PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting Into Irrigation

rogers lawn care
01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
can anyone tell me if you have to be license in south carolina to install irrigation,or do maint.or repair? if not would you know who to contact to find out? done a search nothing on south carolina before you ask. thanks in advance.

londonrain
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
No license needed in SC.

rogers lawn care
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM
thanks londonrain.

bicmudpuppy
01-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Is there a forum somewhere where people are continuously asking "How do I find a better way to make a living and get OUT of irrigation?"

pharmdc1
02-17-2007, 11:05 PM
London Rain- I am also in SC and considering starting an irrigation business. I noticed that you have been doing it for many years and mention that it is just you and one other guy. I am in a similar situation. Have you found that there is enough of a demand in SC for irrigation to make good money and how feasible is it for 2 people to do it? Thanks in advance.

koster_irrigation
02-18-2007, 09:42 AM
theres plenty of irrigation work in greenville sc.

nice city. could handle several contractors with no problem

There should be NO concern about how many contractors there are in your area. If you do a good job your business will grow.

londonrain
02-18-2007, 11:14 AM
London Rain- I am also in SC and considering starting an irrigation business. I noticed that you have been doing it for many years and mention that it is just you and one other guy. I am in a similar situation. Have you found that there is enough of a demand in SC for irrigation to make good money and how feasible is it for 2 people to do it? Thanks in advance.

When I started irrigation in Greenville, I could count the number of contractors on one hand. Now contractors come and go so fast I cant keep up. I try and do service only April - Sept and installs/service Oct-March. I work only with homeowners and I DO NOT work for builders because I like to get paid when the job is complete. If you do good work you should do fine. There is only 5-6 companies that only do irrigation in Greenville, the rest do landscaping and irrigation. This is my 17 year in business and it has taken a lot of hard work to get to the point we are at now.
I know a lot of irrigation/landscapers in town and the newer companies do a lot of their work with builders or give their work away. We have over 1000 customers and this is what it takes to keep us busy doing irrigation only.
For example I had three calls yesterday(Saturday) for service and in the summer we get upwards of 30 calls a day for service.

Also an employee from another irrigation only company called me about a month ago looking for a job since they had no work.

pharmdc1
02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
So what you are saying is that the market is overcrowded right now and only the established companies are going to do well? We are considering starting from scratch and would need to bring in over 100K per year. Do you think we should do landscaping as well as irrigation? Do you see something in demand right now that we could get into that would help us get established? Also, if you don't mind, could you give me any figures as to how much money we could expect to make (especially the first few years) if we were somewhat successful? Our wives aren't too keen on this idea, so numbers would really help our case.:) We would actually be working more in the Spartanburg area. I looked in the phone book and there were 25 companies listed under "irrigation." Do you know how to PM? If so, could you PM me some figures if you don't want to post them here? Thanks!

bicmudpuppy
02-20-2007, 02:52 AM
your looking for 100K wages/profit for you and your partner in the first year? That's how I read that anyway. There are several threads on here about starting up and they all say the same thing first..............be prepared to live absolutely BROKE for the first two to three years. Success and profitability do not come quickly. An established company name can put you in that tax bracket you want to be in, but not in the first five years.

Remote Pigtails
02-20-2007, 09:14 AM
My joke in seriousness to anybody who asks me about going into my business is that it took me five years to figure out how to make a profit and another five years to figure out how to make a living. What made me survive was learning to bust out a lot of work fast and a strong interest in what I refer to as my "craft". I think it is more important to develop a strong talent in one area "mine is repairs and upgrades" than to be a jack of all trades. Once your business is based on price you are doomed. Word of mouth is the best selling tool. Little things matter. Now I'm going through a new stage in my business cycle because my body isn't 25 anymore. (Turned 50 last year) So I'm trying to turn myself into a teacher and manager of others and this may be the most difficult stage of all because I'm having to trust others which I've always struggled with. It could also be the most rewarding. There is a reason most businesses fail within 5 years. It isn't easy.

PurpHaze
02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
(Turned 50 last year) So I'm trying to turn myself into a teacher and manager of others and this may be the most difficult stage of all because I'm having to trust others which I've always struggled with. It could also be the most rewarding.

But it's pure joy when you see that recognizable "light bulb" go on when someone finally gets a concept you're trying to teach them. :)

Remote Pigtails
02-20-2007, 09:48 AM
It'll second that. It also makes nap time so much better.:sleeping:

pharmdc1
02-20-2007, 01:22 PM
your looking for 100K wages/profit for you and your partner in the first year? That's how I read that anyway. There are several threads on here about starting up and they all say the same thing first..............be prepared to live absolutely BROKE for the first two to three years. Success and profitability do not come quickly. An established company name can put you in that tax bracket you want to be in, but not in the first five years.

