PDA

View Full Version : Kids cuttin grass

newbomb
01-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I was responding to a post in the Starting in business section and the Poster made the comment"You see kids cutting grass all the time." I know there are a few here and there but I see very few Teenagers cutting lawns any more. I started thinking How nice it would be to be 17-18 and staarting a lawn service now. I would love to be starting a lawn service with the knowlege I have now and the responsibilities and energy I had then. It seems to me that mowing lawns today would be a gold mine for any teenager willing to work and learn today.

HOOLIE
01-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe it's the area here...I can only recall seeing one LCO in the last 10+ years that looked to be teenager-run. But this is a hi-tech region, don't think most kids aspire to cut grass for money. They can make a lot of money working indoors if they have the right skills.

MattsMowing3535
01-07-2007, 05:12 PM
There are a few around here that cut grass besides me. I personaly think that starting a buisness when your around 15 and getting it fully up and running before you even graduate is perfect. Becuse you have no expenses of liveing or very few so you can make alot of money build the buisness and then just make profit profit profit when you get out on your own.

Jpocket
01-07-2007, 05:15 PM
I was responding to a post in the Starting in business section and the Poster made the comment"You see kids cutting grass all the time." I know there are a few here and there but I see very few Teenagers cutting lawns any more. I started thinking How nice it would be to be 17-18 and staarting a lawn service now. I would love to be starting a lawn service with the knowlege I have now and the responsibilities and energy I had then. It seems to me that mowing lawns today would be a gold mine for any teenager willing to work and learn today.

sure is...It's a great business for a young man. I started young, and I still consider myself young. It just takes someone to realize at that age what the potential is. I realized it, and took advantage of it. Alot of the younger guys doin it, either think too small, or don't know how to go about building there business.

procut
01-07-2007, 06:10 PM
You bring up a good point. Lawnsite seems to be saturated with 13-19 yr. olds that are "lawn "business" owners However, I actually see very few teens out working in my area.

wowmowwow
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
there aren't any kids in my neighborhood mowing. if i knew of one though that was fanatic about mowing then hede be on my mower making 40/60. cant find good help. startem young

Lynch Landscaping
01-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I started when I was 12 and I had 2 accounts, now at 16 I have 20 mowing accounts, 18 snow removal accounts, and a few small landscape projects. I started with a 21in mower, shindaiwa trimmer and blower, and if you look at my signature you can see how much I grew in four years.

Honerlaw-LawnCare
01-07-2007, 07:16 PM
This site has been great that is for sure. When I started my own business last spring I came to this site and learned about everything i needed to know with a couple days of using the search tool. You are right though, this industry is great money and has spoiled me, just makes me want to keep doing this and not worry about college. I'm 18 and going off to college next year and was wondering if anyone else has been in this position before? I was thinking about calling some of the local guys to see if they would take care of my accounts until i came home for the summer or I might just sell the business and get back in if i ever feel like it. If anyone wants to share their ideas i'd love to hear them!

ed2hess
01-07-2007, 08:33 PM
There are a lot of jobs that kids aren't doing any more.....like jobs at McDonald etc. Parents make enough money to support them in the style that they are happy with, I guess.

Runner
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
This is because this is what the industry has dissolved to. With the "mowing" business, you either have to go big time - and I mean BIG time, or nothing at all. For a 20 year old, you can go out and do 30 accounts @ 35 apiece and gross a tidy little 27, and maybe net 22. However, when it comes to having to pay a mortgage, heat and electric, telephone, groceries, house insurance, auto insurance, property taxes, maybe a truck payment, and the numerous other expenses, then you are in the negative. This is before you return any money into the business, save any money for yourself (let alone have any extra spending), and of course there is zip zero ziltch for health care, and zip zero ziltch for retirement.

pclawncare
01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
id be supprised if any major loc will just look out for your accounts for you till you can come back and make the bread and butter money for the season. I started college this year and was in your position and i know how it sucks to possibly let go of everything you have worked so hard for. I stayed in town and went to a jr college and it has been a great thing for me i got all my classes on tues and thurs that means i can work about 30 hours during the week and sat and sun if i need to. I know how much it sucks to be in your position, but sticking with it has probably been one of the best things i have done