PDA

View Full Version : mulch covers

willietd2
01-07-2007, 06:25 PM
can anyone tell me what company makes the chute covers for mulching

JKOOPERS
01-07-2007, 06:27 PM
trimmer trap is one i also think ones a vulcher. heres one site for ya http://trimmertrap.com/

willietd2
01-07-2007, 06:48 PM
thanks, i went on trimmer traps web site. they got some cool stuff but its not the one im looking for.i seen it in a thread on here but cant find it. the one im looking for is similar to the trap but has what appears to be small slits in it . if you know of any more please let me know. thanks, willie

JKOOPERS
01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
you mean the dixie chopper one ?

willietd2
01-07-2007, 07:06 PM
i dont know. im searching the threads again if i find it i will let you know. thanks

JKOOPERS
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.advancedchutesystem.com/index_2.htm i think this the one http://www.powerchutedesign.com/

willietd2
01-07-2007, 07:32 PM
bingo,its the advanced chute system . your a life saver,do you have any idea how many threads i been through? not to open another can of worms, but do you know which one is better?

Envy Lawn Service
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
If you want to mulch.... buy the factory mulch kit for your mowers.
This will provide the results you want, save you money and frustration.
You have to do more than block the discharge off to mulch.

If you want something to flip closed to avoid slinging clippings into a tree ring or something... then these covers are fine. Shut them a second while you pass by, then flip back open...

willietd2
01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
thas all im looking for is to protect mulch beds and such.i could care less about mulching. thanks envy

MOW ED
01-08-2007, 08:25 AM
I know it isn't 100% professional but is it possible to add some heat and bend your factory chute to be a chute blocker when you need it. I did that with my 2 Toro chutes. A little heat, bending, cutting and welding and I have a functional solution. I even painted them Toro red after it was all welded up. When not needed they are held up with a bungee cord. I am not cheap and would buy one if I needed to mulch but I only mulch leaves and this works great for that too.
(Now please don't hump me about not having a deflector chute)

Mean Green Lawns
01-08-2007, 10:53 AM
WHat are these for??? I have been looking at this for almost an hour and can not find a single reason this product is ever needed nor saves you time or money... so whats the point? MuLCHING..??? Is this what people use to leave all the garbage on peoples lawn when they mulch leaves or grass clippings? I would be fired from everyone of my homeowners if I used something like that. I dont how so many of you get away with it.

fiveoboy01
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Did you even read the whole thread?

Apparently not.

A OCDC is used to keep grass clippings out of beds and other areas where you don't want them to go. They are not for mulching.

willietd2
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM
yeah, try reading the whole thread and you will see what i want it for.

MOW ED
01-08-2007, 09:51 PM
WHat are these for??? I have been looking at this for almost an hour and can not find a single reason this product is ever needed nor saves you time or money... so whats the point? MuLCHING..??? Is this what people use to leave all the garbage on peoples lawn when they mulch leaves or grass clippings? I would be fired from everyone of my homeowners if I used something like that. I dont how so many of you get away with it.

I guess you are trying to live up to the Mean name in your title. Read a little before poppin off and you will become an asset here. If you just run off at the keys without thinking that asset subtracts the e and the t and thats what all will think of you as.

naturescape
01-08-2007, 10:45 PM

And yet again, you show off how little you know! How long have you been in the mowing business? Two weeks?

Mean Green Lawns
01-09-2007, 12:35 AM
lol you guys sure jump to the defencive side real quick.. is that how you react to your homeowners as well? lol I dont care what you use it for.. If you can't keep the clippingS out of the beds without something like that then you obviously got trained by someone who doesnt know jack sh it because I never have a problem with clippings in beds.. EVER! Some of you are really pathetic and I can see why so many people in this industry are confused... lol what a joke...
NO WONDER I GET SO MUCH WORK EVERY YEAR.. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE MY COMPETITION.. LOL

fiveoboy01
01-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Nobody got defensive. It was simply pointed out that you did not read the whole thread, which it's obvious you did not.

If you're trying to stripe a lawn correctly, there will be times when the discharge chute will be pointed at a bed. It's not always avoidable.

Apparently you have no beds on your properties, or you do a double/triple circle around the bed with the discharge pointing out, which looks like dog crap. I see a lot of that around here.

You're not going to get a friendly reception here with that crummy attitude. It's apparent that you don't care, but don't expect to make any friends acting like that...

Mean Green Lawns
01-09-2007, 12:47 AM
okay Im gonna point this out for you like I do to my 5 year old nephiew...

THATS WHY I ASKED IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION!!!! HELOOOOOOOOO DID YOU READ WHAT I HAD TO SAY.. IF SO SO DID YOU UNDERSTAND IT AT ALL OR DID EMOTION TAKE OVER AND YOU JUST BELTED OUT THAT I MUST NOT HAVE READ IT.. CAUSE NO SH IT FOOL THAT IS WHY THERE IS A QUESTION MARK AT THEN END OF MY SENTENCE.................................................! you gotta be joking me

txgrassguy
01-09-2007, 01:17 AM
OCDC's do have their place and value. This has to be balanced against their suspecticibilty towards damage.
What I use is a piece of 8" wide implement drive belt linch pinned in place over the discharge chute. I have cut multiple slits in the belt with a razor knife to allow air to pass through.
Unless I am mowing really heavy turf windrows aren't a problem and this does an aceeptable job keeping debris out of the beds.
Bear in mind my crews mow over 160 acres weekly throughout 40+ weeks of the year and these implement drive belt covers last at least two years before requiring replacement.
Takes 10 minutes per machine to initially mount and no more bent discharge chutes.

