PDA

View Full Version : Don't be Ripped off again!!!

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Man...I am just sick of the crap. I hear about people being ripped off almost every day.
So I'm going to show & tell you guys how to do it with a little effort and little money.
I have several devices on trailer and truck in order to make sure they remain mine. I'm going to keep adding photos and tips to this thread so keep checking back. Also feel free to add any ideas that could help us all keep our equipment.

Idea #1 that works the best for me.
All you need in and anchor, auger, cement and lock.

Cost me around $65.00

Rent auger $25.00 - $30.00
Anchor parts $10.00 - $20.00
Cement $10.00 - $15.00
Lock $20.00 - $30.00
Estimated cost $65.00 - $95.00

Photos should show close-up's of all the parts I used but I try to explain exactly what was used.

Anchor:
1-1/8" tractor pin
1/4" grade (8) bolt with nut
3/16 steel cable with crimp
5/16 X 8" steel plate

Auger:
8" x 3'

Cement:
2 bags ready mix - just add water etc.

Lock:
5/8 x 6' Brinks maximum security flexible steel cable/lock

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Here's the anchor and all the parts.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Rent an auger for less than $30.00
I used a one man auger with a 8" bit and drilled down 3 feet in less than 10 min.
Just no big deal.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Poor cement in hole and leave room at the top to cover with dirt.
place anchor in cement like photo

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:09 PM
loop lock through anchor.
cover with dirt.
park trailer over lock and loop through axle.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Thieves will not be looking for this when they try to take your trailer.
They will cut off the other locks that they can see, hook-up and try to leave.

One of two things will happen. The trailer axle will break at the leaf springs or the hitch on truck will break.

After they do a major burn-out in your drive and tell the entire world they are trying to steal your trailer they will unhook and leave.
They are not going to then crawl under trailer and try to cut through a 5/8 steel cable after making so much noise.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
You can also do this same thing in a paved driveway.
The only other item you need to rent is a concrete saw.
Cut a hole in concrete.
Remove down to dirt.
Do all of the above but fill all the way to top with cement instead of covering with dirt.
Smooth out just the way it was.

Tim Wright
01-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Go LawnTime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My plan is to get my equip out of the weather and into the shop, in an enclosed fence with barbed top, wired with cameras.

Then if someone comes in, I will know who, go and hunt them down at 2 am and have fun tearing them limb from limb, then laying stripes on them.

Call me crazy.

Tim

Tim Wright
01-07-2007, 04:25 PM
The only thing I can think of that might cause problems with the anchor in the concrete drive is hitting them when plowing snow.

Tim

Fantasy Lawns
01-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Looks neat ..... I'm lazy thou n just have 2 pitt bull that like to sleep under the truck or trailer

KS_Grasscutter
01-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Neat idea, but the top part of the hitch pin, with the cable through it, is NOT all that strong at all. At least on all the hitch pins I have ever used.

Ok, nevermind. I looked closer at the pics and saw the other cable.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Here's the other reason they will unhook trailer and not try to drive away.
It's a simple body alarm that runs on a 9 volt battery.
The part on the right attaches to under side of trailer next to wheel.
This will allow main part to be removed whenever you want.
The double blade part slides under edge of tire. When blade is separated because tire is moving the alarm will scream over 120 db of ear piercing noise.
I'll bet they wont try to drive down the street like that.

Cheep, easy and they won't see it coming.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Neat idea, but the top part of the hitch pin, with the cable through it, is NOT all that strong at all. At least on all the hitch pins I have ever used.

Ok, nevermind. I looked closer at the pics and saw the other cable.

Ya that's the beauty of it...you can use what ever anchor you want.
This is what I came up with. I don't think there is a stock truck made that can move that anchor.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 05:07 PM
So you can see what I'm talking about, here's a photo of alarm on trailer.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I also use a club style device on the steering wheel that has an alarm with remote. Like the body alarm it just didn't cost very much.
It has a red LED light on end that lets people know it's armed. It's also so sensitive it will go off when you close the door. It must be armed after you get out.

Jpocket
01-07-2007, 05:18 PM
A heavy chain would be much better.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 05:23 PM
A heavy chain would be much better.

Anything can be cut. The idea is that they don't know it's there at all.
I think the 5/8 steel cable is just as strong as a 3/8 grade 80 log chain.
I could be wrong but that's what I remember.

