PDA

View Full Version : Stihl SH85 or BG85?

sulston
01-07-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm looking to get a new handheld blower and I can't decide between the SH85 and the BG85. I realize they're basically the same unit except for the shredder/vac feature on the SH but I'm just wondering if this feature is any good or just a waste of money? I hate useless features on things so I'd rather just get the BG if this is the case. I'd appreciate any advice on this especially from those who have the SH85 and have used the shredder/vac. Thanks a lot.

MuleCutter
01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
yea... i think you're better off with the BG instead of the SH. its not that powerful and gets jammed pretty easy if you happen to suck up a twig or stick. i dont know if you own a lawn service but if you do i'd go with the BG 85 and a little wonder blower/vac or a billygoat blower/vac. the SH would be ok if you are just a homeowner that likes to keep your yard free of leaves.

Envy Lawn Service
01-07-2007, 08:34 PM
I dunno... I wonder about people sometimes....

I don't buy handhelds without the vac feature... period.
No, the vacs are not leaf loaders or branch chippers... but they are handy for what the will do.

So I don't know rather to think people expect outreagously too much, or if they are just inexperienced, or have never done any commercial work or work along public roads.

I say go with the SH85 because it is handy for what it will do...
Just don't expect it to suck up and chip branches... LOL.

mow & snow
01-07-2007, 08:45 PM
sulston - I have 2 BG85 blowers. Imo it's a great handheld unit. I've had mine for 2 seasons with no problems. But I've never tried the SH85.

Envy Lawn Service
01-07-2007, 08:53 PM
The SH is the same blower.

It just has the setup for the vac option.

Jason Rose
01-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I have the SH85 too, I just HAD to have that leaf vac... Yes it's SLOW but it's not made for production work, it also does NOT like mulch and small rocks. If you have tight areas that get leaves in them, bottom of stair wells and window wells, around stuff on the patio, places you can't readily blow them out, then it's very handy! Just my $.02

Just Mow
01-07-2007, 11:51 PM
the difference is the SH has teeth for mulching and a rubberized liner inside the housing so that debris will be less likely to stick and shoot out when used as a blower. As far as it's use. I used it to clean up after a buddy that was doing chainsaw carvings and I was grinding up some pretty big chunks. i cannot believe that the unit held together after I was through. Very impressive unit.
TO sum it up.
If you are never going to use the vac then get the BG.