mow & snow
01-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Here is another picture

mow & snow
01-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Let's try this again

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Are you serious,dam that looks tough i would to get it dirty.

Uranus
01-06-2007, 08:01 PM
S.U.T
Stupid Useless Truck:laugh:
Thats what my buddy used to call my frontier crew cab. He was a big chevy guy.
Looks nice. It's funny how the hummer makes the plow look tiny. Nice ride.
Have you noticed all the people looking at your truck at stop lights?

Uranus
01-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Looks like you have a lot more room in your garage now. Does it fit?

d&rlawncare
01-06-2007, 09:03 PM
do you pull a trailer and mow as well with the H2

mow & snow
01-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Williams LC - Thanks. I wanted a bigger plow but the H2 requires a Meyers 7.5 STL. Also,only my trailer fits in the garage.

mow & snow
01-06-2007, 09:23 PM
d&rlawncare - Yes, I pull a trailer for lawn mowing.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Looks exactly like the one my dad has, only ours is yellow. How do you like it?

mikes landscaping
01-07-2007, 12:17 AM
nice truck, but is it actually practical for work? It looks mean with that plow, but i don't know if i could work with that.
-Pete

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
wizzkid316, I have 8,800 miles on it now and I like so much I can't wait to get my next one. I have a brush guard that is going on once I take the plow off. I am still considering buying a tonneau cover for it but I can't see spending a grand on one.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Is your brush guard crome, or is it the black one? And by next one do you mean your next one after this one or are you getting a 2nd one? And what kind of gas millage do you get, I get about 13-14 and once in a blue moon 15 on the highway, and 11 in the city. As for the tonuo or what ever cover, I thought they all came with them. I know ours came with it.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Mikes Landscaping - It works for me.It pulls a trailer and pushes snow plus it's a great tax write off. I see alot of expensive trucks being used for work. Mine just isn't as common as the others.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 11:54 AM
wizzkid316 - My brush guard is black to match the racks, step bars and tail light guards. I like the look of chrome but I hate having to clean it all of the time. When I say next one I mean in fall 2008. I get 10.6 mpg in the city pulling a trailer. I only drive about 9,500 miles a year. The tonneau cover is an option and mine didn't come with it.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Yah, chrome is a bear to clean, but yah, if you have black covers, racks and stuff you gota match. I want to buy one of my own, but they ain't happening for a little bit, I want to get a red limited addition sut, but my dad has yellow. And I think red is tougher, but your's don't look bad at all.

mikes landscaping
01-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Mikes Landscaping - It works for me.It pulls a trailer and pushes snow plus it's a great tax write off. I see alot of expensive trucks being used for work. Mine just isn't as common as the others.

Im glad it works for you. NIce looking ride.

ALarsh
01-07-2007, 01:42 PM
A $65k luxury SUV for work?

RedWingsDet
01-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Is this a JOKE?

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Mikes Landscaping - Thanks, ALarsh - It's the base package SUT for 54K, RedWingsDet - It's no joke, I use it every day for work.

WildRidge
01-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I know around here Mainscape has some H2's with Boss V blades on the front that they plow with.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
wizzkid316 - My color is slate blue metallic and they have a twilight maroon metallic that is real tough looking.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Yah, my neighbor has a chevy truck that is that color. his truck looks like a wussy truck, but yours looks tough. As long as it looks tough, thats all that counts.

qualitylawnmanagement
01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Are you serious? That is a nicer car then some of my accounts have. If I showed up to one of my accounts with that truck, people would think you are making way to much money off of them and hire a kid for $10.00 to do their 1/4 acre lot. No offense but that is to nice of a vehicle to go mowing in.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Qualitylawnmanagement - I'm lucky my customers are so loyal that it doesn't matter what I drive. Also shouldn't it be about doing a good job at a fair price and not what I drive.

ALarsh
01-07-2007, 04:04 PM
You will never get anywhere financially if you think you need a $54k "SUT" to cut lawns. You could have bought 2 new 2500HD's and a new Z instead of that H2.

Once you have several crews out running around making you money, then you buy the H2!

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 04:17 PM
ALarsh - I don't want to argue with you because I joined this site to have fun, learn, and possibly help others. But you don't know anything about my financial situation. This works for me and maybe your good suggestion would work for you or others. Peace

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Don't you just hate that when people turn everything into a big deal and telling you what you should and shouldn't buy, and what not to use and what to use? I tried telling people what I had and it turned into a mess. So what kind of trailer do you pull and what kind of equpiment do you got?

lawnangel1
01-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow thats nice. Can we see some pics of it pulling the trailer and equipment?

