PDA

View Full Version : Arena

DUSTYCEDAR
01-07-2007, 01:17 PM
has anyone tried this product yet? http://media.arvesta.com/media_center/files/arena/Arena%20-%20TIB.pdf
looks like it may be another good tool for grubs.

Victor
01-08-2007, 12:40 AM
I haven't used Arena, but I have been using an Allectus combination product. It's called 18-2-5 with Allectus. I had excellent results with it. The lawns I used it on came out of the back side of Summer in top condition. I didn't have a failure on a single lawn and some of these lawns had serious problems with chinches, billy-boys and grubs. I can't say enough good things about this product.

Vic

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
when did u apply it? i couldn't get it in time last year to try it? do u have irrigation or just rely on rain?
thanks dusty

rider
01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
I haven't used Arena, but I have been using an Allectus combination product. It's called 18-2-5 with Allectus. I had excellent results with it. The lawns I used it on came out of the back side of Summer in top condition. I didn't have a failure on a single lawn and some of these lawns had serious problems with chinches, billy-boys and grubs. I can't say enough good things about this product.

Vic

Who carries Allectus?

upidstay
01-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Arena is in the same class of chemicals as Imidicloprid (Merit) and works about the same. Supposed to have a bigger window of usage. I don't believe tht it comes as a fertilizer combo, and was told that it won;t be for the near future. Allectus is a Merit/Talstar combo. Comes in a variety of fertilizer analyses, as well as straight liquid and granular. I know Lesco carries it, and I'm sure most of the other distributors do too.
I haven't used Arena myself, but the trials I've read looked good. About the same as Merit.

ant
01-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Allectus liquid last yr. for me. started july 5 here in south jersey.

Victor
01-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I started my apps in June and you can get it from your local UAP distributor. I had my customers water the product in. The fact that I was able to get an Allectus combo product and not an Arena combo product, is why I tried the Allectus. Worked great and saved me a lot of money over applying straight Arena and having to go back over the lawn to apply a fertilizer.

Vic

tremor
01-11-2007, 12:55 AM
I sell Arena & it won't be available on fertilizer this year.

http://www.arystalifescience.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1505

Arena (clothianidin) is a new neonicotinoid insecticide (same family as Merit). It has both eradicating & preventive properties. If you sell a new lawn in the spring & discover it has left-over grubs from 2006, you can make ONE application to clean out the existing grubs & get season long control of all insects for the year with that application.

Dr. Shetlar (OSU) has found that Arena control grubs better than Merit at lower rates.

We're also seeing much better control of Chinch & lepidoptera.

Arena moves so fast in ornamentals it's almost scary. I controlled a major Mealy Bug problem last year in 8 days (Acer dissectum). It also translocates faster in conifers than Merit.

Watch out for certain Alectus+Fertilizer combos. The .18% material delivers only half the Merit that the regular .2% Merit materials do (.1 Merit & .8 Talstar). This is less Merit than the consumer products contain! The Andersons .225% Alectus delivers the correct rate of both Merit & Talstar.

With Arena you don't need to combine actives or make multiple treatments. Clothianidin works by itself to control a wider range of larger insects for a longer time.

Victor
01-11-2007, 01:20 AM
I sell Arena & it won't be available on fertilizer this year.

http://www.arystalifescience.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1505

Arena (clothianidin) is a new neonicotinoid insecticide (same family as Merit). It has both eradicating & preventive properties. If you sell a new lawn in the spring & discover it has left-over grubs from 2006, you can make ONE application to clean out the existing grubs & get season long control of all insects for the year with that application.

Dr. Shetlar (OSU) has found that Arena control grubs better than Merit at lower rates.

We're also seeing much better control of Chinch & lepidoptera.

Arena moves so fast in ornamentals it's almost scary. I controlled a major Mealy Bug problem last year in 8 days (Acer dissectum). It also translocates faster in conifers than Merit.

Watch out for certain Alectus+Fertilizer combos. The .18% material delivers only half the Merit that the regular .2% Merit materials do (.1 Merit & .8 Talstar). This is less Merit than the consumer products contain! The Andersons .225% Alectus delivers the correct rate of both Merit & Talstar.

With Arena you don't need to combine actives or make multiple treatments. Clothianidin works by itself to control a wider range of larger insects for a longer time.

That's some really good info there. It sure will be nice when Arena is available as a combo product. After reading what you said, I'm glad I picked the right blend of Allectus (18-2-5 with .225% Allectus).

Vic

Victor
01-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Would you do me a huge favor and start a thread where you elaborate on what qualities you look for in a Summer blend of fert? Not all of my customers opt for the insect-combo fert. In situations like that, where straight fert is applied, what type of analysis would you prefer to use? Would you put this product down at half-rate like a lot guys do, or full-rate? Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated. There are qualities I look for that time of year, but I'd really like to know what you look for? I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to learn more on this topic. Thanks again.

Vic

ant
01-11-2007, 05:56 AM
tremor: i wish you were in my neck of the woods..
good reply to that post..
anthony

DUSTYCEDAR
01-11-2007, 09:21 AM
great info thanks thats what i was looking for

tremor
01-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Ant,

We just opened a place in White Plains, NY & landed a small amount of NJ business but delivering beyond Rockland County will be awkward this year.

At least the westward migration has begun.

FYI New Yorkers - Arena is not registered in NY yet. (so what else is new?)

DUSTYCEDAR
01-11-2007, 04:03 PM
SHIP IT TO ME AND ILL MAKE ANT BUY LUNCH to get his stuff lol

Mattcurry
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
I know that arena is what middleton uses in the summer, i also think that solaris is a product either identical or very similar to arena.