OK, let me be more realistic. We plan to start a business doing mainly irrigation, but possibly other landscaping until we get our customer base. It will only be me and my 50% partner to start. To keep our bills paid at home we would realisticly have to pay ourselves combined 70 to 80K per year. Do you think it will be the lack of work that will prevent profitability? The only overhead we would have would be a loan for any equipment we would buy (trencher, trailer, truck/van, other tools, etc). We would be charging the customer for any materials used for a job and charging for our labor, which would essentially be profit. You say we should be prepared to live BROKE for a couple of years. What does that mean in terms of numbers? Will we be putting all of our money into paying off the equipment and having none left to pay ourselves?

jerryrwm
02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
OK, let me be more realistic. We plan to start a business doing mainly irrigation, but possibly other landscaping until we get our customer base. It will only be me and my 50% partner to start. To keep our bills paid at home we would realisticly have to pay ourselves combined 70 to 80K per year. Do you think it will be the lack of work that will prevent profitability? The only overhead we would have would be a loan for any equipment we would buy (trencher, trailer, truck/van, other tools, etc). We would be charging the customer for any materials used for a job and charging for our labor, which would essentially be profit. You say we should be prepared to live BROKE for a couple of years. What does that mean in terms of numbers? Will we be putting all of our money into paying off the equipment and having none left to pay ourselves?You might consider sitting down and coming up with a business plan. One that shows realistic, expected income, expenses, profits, etc. Also, more research into what is involved with starting and running an irrigation and/or landscaping business. There are many sites online that can give you realistic numbers and information.
Also to get to your hopeful salary, you are going to have to generate somewhere around $200,000.00 in business, which might be a pretty tall order for a start-up company with no experience and no history to put new customers at ease.

Not saying that you shouldn't go into business, but you need to be doing a lot more research and soul-searching.

aric43085
02-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Irrigation has always been a tough business to "feed two mouths" I would consider going at it alone before taking on a partner. I had a business partner when we started our company back in 2000, but there are so many unforseen things that can strain your partnership. There is a matter of banking along with checks and balances. I bought him out of the business in less than 12 months after we started it.

Remote Pigtails
02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Irrigation has always been a tough business to "feed two mouths" I would consider going at it alone before taking on a partner. I had a business partner when we started our company back in 2000, but there are so many unforseen things that can strain your partnership. There is a matter of banking along with checks and balances. I bought him out of the business in less than 12 months after we started it.

I couldn't agree with you more.

In reviewing the prior posts pharma I'm curious as to what is your experience or knowledge of irrigation and or landscaping?

pharmdc1
02-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I couldn't agree with you more.

In reviewing the prior posts pharma I'm curious as to what is your experience or knowledge of irrigation and or landscaping?

Actually my experience in irrigation/landscaping is limited. I am more of a business person. My partner is the one with the know-how. He works in maintenance for a school district and does a lot of work on their plumbing, irrigation, and landscaping. We have been installing irrigation systems on the side for about a year and we have been considering doing it full time. However from the comments on this thread it sounds like it is not such a good idea.

Remote Pigtails
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Actually my experience in irrigation/landscaping is limited. I am more of a business person. My partner is the one with the know-how. He works in maintenance for a school district and does a lot of work on their plumbing, irrigation, and landscaping. We have been installing irrigation systems on the side for about a year and we have been considering doing it full time. However from the comments on this thread it sounds like it is not such a good idea.

Sorry it sounded so negative here. The school of hard knocks is tough in this business. It can provide a good income with planning and perseverance.

pharmdc1
02-20-2007, 02:43 PM
You might consider sitting down and coming up with a business plan. One that shows realistic, expected income, expenses, profits, etc. Also, more research into what is involved with starting and running an irrigation and/or landscaping business. There are many sites online that can give you realistic numbers and information.
Also to get to your hopeful salary, you are going to have to generate somewhere around $200,000.00 in business, which might be a pretty tall order for a start-up company with no experience and no history to put new customers at ease.

Not saying that you shouldn't go into business, but you need to be doing a lot more research and soul-searching.

Thanks for the info. We are not even close to committing to something. Right now IS the research stage. That's why I am on this forum- to get insight from those that have been there and done that. We are just beginning to look into the equipment we will need and different business loans. Any suggestions? Also, from your experience, how much do you think a startup company could potentially generate in the first couple of years?

aric43085
02-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I would look into buying a small irrigation firm or buying customer lists from contractors looking to leave the business. This is the time of year where some contractors wont be around for 07 and there customers will turn to the first company to contact them.