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Lawnangel1 - Thanks, All of the equipment is in storage, so I'll have to wait untill March to take some more pictures.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 04:50 PM
wizzkid316 - I have a 5x10 open trailer. I have a Ferris 52" hydro wb with a 23hp kaw and a 2 wheel velke, Ferris 36" belt wb with a 15hp kaw,2-Kawasaki weedwackers and 2-Stihl BG85 and 2-Stihl BR 600 blowers. This is my daily lawn mowing set-up.

Lawnworks
01-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Interesting set-up... although it is inefficient and not cost effective. What would fit in the back of the truck... a cooler? All of that money going to the truck payment, could actually be used to grow your business. Maybe you should hire an accountant or financial advisor.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Lawnworks - Everything I need is in the trailer. I rarely use the pickup bed. Don't worry about my finances, I'm OK. Why be a hater?

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Interesting set-up... although it is inefficient and not cost effective. What would fit in the back of the truck... a cooler? All of that money going to the truck payment, could actually be used to grow your business. Maybe you should hire an accountant or financial advisor.

Why would he put stuff in his bed and get it scratched up. Heck I use a mini-van, I don't use my dads H2 or my avalanche, I use my van and pull the trailer with that. I am doing just fine. So why scratch it all up. A nice vehicle and lawn equipment in it, don't mix. I'm sure if you owned one, you'd understand.

Lawnworks
01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Why would he put stuff in his bed and get it scratched up. Heck I use a mini-van, I don't use my dads H2 or my avalanche, I use my van and pull the trailer with that. I am doing just fine. So why scratch it all up. A nice vehicle and lawn equipment in it, don't mix. I'm sure if you owned one, you'd understand.

I own trucks that are actually set-up to do work! I mean come on man... does it really make sense to work out of a 54k truck??? especially when a base line 1500 would do the trick just as well? Assets that depreciate and do not generate income are not good investments.

Lawnworks
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Lawnworks - Everything I need is in the trailer. I rarely use the pickup bed. Don't worry about my finances, I'm OK. Why be a hater?

Why no ZTR? Lord knows you have enough pulling power and cash flow.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Lawnworks - I hear what you are saying and it's good advice. But my situation allows for me to have this truck. Everyone spends their $ differently. I work hard and I wanted this truck. As far as the Z, I have always felt that they are to heavy for my properties. Also I feel that nothing stripes like my Ferris. Plus you can haul a$$ on the velke. Truce

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Heck with the H2 you can put a trailor full of stuff on the back and your air shocks won't make anything of it, it won't go down hardley an inch. Is that how yours is. Well I should ask if you have air ride shocks.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 07:13 PM
wizzkid316 - No I don't have it. I know the adventure package comes with the air suspension package with self-leveling rear suspension and an onboard air compressor. Also, you can add it to the base and lux series.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Yah, ours came with the auto leveling and all the air compressor junk like that. What do your neighbors say about the rig?

RedMax Man
01-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Thats unique but man i just can't see how those Hummers can be efficient for landscaping. I understand that they're cool and probably fun to drive but they don't seem practical for work. It doesn't get you any more business then the rest of us driving pickup trucks.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Red max man - Thanks? - Like I said before, my truck does what I need it to do, pull a trailer and push snow. Also I didn't say it got me more buisness than others driving pickups.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I do everything with my van, I do just fine with a trailer, I don't need a pick-up, but I need one so the trailer sits up higher in the frong so I don't bend the metal back when I back off.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 09:32 PM
wizzkid316 - The neighbors like the truck but I don't like the neighbors pine tree in the picture.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Well tell them to cut it down. Tell them that it cramps yours and their style. And if they like it, then they will cut it down, and if not, then they will throw their milkshake in your face and say get lost. Thats the least that can happen,

RedMax Man
01-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Well tell them to cut it down. Tell them that it cramps yours and their style. And if they like it, then they will cut it down, and if not, then they will throw their milkshake in your face and say get lost. Thats the least that can happen,

Get real man because you aren't making any sence... at least not to me. Just deal with stuff and keep your unhelpful and annoying comments to yourself.

RedMax Man
01-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Red max man - Thanks? - Like I said before, my truck does what I need it to do, pull a trailer and push snow. Also I didn't say it got me more buisness than others driving pickups.

Thats great. As long as it works for you thats all that matters.

Lawnworks
01-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Lawnworks - I hear what you are saying and it's good advice. But my situation allows for me to have this truck. Everyone spends their $ differently. I work hard and I wanted this truck. As far as the Z, I have always felt that they are to heavy for my properties. Also I feel that nothing stripes like my Ferris. Plus you can haul a$$ on the velke. Truce

Now you got me all curious about your "situation." Did you win the lottery and you just cut for exercise??:)

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Get real man because you aren't making any sence... at least not to me. Just deal with stuff and keep your unhelpful and annoying comments to yourself.