LawnTamer
01-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I like the alarm on the tire. I have only had one thing stolen-ever, it was a spare sulky wheel- go figure.:confused:

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I also bought this wheel lock for times when I can't lock it to the dead-man anchor for what ever reason. I won't use them both at the same time because it will defeat the purpose of hiding the lock on axle.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
great ideas keep um commin

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I like the alarm on the tire. I have only had one thing stolen-ever, it was a spare sulky wheel- go figure.:confused:

Yup! Once the trailer rolls forward the dead-man anchor will stop them and the alarm will be blasting away. If your sleeping while they try to move it, you will be awake for sure. As will the entire neighborhood.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 05:48 PM
The cool thing about the body alarms is they can be moved to any location and still be effective. Here's one on my mower. Easy to place all over trailer and mowers etc.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 05:55 PM
You can also get creative with wiring a body alarm between trailer and vehicle.
All your doing is opening a closed circuit in order to activate alarm. So if the trailer has one connection and truck has the other. The alarm will go off if the trailer is removed from hitch.

LawnTamer
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
How much are the body alarms, and where did you find them?

For home defense I like to display one of my used silhouette targets in the basement windows.

Couple holes in the head
Couple holes in the chest
BIG shotgun blast to the crotch.:laugh: :laugh:

ozd12005
01-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Great ideas.... sweet set ups

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Here's the latest thing I'm working on now.
I'm adding a different kind of lock to my weed eater rack.
The photo show a car club but I'll be using a larger truck steering wheel club that will be cut just below the lock.
The shaft will go through two of the three holders and lock on one end with the u shape on the other end. This way I can lock them at night and use it as a straight shaft holder during the day. We can lift it up and remove just one weed eater or all the way out to remove two. I just wish I could find two that are keyed alike so I could use them in both sides with only one key.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
How much are the body alarms, and where did you find them?

Here you go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-130-dB-Personal-Security-Alarm-Door-Alarm_W0QQitemZ180070682981QQihZ008QQcategoryZ102536QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or just look them up on ebay "personal alarm"
Just really NOT much money at all

Precision
01-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Here you go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-130-dB-Personal-Security-Alarm-Door-Alarm_W0QQitemZ180070682981QQihZ008QQcategoryZ102536QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I like the buried anchor idea, but wouldn't the alarm get chewed up by the weather, bouncing around while you are driving, smashed when you back over something. I have enough problems with the brake light lines getting snagged much less a true electronic component.

Just wondering, or do you plan on installing it again nightly?

d&rlawncare
01-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I like the buried anchor idea, but wouldn't the alarm get chewed up by the weather, bouncing around while you are driving, smashed when you back over something. I have enough problems with the brake light lines getting snagged much less a true electronic component.

My guess is that you would only have it on there when you will be at a work site or when you are parked for an extended time.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 07:32 PM

It pops in/out with little or no effort. And yes I put it in place after we finish mowing every night, and remove every morning. Just not a big deal.

d&rlawncare
01-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Here you go.

If anyone is planning on bidding on this. Please keep us informed on here so we dont bid against each other.

Precision
01-07-2007, 07:42 PM
It pops in/out with little or no effort. And yes I put it in place after we finish mowing every night, and remove every morning. Just not a big deal.

Ok I though you were suggesting keeping it mounted all the time.

I secure my equipment in a locked Concrete Block workshop. My trailer sits (empty) in the weather. But hopefully next year I will be moving into my full time shop and may install your trailer idea in the ground. $50-100 well spent in my opinion.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
If anyone is planning on bidding on this. Please keep us informed on here so we dont bid against each other.

There are actually several listed on there.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-3-PAAL-Quorum-Personal-Attack-Danger-Alarm-NEW_W0QQitemZ200064211852QQihZ010QQcategoryZ102536QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Personal-alarm-130db_W0QQitemZ190069432635QQihZ009QQcategoryZ102536QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Personal-Alarm-130dB-Rape-Attack-Siren-Motorcycle-Bike_W0QQitemZ260071919562QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3204QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dunn's
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Those are good ideas there.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Ok I though you were suggesting keeping it mounted all the time.

I secure my equipment in a locked Concrete Block workshop. My trailer sits (empty) in the weather. But hopefully next year I will be moving into my full time shop and may install your trailer idea in the ground. $50-100 well spent in my opinion.

