PDA

View Full Version : Tire question

wriken
01-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a 05 dodge 3500 dually. The stock rear tires (generals) with about 43000 miles on them were getting pretty thin, the fronts are at about 25-30% left. So I went to the tire store and bought 4 new tires for the rear (coopers HT) had them installed and now it feels like once in awhile squirmy back there. I was wondering if its because of the different tire brand, I was going to pull the spare out, buy another general tire and put the new spare, new tire on the front, thus I will end up with 6 new tires. But if the ride/response is caused by different tires I will go and get 2 more coopers. What do you think??:)

Gravel Rat
01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
What PSI do you have them set at you should be atleast manufactures recomended on the front and for the rear 10-15 psi below what says max pressure on the tires. I would wait and let the tires break in first they are still grabby and on a dually the tires need to wear in pairs once they get worn in the squirly should go away. I'am used to 16" rubber so I don't know what the new 17 or 18 inch tires are like what is the load rating and PSI rating.

For the steer tires if its a 2wd truck buy the best RIB tread tire you can find in that size. If you have a Cummins that puts allot of load on the tires you never get cheap on the tires that steer. They make or break the handling of the truck you never want to rotate the tires on a dually anyhow especially if you pull heavy or haul heavy loads. Those rear tires see allot of rim pull and distortion why put a partially damaged tire on the front to give you troubles.

With a dually you always leave the rear tires to wear in pairs you should get almost two pairs of steer tires to 1 set of drive tires unless your a person that likes leaving tire art on the roads.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I agree....Soon as the new tires wear just abit and flatten out the squirelly ride should calm down

wayne

Eclipse
01-07-2007, 08:00 PM
FWIW - My experience with Cooper tires has been very poor. IMHO there is a good chance of what you are experiencing is because of the tires themselves not be all that great.

Gravel Rat
01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Being thats a brand not sold or used much around here. I learned over the years about running 1 ton dually trucks is never buy cheap tires. I feel spend a little more now than replace cheap tires twice.

The problem now that the manufactures have gone to these odd ball size tires its tough to find a selection.

Potchkins
01-07-2007, 11:15 PM
you need load range (D)min and run 80psi in the front and 55psi min rear (i run 65psi) rear

Gravel Rat
01-08-2007, 12:11 AM
If you have D rated tires you don't want to run 80 psi most D rated tires are max 65 psi. I like the heavier ply rating tires they are a little more forgiving when your running over rough ground.