You know what, have you ever herd the word "Sarcasm" or "sarcastic" or "joke" jeez, I was just having some fun. Gosh, We were doing just fine till you came in.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Lawnworks - No, I didn't win the lottery.HaHa-I cut lawns to pay the bills.

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Gota pay that toy off some how.:)

d&rlawncare
01-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I do everything with my van, I do just fine with a trailer, I don't need a pick-up, but I need one so the trailer sits up higher in the frong so I don't bend the metal back when I back off.

Didnt you retire that van? Or am i thinking of a different person?

AndyTblc
01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
No it's retired, but once I start using my truck in the spring I'm going to keep refering to the van. Cuz I haven't got a chance to work with the truck yet. So keep that in mind, I'm sure I'll get asked that more then once.

Runner
01-08-2007, 05:39 AM
That's pretty cool! That's only the second one I've ever seen with a plow, I think. The other was a picture, too. I do like that color, too. It is alot like what other companies call "Cobalt Blue". My neighbor has one just like that, but with the longer roof. I have to get a grin, because seeing that thing set up like that, kind of reminds me of the Permagreen ad that has one, but the guy doing the application is wearing a tux ad white gloves. :)

mow & snow
01-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Runner - Thanks man

mcwlandscaping
01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I like, and if your financial situation (which is NONE of our business) allows for it...the good for you!!! You have a uniqueness to your work that is eyecatching and that is getting harder and harder to do these days with all vehicle companies basically making very similar looking/performing things!

mow & snow
01-08-2007, 05:35 PM
MCWlandscaping - Thanks Mike. Also, I wanted to know if you read my reply to you about the white knight lights on the plow site? I hope it helps.

mcwlandscaping
01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
MCWlandscaping - Thanks Mike. Also, I wanted to know if you read my reply to you about the white knight lights on the plow site? I hope it helps.
yes i did!! thanks! afterwards i remembered, i already have aux backup lights on my truck!! LOL

DeereHauler
01-08-2007, 10:12 PM

i have a $40,000 truck, and i rarely put shovels in the bed. i don't believe this guy was looking for advice, i think he wanted to show off his truck, which if it is practical for you or not, its his truck, and his business......

Lawnworks
01-08-2007, 10:26 PM
yup your right... my damn common sense just oozes out of me... I will try to keep my trap shut from here on out so you don't get your pannies in a wad

mow & snow
01-09-2007, 10:13 AM
DeereHauler - Is your GMC a crew cab? Can you post some pictures of it?

DoetschOutdoor
01-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I dont care if its practical or not, its a nice truck either way. If you do mainly mowing and plowing, its really easy to keep a nice truck nice on the inside and out. If you can afford it, go for it. It probably gets alot of attention both hooked up to a trailer and just cruizing.

RedWingsDet
01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
There are 2 guys that cuts grass around here in a 2006 Esclade EXT.

Ya its nice, but I just dont get it.

teamoneoutdoors
01-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I had two H2 and sold one before Christmas. We have talked about using one as a tow vehicle. It is not as issue of one vehicle doing the job vs another. Our issue is that we all fight to create a better perception of our company vs the competition. If we can successfully gain positive attention utilizing the H2 thus allowing us to have opportunities that would not be generated with the standard truck then it makes since.

I know many will say let your work do that for you but the last time I looked, McDonalds parking lot was full and the other chains that have better tasting products were empty.

I say "Cool Ride" :clapping: and hope it makes working more fun.

ps I would put a wrap or partial wrap on it.

mow & snow
01-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Doetsch Outdoor - Thanks, I like to say "you only live once". It's easy to keep it nice during the mowing season because everything is in the trailer. I'll have to see about plowing, if we ever get some snow.

mow & snow
01-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Teamoneoutdoors -Thanks, Well said! Can you post some pictures of your H2?

Boycea
01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=qualitylawnmanagement;1665415] That is a nicer car then some of my accounts have. If I showed up to one of my accounts with that truck, people would think you are making way to much money off of them QUOTE]

mow and snow, I have to agree with him on this one. I had a H2 and though I didn't use it for work, I would use it when doing estimates. I got many negative comments about it with prospective customers complaining about the estimate and then remarking on my vehicle. Just wanted to let you know my experience and to watch out for that.