After I came up with the idea I did a search to see if anybody had done this before. I found that there are several different versions of what I did in the motorcycle world. People will cut a hole in concrete and do the same thing that I did in the dirt. I have a gravel drive now but I would have cut a paved drive just the same to secure my rig. If they drive off with my outfit I'm out of work until insurance kicks in....I simply don't have time to deal with that.

Thieves will always find a way NO MATER WHAT! I'm just trying to add a little confusion with a little lost cost hidden trick.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Here's another style of anchor that would work the same.
You just sink it in concrete the same way.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Cool where did you buy the wheel lock on page two and what did you pay looks like something i could use.

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Cool where did you buy the wheel lock on page two and what did you pay looks like something i could use.

ebay user: mdlockss
Here's one here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOAT-MOTORCYCLE-UTILITY-TRAILER-WHEEL-LOCK-ACCESSORY_W0QQitemZ190069580278QQihZ009QQcategoryZ6755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Other multipurpose things that you can use the body alarm for are putting alarms on weed eater, blowers etc.

There are two separate ways to arm the alarms. One is the blades touching the other is a pull pin. Notice the pin in the photo on the right side of alarm.

If the pin in the alarm is pulled, the alarm goes off.
Example: Hide alarm near weed eater rack and tie fishing line on pin and other end to whatever you want to add alarm too.

I have a fishing line on entire weed eater rack at night and on items we don't use throughout the day while mowing. So if someone tries to lift something off trailer while we're in back of property they will get a loud surprise.

Again nobody will expect this kind of alarm system.

Frontier-Lawn
01-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Here's another style of anchor that would work the same.
You just sink it in concrete the same way.

that would stay more in the concrete i think

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
that would stay more in the concrete i think

It's really not a bad design but it won't hold as well as the one I built.
There is no way the steel plate on the end of mine would ever come out.
The grade 8 bolt would have to break off even on both side to pull through hole and if by some miracle that would happen then the cable would kick in and hold just as well.

The reasons for burring under ground are to keep it out of site and out of mind. They can't cut hook unless they dig it up. The hook and cable would be an easy target to cut but the 5/8 steel cable not so much.

Frontier-Lawn
01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
the pin you have i have one like that and its a c shaped ring welded to a shaft

Lawntime Mowers
01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
the pin you have i have one like that and its a c shaped ring welded to a shaft

Yup it's the 1-1/8th shaft with c ring. That's also part of the reason I added the extra cable support. Although there isn't going to be much traction in my gravel drive I didn't want to put all my faith in those welds.

Although a very very good point. I did allot of research before I put it all together and I'm sure I would have gone with a heavy Eye-bolt if I had a paved drive. The eye-bolts I looked at were really expensive and not really necessary in my opinion. I hope I never have to test it one way or the other.

mcwlandscaping
01-07-2007, 10:11 PM
AWESOME thread, great ideas, i was going to do that earlier in the year for my plow but, just got lazy and didn't!....this should be stickied as it is important and applies to everyone who gives a damn about thier hard earned equipment.

Lawntime Mowers
01-08-2007, 12:29 AM
AWESOME thread, great ideas, i was going to do that earlier in the year for my plow but, just got lazy and didn't!....this should be stickied as it is important and applies to everyone who gives a damn about thier hard earned equipment.

Thanks man!
I can't listen to another horror story about an entire LCO rig being ripped off.
I know how I would feel if mine got ripped, I would simply be devastated.
We spend countless hours putting these rigs together to work for our specific needs not to mention it's our livelihood.

This helps me sleep allot better at night so I thought I should let others sleep too.

The thieves get more and more creative all the time so I thought we should too. If they can be sneaky....why can't we. They don't let us see them coming so why should we let them know all the tricks up our sleeve.

With the cordless cutting tools available these days they could take most trailers in less than five minutes no mater what chains or locks are used.

jsf343
01-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Go LawnTime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My plan is to get my equip out of the weather and into the shop, in an enclosed fence with barbed top, wired with cameras.

Then if someone comes in, I will know who, go and hunt them down at 2 am and have fun tearing them limb from limb, then laying stripes on them.

Call me crazy.

Tim

I LOVE IT!!!!! wow there is someone else like me. I have told my wife if I find someone trying to take my stuff there will be no cops involved. I will tie them up bring em back to the shop and torture them.