willietd2
01-09-2007, 01:17 AM
lol you guys sure jump to the defencive side real quick.. is that how you react to your homeowners as well? lol I dont care what you use it for.. If you can't keep the clippingS out of the beds without something like that then you obviously got trained by someone who doesnt know jack sh it because I never have a problem with clippings in beds.. EVER! Some of you are really pathetic and I can see why so many people in this industry are confused... lol what a joke...
NO WONDER I GET SO MUCH WORK EVERY YEAR.. PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE MY COMPETITION.. LOL

you might try turning your blades on. hahahaha

Envy Lawn Service
01-09-2007, 02:19 AM

Well Mean Green, I'm not in the arguement here... so you asked a question and indicated later in the thread you would like an answer... so I will give you one.

1) These things allow you to close off and block your discharge flow 'at will'
2) There is something to be said for that option and offers you a lot of control
3) Since you have this control, you don't have to let the landscape rule your mowing pattern
4) There is something to be said for not having to go out of your way with your patterns.
5) There is also something to be said for the time and aggrivation saved

Frankly, I think you might want to just consider how much time you waste doing 'avoidance passes' to keep stuff out of the beds and how many square feet of 'allready cut' grass you pass over in a given lawn.

Also, if you are in this business long enough and get enough lawns, you'll eventually enounter one with a combination of landscaping/hardscaping/obstacles/structures where it is impossible to mow side discharge without spraying something. And the aggrivation and cleanup time involved.

Myself, I'm one of the far-out picky guys and I have used extremely few mowers that can meet my 'finished appearance' expectations in plain-jane side discharge configureation. Since this is the case, I have ran dedicated mulching mowers so long now that I hate side discharging with a CAPABLE machine, due to the fact clippings are flying 10-15 feet out the side of the deck. I haven't had to be concerned with this for so long, there's a big exclaimation point on this for me.

To be brutally honest, the best side discharge machine I have ever used can certainly cut at a faster ground speed in side discharge mode. But I find that I can't mow many tightly/highly landscaped properties nearly as fast start-to-finish while side discharging. I can finish faster with the mower setup dedicated to mulching. The reason being is that I end up spending as much time trying to avoid throwing clippings where I don't want them as I do cutting the whole property.

It's a lot bigger time waster than you think.

An OCDC gives you choices and saves you time. If you don't have the proper equipment for mulching, an OCDC added to a side discharge mower gives you a measure of control over your discharge. And if you are like me and do have the right equipment for mulching, it allows you to set up one machine for side discharge that you can used to take advantage of the additional ground speed where you can.

Like for instance, if you have a large smooth estate lawn with the home sitting inside say 3/4 acre of tightly landscaped decorative lawn.... and about 2 acres of wide open surrounding turf between that area and the lake/woods/fence/whatever...... well then you can go full-out letting it fly on the 2 acres (gaining time) and navigate the other 3/4 acre of turf and landscape with the use of the OCDC... again saving time because you don't have to drive back to the trailer and take time to swap out for the mulching or bagging machine.

Versitility and production.

Mean Green Lawns
01-09-2007, 02:27 AM
preciate that Envy.. it makes a lot of sense now... I'll probably pick one up. lol

naturescape
01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
preciate that Envy.. it makes a lot of sense now... I'll probably pick one up. lol

So now you're turned 180 degrees from your original thought, which was expressed so vehemently!? (Look it up LOL) What are you thinking............?

But if you get an OCDC, don't expect to mulch with it. That ain't gonna happen on ANY mower. It's only for a small run when you need to avoid getting clippings into beds.

Since you're so much better than us and NEVER have this problem, you DON'T need an OCDC. Congratulations!

fiveoboy01
01-09-2007, 11:13 AM
No ****, talk about your serious backpedaling.

I don't even care. I'm not going to have a battle of wits... well you know the rest of it:laugh:

Big Bad Bob
01-09-2007, 11:41 PM

do you bag your lawns?

Jeds_Lawn_Care
03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
If you want to mulch.... buy the factory mulch kit for your mowers.
This will provide the results you want, save you money and frustration.
You have to do more than block the discharge off to mulch.

If you want something to flip closed to avoid slinging clippings into a tree ring or something... then these covers are fine. Shut them a second while you pass by, then flip back open...

what about a vulcher?

http://www.vulcher.com

Envy Lawn Service
03-27-2007, 12:03 AM
what about a vulcher?

http://www.vulcher.com

Those have been around a while... but I have no idea about them.

traman
03-27-2007, 12:35 AM
punch up ocdc on e-bay ,i picked up an ez chute brand for only $120.00 but that was in early 06. works great

dave k
03-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi Envy and other people that have manufacturing talents. I have been thinking of getting a Z this year but have opted for a 48" SD deck for my Walker, do any of you know how I can make or buy a OCDC for it? I sure do need one since I have beds about 4' apart on some lawns. any help is greatly appreciated!
So far the deck has done OK, it doesn't throw out grass that far but seems to cut OK so far, although the Bermuda is just now getting green. Maybe next year I can afford a Z but had to go this route, got the deck for $1200.00 it was $1600.00 but they said it was a demo model, it was never used at all, so I think I got a good deal.
Thanks again
Dave