Adam

mow & snow
01-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Boyce - Thanks for the info. I haven't heard that from people yet. Since my business has grown over the past few years I can have the take it or leave it attitude when it comes to estimates. So if a potential customer doesn't want to hire me because I drive an expensive truck then so be it.

mikes landscaping
01-10-2007, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Boycea;1668470][QUOTE=qualitylawnmanagement;1665415] That is a nicer car then some of my accounts have. If I showed up to one of my accounts with that truck, people would think you are making way to much money off of them QUOTE]

Thats a really good point about showing up in such a expensive vehicle. But i guess there no more money then a f-350?

mow & snow
01-10-2007, 08:46 PM
You are right Mike, the F-350 Harley-Davidson is 52k and the F-350 King Ranch is 41k.

corey4671
01-21-2007, 04:37 PM
I own trucks that are actually set-up to do work! I mean come on man... does it really make sense to work out of a 54k truck??? especially when a base line 1500 would do the trick just as well? Assets that depreciate and do not generate income are not good investments.
AMEN! And if you say, "it's a tax write off, then you just spent 54k to keep from sending the IRS 12k. Not smart. A $5k truck would have done what you are doing just fine. I used to think the same way you do in that I wanted to drive nice vehicles until I realized that running a truck up and down the road everyday was killing the value of it. I learned this AFTER I dropped 30 k on a brand new truck 7 years ago. Why not buy a used truck that has already taken the depreciation beating? It all comes down to what do you want to destroy, a $54k truck or a $5k? If you answer $54k, you have your priortiies WAY out of line...IMO. You do your thing and I'l do mine, but your thing jsut doens't seem to make sense to me.

corey4671
01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I also once heard a very smart VERY financially well off man say, "live like no one else so that LATER you can live like no one else..."

LonniesLawns
01-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah -- dave ramsey would slap this kid upside the head wouldn't he!

corey4671
01-21-2007, 05:42 PM
can you say STUPID TAX?

Lawnworks
01-21-2007, 07:22 PM
AMEN! And if you say, "it's a tax write off, then you just spent 54k to keep from sending the IRS 12k. Not smart. A $5k truck would have done what you are doing just fine. I used to think the same way you do in that I wanted to drive nice vehicles until I realized that running a truck up and down the road everyday was killing the value of it. I learned this AFTER I dropped 30 k on a brand new truck 7 years ago. Why not buy a used truck that has already taken the depreciation beating? It all comes down to what do you want to destroy, a $54k truck or a $5k? If you answer $54k, you have your priortiies WAY out of line...IMO. You do your thing and I'l do mine, but your thing jsut doens't seem to make sense to me.

I am speaking from my own experience... not at all saying anything negative towards the hummer guy. I think you just hit a point in your life where you realize you are just pissing your money away on vehicles. Well at least some of us. I hit that point a couple of years ago. I guess I just realized I didn't need a super nice truck to enjoy life. I regret not putting that money toward my house or in the bank. I just can't enjoy that money anymore. All that hard work is gone. Now I find I enjoy life much more w/ a fat bank account than hefty payments. I already have enough stress dealing w/ clients... and I don't want to worry if all my payments are going to clear. The funny thing is now I can't imagine thinking any other way... it just makes too much sense.

LonniesLawns
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Look here for a "different" way of thinking?

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/lms/drive_free/player.cfm

corey4671
01-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I am speaking from my own experience... not at all saying anything negative towards the hummer guy. I think you just hit a point in your life where you realize you are just pissing your money away on vehicles. Well at least some of us. I hit that point a couple of years ago. I guess I just realized I didn't need a super nice truck to enjoy life. I regret not putting that money toward my house or in the bank. I just can't enjoy that money anymore. All that hard work is gone. Now I find I enjoy life much more w/ a fat bank account than hefty payments. I already have enough stress dealing w/ clients... and I don't want to worry if all my payments are going to clear. The funny thing is now I can't imagine thinking any other way... it just makes too much sense.

Wow! You're WIERD!! Welcome to the club!! In a fw years, that H2 will be worth about a fourth of what he paid for it and he'll remember this post. That 30K Z71 is now worth about 10K...RETAIL not trade in...that is if I were to sell it myself. I have THOUGHT about selling it to move down to a baseline 3/4 ton for about 5k, but heck, it's paid for and I'd only be coming out 5k ahead. PLus anything I buy for 5k is gona have twice the mileage my truck has on it. Just let this be a lesson to all you guys starting up, no matter what you hear, the high dollar trucks and trialers and equipment doesn't mean squat. The customer could care less. It is the QUALITY of work that you do with what you have that generates business. Lower overhead means less stress and more casflow which is WAY better that any car or truck...Just for poops and giggles, go to this link and take your car payment and enter it into the calculator. Give yourself 10% earnings on your investment as the average Mutual Fund in the stock market will give you no less than that. A $600/month car payment in 5 years would yield over $50k! You think that H2 will be worth that in 5 years? Hope you like the car. :) In 30 years when I am approaching retirement, I'd have over $1.5m and able to drive an H2 to mow yards as a hobby! :)

Lawnworks
01-21-2007, 07:46 PM

I am actually reading one of his books now.