Lawntime Mowers
01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I call this next one "stop letting thieves use your own stuff against you"
All you need for this one is:

drill
1/8 drill bit
nail
electrical tape

1. put the trailer jack all the way up
2. drill hole through bottom of jack (like photo)
3. insert nail in hole
4. cover with electrical tape to hold it in place as well as to hide.

When they try to jack trailer up to put it on their hitch, it's not going to move.
They wont know why and again wont expect this kind of security.
It's just way to simple to use this one against them. It only take 30 sec. to drill hole. 30 sec to drop in nail and add tape.
You only spent 1 minute to make them go get a another jack of their own.

Lawntime Mowers
01-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Here's the close up photos of jack.

Tharrell
01-08-2007, 12:20 PM
You can tell who's been ripped off by the creativity in their efforts to not have it happen again. I've got a lot of layered security on my stuff.
btw, do you think that cable lock will really not pull loose at the lock?
It looks like the lock itself would be the weak point.
I use cable locks to lock up individual pieces to the trailer. I also have a 36 ' x 3/8 kriptonite cable that threads through everything.
I use the biggest Masterlocks I could get to secure my kriptonite cables.
I have one of those heavy duty tongue locks and the chains have a lock on them too.
My trailer is in a fenced doglot behind my house and the gates are chained and locked. The trailer is cabled to the fence with a huge Masterlock and kriptonite cable.
The only thing I don't have is an armed guard.
I also have 2 video cameras postioned outside that record to a hard drive.

Lawntime Mowers
01-08-2007, 12:29 PM
This one will really confuse them when they try to drop trailer tongue on hitch.
Get a round neodymium magnet about 1" - 1-1/2" and about 1/2" thick. The size will depend on your trailer tongue.
Glue a flat washer to one side. This will help keep it from crushing.
Place magnet inside tongue where ball goes.
Most of the time It's hard enough trying to get ball and receiver to hook up. When they try to hook up the receiver, it wont drop all the way on ball to lock in-place. They will be in such a hurry that will be the last thing they will think of.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2007, 12:35 PM
some real good stuff

Lawntime Mowers
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
You can tell who's been ripped off by the creativity in their efforts to not have it happen again. I've got a lot of layered security on my stuff.
btw, do you think that cable lock will really not pull loose at the lock?
It looks like the lock itself would be the weak point.
I use cable locks to lock up individual pieces to the trailer. I also have a 36 ' x 3/8 kriptonite cable that threads through everything.
I use the biggest Masterlocks I could get to secure my kriptonite cables.
I have one of those heavy duty tongue locks and the chains have a lock on them too.
My trailer is in a fenced doglot behind my house and the gates are chained and locked. The trailer is cabled to the fence with a huge Masterlock and kriptonite cable.
The only thing I don't have is an armed guard.
I also have 2 video cameras postioned outside that record to a hard drive.

I've always owned my own business in one capacity or another. And like you I've had to keep a close eye on the thieves.
Actually the 5/8" cable with lock will hold hold an entire truck completely off the ground if it had to. I wouldn't worry about it breaking.
I also have the kriptonite brand locks in various places all over the trailer....great locks!

A friend of mine has the infrared motion sensor cameras hooked to dedicated computer also. Man that is an awesome system. Cost him around 3G as I remember.

Like I said before...ANY lock can be cut and they can steal anything they set their mind too. I just want to make it a little more difficult for them.

Lawntime Mowers
01-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Speaking of infrared, I used this one (from radio shack) on a number of occasions.
All you have to do is point it at a reflector on the trailer and if someone breaks the beam it trips the unit. You can hook up the unit to a number of things such as alarm, lights, relays switches and more.
In a completely different business I ran a low voltage relay switch that turned on over 5,000 watts of flood lights and an ear piecing alarm.
It was a very open area that anybody could wonder into. I never lost a single thing and under the circumstances I should have lost several items.

Lawntime Mowers
01-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Bump.......

