which contractors to avoid.

When looking for a contractor (for whatever) in the yellow pages, I always contact the business with the biggest advertisement.

Make sure your business pops up when someone uses an internet search engine (for example - google search: "irrigation +Orlando,fl)

speedbump
01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
How long you been here Dan?

I just got a call today from a retirement sub down the road. Their pumps are out. This is a normal thing because of the way the system was designed. The people are having fits. Of course they are not paying for the repairs, the HOA is, so what do they care. I guess they don't understand that the only thing growing this time of year in Florida is weeds. So why water them.

The pump business is notoriously slow in the winter months starting several weeks before Christmas and ending up sometime in late winter early spring. I can't speak for the irrigation guys, but I would think it's the same for them. I know they aren't busy up north.

bob...

drmiller100
01-08-2007, 11:01 AM
"late winter early spring...."

Oh, you mean May?????

:rolleyes:

speedbump
01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Yup, that sounds about right.

bob...

laylow1994
01-08-2007, 08:07 PM
im in brandon florida and i am busy with everything from installs to upgrades to service calls.... and i really dont even advertise... word of mouth is the best way to go....

Wet_Boots
01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Word of mouth is great, but not so great for just starting out.

speedbump
01-09-2007, 08:46 AM
im in brandon florida and i am busy with everything from installs to upgrades to service calls.... and i really dont even advertise... word of mouth is the best way to go....

Laylow, do you find it to be slower in the winter than in the summer? Are you charging adequate prices for your labors?

I'm not in the lawn watering business, but I find that my competitors who work out of their home not a store front tend to cut prices to get the work and don't really make much of a living doing so. We are busier than normal for this time of year, but do find that when things slow down, we have a lot more pumpmen from other trades in county.

bob...