Lawnworks
01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Wow! You're WIERD!! Welcome to the club!! In a fw years, that H2 will be worth about a fourth of what he paid for it and he'll remember this post. That 30K Z71 is now worth about 10K...RETAIL not trade in...that is if I were to sell it myself. I have THOUGHT about selling it to move down to a baseline 3/4 ton for about 5k, but heck, it's paid for and I'd only be coming out 5k ahead. PLus anything I buy for 5k is gona have twice the mileage my truck has on it. Just let this be a lesson to all you guys starting up, no matter what you hear, the high dollar trucks and trialers and equipment doesn't mean squat. The customer could care less. It is the QUALITY of work that you do with what you have that generates business. Lower overhead means less stress and more casflow which is WAY better that any car or truck...Just for poops and giggles, go to this link and take your car payment and enter it into the calculator. Give yourself 10% earnings on your investment as the average Mutual Fund in the stock market will give you no less than that. A $600/month car payment in 5 years would yield over $50k! You think that H2 will be worth that in 5 years? Hope you like the car. :) In 30 years when I am approaching retirement, I'd have over $1.5m and able to drive an H2 to mow yards as a hobby! :)

I just don't understand how people don't ding the hell out of these nice trucks while working in this industry. My guys put scratches and dings on the trucks they drive, and I can't really blame them b/c I end up doing the same thing out in the field. I saw a company off loading a pallet of sod out of his brand new lariat f350... I am thinking no way in hell would I ever do that! That is like hauling a pallet of sod in a mercedes if you ask me.

Another thing that we haven't mentioned is the insurance. You drive cheap vehicles... you save thousands on insurance(at least on liablity insurance). What is the insurance payment per month on 50k truck?

AndyTblc
01-21-2007, 09:46 PM
They take very good care of it. and use a trailer the whole time.

Lawnworks
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
They take very good care of it. and use a trailer the whole time.

Thanks... that was enlightening! I think you are on to something... why didn't I think of that?

AndyTblc
01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm just that gifted, thats it.

dwc
01-21-2007, 11:30 PM

Dave seems to have forgotton to mention the $2,000 transmission, the $350 alternator, the $350 starter, the $475 air conditioner repair, the $260 brake job, the $300 exhaust system, the $200 in hoses and belts, the $400 radiator, the $600 fuel pump, and the list goes on and on and on. I have been this route and yes I have replace ALL of these things on 1 used vehicle that I actually paid more than 1500 for.
Those things make a LOT of payments towards that new one with the 100K mile warranty. Plus you are still driving that used car that is undependable.

One other thing Ram man doesn't get to explain is most of us on this site use our trucks in business......if it doesnt start and go then that downtime at $60 for 1 man or $120+ for 2 man an hour starts making those payments real quick! Yeah a new one can break down, but it is less likely and with my dealer I can jump up and down until they usually give me another vehicle to use.

corey4671
01-21-2007, 11:42 PM
so are you working to make money or to pay that big hairy truck payment?

carcrz
01-21-2007, 11:50 PM
I was in the same boat he was last year. I got tired of dropping thousands into a truck that kept braking down regardless of the maintenance that was done on it. I finally decided to buy a brand new one & the fuel savings alone pays over half of my truck payment. Then add up the money I spent on it in 2 years, probably 6000 & that's a pretty good start towards a much more comfortable work vehicle. :cool2:

corey4671
01-21-2007, 11:52 PM
no WAY will I ever buy a brand new vehicle ever again! three years old or older. Let someone else take the kick in the teeth on the depreciation.

carcrz
01-21-2007, 11:56 PM
It isn't bad at all if you plan on keeping it. That's why there's a Cummins in my Dodge. It'll run forever! The body might fall apart, but the motor will still be running :laugh:

corey4671
01-22-2007, 12:04 AM

Guess I forgot to post the link...those numbers were so big I forgot all about it http://www.bygpub.com/finance/InterestCalc.htm

dwc
01-22-2007, 12:08 AM
I was in the same boat he was last year. I got tired of dropping thousands into a truck that kept braking down regardless of the maintenance that was done on it. I finally decided to buy a brand new one & the fuel savings alone pays over half of my truck payment. Then add up the money I spent on it in 2 years, probably 6000 & that's a pretty good start towards a much more comfortable work vehicle. :cool2:

My thoughts exactly. Mine is a Cummins also. The fuel savings compared to the older "paid for" truck are double to triple the fuel mileage. In our day of $2 plus a gallon gas that adds up, and on top of that I would rather give my money to the car companies than oil companies! Yeah it would be cool to throw the truck payment into a fund, but that all looks good on paper too. Real life changes things sometimes.
It is almost like "renting" a vehicle. Instead of paying repairs, I choose to make a payment. I also hate dealing with the scam artist mechanics in my area. DRIVING IS NOT FREE. Never will be no matter what you drive PERIOD.