Shadetree Ltd
01-09-2007, 03:07 AM
Some good ideas but I have snapped a cable that looked like your picture quite easily. One of the lazers got stuck in the fall and all I had to connect them with was one of those locks to try and tow it out. It snapped with zero strain on the machines. The cable is strong but the lock is the weak link. Our trailer is secured so well that the aluminum walls are the only way you are getting into it. I also use trimmer trap for my trimmers and like the lock location on them. Full GPS with multiple antenas on both trailer and truck, 5 immobilizers in the truck and a total of 750 db of siren and I still worry so much that I park another truck in the way with another 5 different immobilzers.

Duekster
01-09-2007, 03:50 AM
I hate thieves.

Lawntime Mowers
01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Some good ideas but I have snapped a cable that looked like your picture quite easily. One of the lazers got stuck in the fall and all I had to connect them with was one of those locks to try and tow it out. It snapped with zero strain on the machines. The cable is strong but the lock is the weak link. Our trailer is secured so well that the aluminum walls are the only way you are getting into it. I also use trimmer trap for my trimmers and like the lock location on them. Full GPS with multiple antenas on both trailer and truck, 5 immobilizers in the truck and a total of 750 db of siren and I still worry so much that I park another truck in the way with another 5 different immobilzers.

Well I might have to reconsider the cable lock. As a demo I've seen a cable/lock lift the front end of a truck completely off the ground. But if you broke one trying to pull out a lazer I might have to get the 80 grade chains back out.
The GPS systems are an awesome way to go. I might do that next year.
The tricks I'm using anybody can use because they just don't cost much at all.

mbricker
01-09-2007, 01:25 PM
What usually gets stolen here is one of your gas cans. Friend of mine got an extra 5 gal. can, and now it's the only one on his truck that is visible while he's on the job. It has about a gal. of water and 2 1/2 gal. of gas in it. He hasn't had it ripped off yet, but says when it does get stolen, he knows the thief will spend a lot more getting the water out of his fuel system than the money he thinks he's saving on gas.

Tharrell
01-09-2007, 02:09 PM
HA HA HA!!! I loved the idea of baiting someone with the gas can. I have a TON of old cans and I can't think of a better way to dispose of stale gas!
I'M GONNA DO IT!!!

cantoo
01-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Tharrell, make sure to run a couple of runs of duct tape around the handle of the jug and to the side of your trailer to reminder your own employees not to use that jug. The tief will still take the jug but it will remind the employee.

mikes landscaping
01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
This is a great post. You definetly have some great ideas, and know how to put them together.
-Pete

Lawntime Mowers
01-09-2007, 11:11 PM
This is a great post. You definetly have some great ideas, and know how to put them together.
-Pete

Thanks man!
These are just easy tricks I've been using for years and I thought I would share as many as I could.
Everybody want to hunt down the thieves and make them pay, but this almost always ends in disaster.
There are several stories of the thieves or relatives of the dead thieves suing the person they stole from or tried to break into.
If you have dogs guarding the trailer and they actually kill the thieve, you're actually in allot more trouble than they would have been by steeling your trailer. Fair? NO True? YES
I was so mad watching a show a few years ago where a family came home to find a body laying in the yard. The dogs killed someone. The family lost everything because they couln't prove he was trying to break in the house. The relatives of the thieves made up some crap and they won the lawsuit.

I do hope this thread will help at-least one LCO avoid a disaster.

Tharrell
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
HA HA HA---I LOVE a nice tall corn field!

alwaysgreenirrigation
01-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Where do you all live? I live up here in Gods country (MN) . I was in law enforcement for 11 years, and should know better, but the crime rate is extemely low up here. I live out in the sticks and half the time never even take the keys out of my vehicles. I have however started carrying cables and locks on my trailer in case I have to run into Home Depot or other retail stores while working.

mountianview
01-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I pay $150 xtra on my insurance theft coverage. park under portable garage inside dog pen ,six dogs ,one german shepard , works good ,sometimes too good ,they wake me atleast once a night ,damn cat burglers !!!!and rabbit thieves !!!

DeereHauler
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
great ideas. i just hope the thieves aren't smart enough to read this thread, or else they may have you all figured out!

i guess i really underestimated how bad crime is in some areas. we don't have the problems here with equipment getting stolen, just the standard drugs, and dui's and such. i usually leave my trailer at my house, or near my parents house, unlocked usually, just last year i bought a lock for the hitch but thats it. i should get in gear before it happens to me.

right now i have 2 trailers, 1 tractor,and some hand tools at a job, guess i should get them locked up tomorrow.....this thread really gets me thinking

mikes landscaping
01-11-2007, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=right now i have 2 trailers, 1 tractor,and some hand tools at a job, guess i should get them locked up tomorrow.....this thread really gets me thinking[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is a big problem..hope this thread helped wake you up..lol

Matts lawn care
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
This is a great thread gave me tons of ideas. I dont evean know where to start. Lets keep the ideas coming. This should become a sticky.

Mean Green Lawns
01-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Looks neat ..... I'm lazy thou n just have 2 pitt bulls that like to sleep under the truck or trailer

ME TOO LOL

Mean Green Lawns
01-12-2007, 12:57 AM
I live in DETROIT well.. Metro Detroit.. Actually Pontiac for those who know the area... off Joslyn.. lol ( the ghetto) and CRIME is fkin "stupid" here... OUT of control.

People from MI might have read about this in the paper..
2 months ago I had my house broken into... at the time my dogs were locked up out back in their own shed/dog house...
These guys, 2 of them, came through a window while we were sleeping, and stole our car keys. Took my girls car and GOD being on my side that night, left my truck with ALL my tools and equipment in the trailer ( just so happen I was too tired to bring it in that night) with the keys in it! Took my girls car to Troy (near-by city) two days later and did the same thing to a house out there but ended up in a high speed chance with the police. Flipped the car (totaled) like 8 times they said on 75 at Big Beaver.

Moral is .. they left my TRUCK AND TRAILER.. I couldn't believe it... I still can't believe it now telling all of you.. I get all hyped up and sh it... Anyway I just put my 2 pit's in the house and locked all my stuff up obviously..

I'll tell you what there is nothing like a pissed off pit bull and mine just hate some people. ( one just had puppies.. http://www.myspace.com/adorablepuppies4sale )
Problem is they do wake me up about 2 - 3 times a night when I sleep. They bark at EVERYTHING.. even their own frickin shadow if they think it looks out of place.

SLC, LLC
01-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Lawntime - You live in a seriously dangerous area!!! I would save all that money on safety devices and move into a differnet area!

mx495
01-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Any ideas on how to keep people from stealing yard signs?

Precision
01-12-2007, 02:58 PM
There are several stories of the thieves or relatives of the dead thieves suing the person they stole from or tried to break into.
If you have dogs guarding the trailer and they actually kill the thieve, you're actually in allot more trouble than they would have been by steeling your trailer. Fair? NO True? YES
I was so mad watching a show a few years ago where a family came home to find a body laying in the yard. The dogs killed someone. The family lost everything because they couln't prove he was trying to break in the house. The relatives of the thieves made up some crap and they won the lawsuit.

Depends where you live. Florida is a Castle state. Glad I live here. If you are in my house without permission, it is assumed that you are trying to do me serious bodily harm, thus justifying the use of deadly force.

Can't shoot bad guys outside, or running away or stealing from an out building, but if they are under your roof, blaze away. By law, it's their bad.

Lawntime Mowers
01-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Lawntime - You live in a seriously dangerous area!!! I would save all that money on safety devices and move into a differnet area!

My area actually has a very low crime rate.
But hey........Good God I hope your kidding!!!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15475741/?GT1=8618

Lawntime Mowers
01-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Any ideas on how to keep people from stealing yard signs?
Most signs are picked up by local home owners trying to keep their street corners sign free.

I know how. But not sure I should tell how to keep them in the ground.
Things could get messy and could cause trouble if done wrong.

Grits
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Most signs are picked up by local home owners trying to keep their street corners sign free.

I know how. But not sure I should tell how to keep them in the ground.
Things could get messy and could cause trouble if done wrong.

Come on...tell us!

Swampy
01-12-2007, 06:50 PM
We park trailers outside when not in use or for winter, same thing with plows. And I really like your anchor idea for them

But have some other questions

We keep a 300gal bulk water tank outside best way to lock that up?

What about inside? We keep all are of our Stihl equipment inside a pad locked windowless storage room. Mowers and trucks in bays. Any Ideas? Was thinking of running cable locks to a chains and the chains to the steel poles that hold up the roof since we can't cut into there floor.

Dunn's
01-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks man!
These are just easy tricks I've been using for years and I thought I would share as many as I could.
Everybody want to hunt down the thieves and make them pay, but this almost always ends in disaster.

I do hope this thread will help at-least one LCO avoid a disaster.