Also, you take those repairs into account that I mentioned above and put that into Ram-man's theory and the millionaire thing doesn't quite pan out. I think its funny how at the end of his speech he basically says if you are a millionaire the speech doesnt matter and you can buy whatever you want.

carcrz
01-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Here's how I look at it. If you aren't happy, then what does it matter? If he wants an H2 & it makes him happy then get it.

LonniesLawns
01-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Cheap car does not mean an unreliable car.

His hummer is no more relaible than my 1999 Silverado 2500 -- yet I could buy three of them for the price he paid for his hummer.

Are you seriously using gas mileage as an argument that centers around a hummer?

Lawnworks
01-22-2007, 07:29 AM
So you guys are saying you cannot buy a good used truck for 10k? You have to spend 30k to get a truck that won't break down? I don't think so!

I am a cummins guy also. I have cummins trucks w/ 200k and 300k. They are reliable and work everyday. I let someone else pay for all the depreciation on the truck and then I buy the truck reap the benefits for the last 200k. I paid $3500 for my '94 Dodge 3500 w/ 235k... it now has 308k... and I believe it will make it to 400k. Sure I have had to put a clutch in it and do other repairs, but it is costing me much less than you 40k work truck, and it can do the exact same work yours can do.

And in Dave Ramsey's defense, you can buy a $3200 truck that will last 5 years or more. I bought a '99 Ford Ranger w/ 80k for $3200. I have not put a dime into as far as repairs, tires, etc. I can probably sell it in a year for the same or more than I have in it. So yes you can drive for free... if you are smart.

Woody82986
01-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm young but I have learned already that life is short enough that you need to do what makes you happy... when it makes you happy. If buying and driving an H2 is what makes the guy happy, then i say go for it. If you don't want a Hummer then don't buy one. Drive what makes you happy and do what makes you happy. J.K. Livin'!!!

Lawnworks
01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't think the discussion is focused on the guy w/ the hummer... but more of discussing financial strategies.

Woody82986
01-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Ok, then apply what I said to financial strategies. Do what akes you happy. If spending money is what makes you happy, then do it. In my area, alot of my clients would love to have a lawn guy who drives a Hummer. They would like everyone who drives by to see that they get their lawn cut by a guy with a Hummer. It would almost be a selling point around here. It would also serve to cut out the riff raff who are too caught up in the fact that I am driving a Hummer to realize that I do high quality work.
the whole new-used debate is almost as bad as the ford-chevy-dodge-toyota-nissan-younameit debate. If you feel like buying a used vehicle makes more sense, then do it. If you think you would be better off buying new, then do it. I think you will find that there are stats to support either way.

LonniesLawns
01-22-2007, 11:44 AM
There is not one single stat that could possibly suggest that driving a $50,000.00 truck for work make sgood business sense.

We mow lawns to make money. He is making less money becaue he is driving a Hummer than if he drove a more appropriately suited work truck for work.

His truck will be worth about $20,000 in 4 years. Thats a 30,000 depreciation. That is a large chunk of overhead that his business has to overcome.

Driving a more resaonable vehicle for work would mean that he either could work les or pay more.

Plus -- i fhe put took that 30k that he let disappear, and put it into some kind of property that would appreciate -- ie: house, stocks, funds, etc -- you would begin to build wealth instead of just looking like you are wealthy.

Lawnworks
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok, then apply what I said to financial strategies. Do what akes you happy. If spending money is what makes you happy, then do it. In my area, alot of my clients would love to have a lawn guy who drives a Hummer. They would like everyone who drives by to see that they get their lawn cut by a guy with a Hummer. It would almost be a selling point around here. It would also serve to cut out the riff raff who are too caught up in the fact that I am driving a Hummer to realize that I do high quality work.
the whole new-used debate is almost as bad as the ford-chevy-dodge-toyota-nissan-younameit debate. If you feel like buying a used vehicle makes more sense, then do it. If you think you would be better off buying new, then do it. I think you will find that there are stats to support either way.

I can't apply what you said to financial strategy... b/c there is no strategy. There is no strategy for building wealth. Look I am not trying to bash somebody b/c they drive a nice truck to work. It just doesn't make business sense though. I don't think you can argue that I am wrong.... besides it makes him happy. If you want to build wealth, and live a truly fullfilling life... you might have to make a few sacrifices to get there and stay there.

I really don't think a customer cares what the company drives. All they care is that the vehicle is reliable and gets their lawn done on the planned date.

dwc
01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
It's all in what makes you happy like others have said. For some of us, new vehicles make us tick......then when we trade them others are happy to buy them. Personally I would rather have the things I want and like now, put some back for retirement also, then when I get to that point of retirement I won't have to sit there and say I have all these millions in the bank but my health or whatever will not allow me to enjoy it. I know people like this and yeah they have lots of money in the bank but they also can't enjoy things now, and they have lived their whole life by going without.
In the same argument, having a fat bank account makes some people happy, just like having nice things now makes some happy. I guess if everyone thought alike it wouldn't be a real good world to live in.

And no, justifying a Hummer because of better fuel mileage would be crazy...I was referring to the one's here that were talking about their diesel work trucks.

One thing I notice that is something to consider here is some of the younger guys here seem to be the ones that are having the new vehicles and payments and some of the guys here that are more up in years and closer to retirement seem to be thinking along the lines of fattening the bank account. Not true in every case by any means but I do think there is a difference.

For what its worth, I drove a brand new 04 ford crewcab lariat diesel 4x4 for about 1 year back in 04-05 and when I traded it in, it only cost me 3K to drive it that year. I don't think thats too bad, $275 a month for a truck like that. There are some tricks to the auto industry that help you not loose so much money on vehicles.

Lawnworks
01-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Well I don't think it takes 40 years to become financially secure... maybe 5-10. I just think it is smart to invest in things that appreciate rather than depreciate. I don't have any 40k trucks... although I could afford to have 2 brand new f-350s in the drive. Instead I have a nice house, and I am able to live very comfortably while still putting a good portion of my income into my business for growth and into my bank account. I am not pinching pennies... just not throwing any away. I plan to spend some serious money in 6-7 years... but it will be on a large amount of land that will appreciate.

I know several young people that have to have new cars. They cannot do things on the weekend due to their budget limitations. Sometimes they can't afford to go out to eat... is that new car really worth it? Why is what people think of you so important? My generation is the "gotta have it now" generation.

I have several clients that drive new cars, but they pay for it in cash and it is just a drop in the bucket to them... I can understand that much better.

Lux Lawn
01-22-2007, 04:52 PM
sweet looking work truck.

mow & snow
01-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I go out and watch football all day and look what I missed. Woody82986 - Well said my friend. Carcrz & DWC - I agree, It makes me happy and it' new, reliable and under warranty. Lawnworks - I thought we had a truce. Like I said before it works for me and don't worry I can afford it. It might not make sense financially for your situation but it does for mine. Corey4671 & Lonnie Lawn - Calm down. I just showed pictures of my truck. You don't know about my financial situation or my investments. Thanks for the opinions on finances but at 40 years old I'm doing OK if you couldn't tell.

mow & snow
01-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Lux Lawn - Thanks man

carcrz
01-22-2007, 05:03 PM
His truck will be worth about $20,000 in 4 years. Thats a 30,000 depreciation. That is a large chunk of overhead that his business has to overcome.

You're only partially correct. It isn't anything for a 2003 H2 to go for over 30K around here.

ericlemson
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Figured this would be the best forum to start with. Im looking to start a mulch delivery service, but need a vehicle to deliver with swiftly. Looking at either the Ferrari 250 GTO or the Porsche 356. Any recommendations?

mow & snow
01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
If you can afford it, get both. Also get a trailer hitch so you can pull your dump trailer.

LonniesLawns
01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
You're only partially correct. It isn't anything for a 2003 H2 to go for over 30K around here.

But not when the truck has been used daily as a work truck.

carcrz
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
How would anyone know? My truck still shines like it was brand new & it's got 40K on it since I bought it a year ago. For all they know it is all highway miles.

I think we need to get back on track.

mow & snow
01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Wrong, my truck will have low miles and it will be maintained inside and out. Thus keeping a high trade in value.

mow & snow
01-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Carcrz - Exactly!

lawnpro724
01-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Which costs more Hummer or house? To me, just seems like a waste of money. Plowing is about it and what about gas mileage I would go with a new truck before that at least you can use a truck for more than just plowing.

DoetschOutdoor
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
What does a house have to do with anything? If that hummer costs more than your house then you are in the wrong business. NO way on earth either that an H2 is going to be worth only 20k in 4 years unless it was totally trashed.

mow & snow
01-22-2007, 07:40 PM
That house cost more. I also use my truck to pull a trailer for mowing.

corey4671
01-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Figured this would be the best forum to start with. Im looking to start a mulch delivery service, but need a vehicle to deliver with swiftly. Looking at either the Ferrari 250 GTO or the Porsche 356. Any recommendations?

Apache Helicopter...avoid al the traffic and you get the WOW factor..cause apparantly that is what'll get you the business..Folks'll be able to sit around at the country club and say..Well..so...MY LCO delivered that brown stuff around the bushes with a helicopter!!:laugh:

OMG
01-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I think it's cool. I'm proud for you.