So this reminds me of what I always say. Come home and find a dead body. Wrap it up and throw it in the river. If you didn't know them it is next to impossible to link it back to you.

Dunn's
01-12-2007, 10:21 PM

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Someone in St. Louis telling someone they live in a seriously bad area. We have been in the top five for crime for atleast ten years.

kipcom
01-12-2007, 10:33 PM
The best security is >>.... OUT OF SIGHT....<< if they cant see it, they wont steal it, thats why all of our equipment is stored inside a fenced in compound with a 10' high fence and "locked". The Li'l puppys make alot of noise also when someone they dont know trys to come too close :hammerhead:

Lawntime Mowers
01-13-2007, 12:25 AM
We park trailers outside when not in use or for winter, same thing with plows. And I really like your anchor idea for them

But have some other questions

We keep a 300gal bulk water tank outside best way to lock that up?

What about inside? We keep all are of our Stihl equipment inside a pad locked windowless storage room. Mowers and trucks in bays. Any Ideas? Was thinking of running cable locks to a chains and the chains to the steel poles that hold up the roof since we can't cut into there floor.

mmmmmmm 300gal water tank........ The best method is to hide it in plane sight.
Example: If you have a car stereo worth several thousand dollars you can put cheapo looking stereo cover over the front when your away. Nobody is going to break in to steal a piece of junk. Same thing applies for other items.
I don't know if this idea will apply because I don't have all the details.
If you mark on the side of the container "septic waste" who the hell is gonna steal that?

As far as the inside questions go. You can also hide item in plane site.
Example: there are several thousand homes all over the world that have the front door key hidden in a fake rock just outside the front door.
Again don't know if this will apply to your needs.
Put a nasty looking rusted-out 50 gal barrel in the corner of the room with a round piece of plywood as a false spacer with trash bag of junk stack at the top.
You remove a trash bag and board to get to the equipment hidden in the bottom.
As far as securing the mowers and trucks, I would suggest a security system on building and vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Lawntime Mowers
01-13-2007, 12:32 AM
That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Someone in St. Louis telling someone they live in a seriously bad area. We have been in the top five for crime for atleast ten years.

Hit me as funny too. lol
Don't mater where you live, you're not exempt from theft. Like a car wreck....Maybe not this year or next but it's likely to happen sooner or later.

Lawntime Mowers
01-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Typed last post to darn fast.......ahhhhh that's plain sight.
Has nothing to do with planes. lol

Mean Green Lawns
01-13-2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Detroit&s2=MI

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Dallas&s1=TX&c2=Detroit&s2=MI

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Chicago&s1=IL&c2=Detroit&s2=MI

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Miami&s1=FL&c2=Detroit&s2=MI

Larson is down in Detroit statistically because there is no time to worry about the small crap going on..lol

Lawntime Mowers
01-13-2007, 02:09 AM
What about inside? We keep all are of our Stihl equipment inside a pad locked windowless storage room. Mowers and trucks in bays. Any Ideas?

I almost forgot this one. I've actually done this one also.

Get a cheap Boom Box with a CD player.
Make sure it will play the CD over and over without stopping. (continuous loop)
download mp3 files of barking dogs from net.
make a cd of random barking of one or more dogs.
play cd in boom box at loud volume when your not there.
make sure thieves can hear barking dogs outside door.

Any local recording studio can put this together for you if your not sure how.

Prestige-Lawncare
04-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Good thread ... and some good ideas!

jdlawn
04-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I know i am kinda late on this thread but i was reading through it and there are a ton of great ideas and i just wanted to say that Lawntime Mowers is a BEAST, and i would hate to have a run in with you man.

Lawntime Mowers
04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I know i am kinda late on this thread but i was reading through it and there are a ton of great ideas and i just wanted to say that Lawntime Mowers is a BEAST, and i would hate to have a run in with you man.

Hey jd
I see your also from MO.
Hope you can use some of these ideas man.
Na, I'm a lovable guy that hates violence as well as getting ripped off.
But as you know here in Mo we can legally pack heat. So thieves should beware and take notes that several of the guys I know pack a little something extra in their lunch box. Not a good idea to climb up on another guys trailer in MO.
I try to prevent as much as possible so it NEVER EVER EVER has to come to that.
Now go make some money......Happy mowing jd !!!