Does it make good business sense? Maybe not, but who cares if that is what makes you happy. You've also got a nice daily driver to boot.

You only live once, which is exactly why I left the corporate world after 16 years and got into this business. If I can't enjoy some of the finer things in life being self-employed, I might as well go back to working for someone else.

FWIW, my main work truck is a F350 Crew Cab Dually Diesel 4x4.

The other trucks are F250 2x2.

TJLANDS
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
They are nice trucks. Good luck with it.
Would I do it..no.

I am talking about the Meyers Plow, I would have put a Stainless fisher on it or a Blizzard.

mow & snow
01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
OMG - Thanks, I'm having fun with it! Can you post some pictures of your rig? TJLands - Thanks, I went online and called many plow dealers and all I found was Meyer. They weren't my first choice but the service has been great and it does a nice job plowing . I'm putting it to work now because we are starting to get alot of lake effect snow.

dwc
01-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Apache Helicopter...avoid al the traffic and you get the WOW factor..cause apparantly that is what'll get you the business..Folks'll be able to sit around at the country club and say..Well..so...MY LCO delivered that brown stuff around the bushes with a helicopter!!:laugh:

I have been trying to figure out something to keep my pilot and the company chopper busy.....thanks for the idea! I guess I could go check up on him to make sure he does it right in the Porsche. :cool2:

dchauling
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Want to trade? I can give you my 99 2500 ram Diesel and a used lawn roller. oh yeah and a 10 year old house cat.

mow & snow
01-25-2007, 07:37 PM
I like Dodge and Diesel but I'm allergic to cats. LOL

carcrz
01-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Now that you mention diesel, the only thing that would make that H2 better is to put a Cummins in it! Sounds like a winter project.

General Landscaping
01-25-2007, 09:59 PM
While I, like many others here don't understand your purchase:confused: It's good to see one of them actually working:clapping:

I don't understand why a Tahoe with a different body is so much more popular?

For those who really want a off-road capable powerhouse; look into a Unimog. Those things can drag flipped Hummers through places a Hummer could'nt go on it's own:weightlifter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog

AndyTblc
01-25-2007, 11:19 PM
While I, like many others here don't understand your purchase:confused: It's good to see one of them actually working:clapping:

I don't understand why a Tahoe with a different body is so much more popular?

For those who really want a off-road capable powerhouse; look into a Unimog. Those things can drag flipped Hummers through places a Hummer could'nt go on it's own:weightlifter:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog

To bad hummers aren't on tahoe frames. Hummer is on its own frames.

carcrz
01-25-2007, 11:42 PM
To bad hummers aren't on tahoe frames. Hummer is on its own frames.

Better do your research before making such statements. The H2 has been on a Tahoe frame since GM started making it. The H1 has always had its own frame & will no longer be available to the public after this last year.

mow & snow
01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Carcrz - I was told by the dealer (probably BS) that the H2 was a Tahoe platform and had it's own heavy duty frame.

carcrz
01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Just did a little more research. I guess I was slightly mis-informed also. It is actually a mixture of components from different GM frames - mainly the Tahoe & Suburban. It also uses some parts from the 2500 HD. They did this in order to cut costs of needing to make new sections to the frame. The only part of it that is H2 specific is the mid-section due to the needed ground clearance.

Albemarle Lawn
01-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Really gives it a nice look. I can't use the center caps they won't clear the big hubs.

Anyway, how do those tires do in the snow? I take mine off every winter and slap little 16" tires/wheels on with studded tires on all for corners. Combined with my locking diff, it will plow snow up hill on a sheet of ice, where many trucks couldn't go, period.

mow & snow
01-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Carcrz - Thanks for the info. You saved me from doing the research! Albemarle Lawn - Tires are good so far. I'm still driving in full time 4 wheel hi, I haven't used the 4 wheel hi lock,low lock or the locking diff yet.

AndyTblc
01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
See I know what I"m talkin bout. because tahoes frames I know can't hold all 8500 lbs of hummer. Yah, its cool.

stuffdeer
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Don't let these guys get you down, It looks awesome dude.

mow & snow
01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Wizzkid316 - Good call on the frame. I wasn't sure about it untill you brought it up and carcrz did some research. Stuffdeer - Thanks man, I'm not down because I'm the one driving it!

AndyTblc
01-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I knew I was ment for something and knowing about vehilce frames is what I was ment for. Gosh Darn I'm good. I really shouldn't flatter my self.

markam70
01-27-2007, 12:29 PM
wizz...congrat's on the new truck. i hope your family's all doing ok

AndyTblc
01-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks, yah we're doin ok, except my dad said that if I bought my self a truck he has to get a new truck, so he's trading his in for a newer one. All the neighbors just laugh.