PDA

View Full Version : Stihl fs 80r

zak406
01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey guys I bought a stihl fs80r about three weeks ago and now that i look back I wish I would have bought something that could take and attachment (like the pole saw attachment). I have read that i can swap my chain drive for the fs 85 drive shaft. Is this possible and if so where can I get a fs 85 drive shaft.

Thanks
Zach

grass_cuttin_fool
01-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Ive been told you can do this but I never have. Not to be a smarty tail.....but your local stihl dealer shouold be able to get you the parts

wayne

zak406
01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
thanks for the reponse. yeah i thought about going to my dealer but i thought there may be a chepaer place to purchase it from (if you can purchase it at all)

grass_cuttin_fool
01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I havent ever seen an after market shaft. I cant remember the price but I dont think it was that much. Im afraid to say because my memory isnt that good

wayne

zak406
01-08-2007, 12:35 AM
ok thanks for the answer.

carcrz
01-08-2007, 12:40 AM
I haven't really seen many Stihl parts online.

Just Mow
01-08-2007, 12:46 AM
you can swap the shaft to the solid stainless steel shaft. Just go by your dealer and purchase one and swap it out.

zak406
01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
thank you for your responses. I called and its like 43 dollars so i think i will go ahead and order it.

HenryB
01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
The cable will hold up fine. My buddy has been using the fs 100rx with attatchments for a while w/ no problems at all. Yes I know what the manual says .

MuleCutter
01-08-2007, 08:28 PM
not sure if you remember the fs85 but the only difference between that and the fs80 was the shaft... the 85 had the solid shaft. so yes you can changed the cable to the shaft which is what i'd recommend. you dont want to take a chance on messing up the cable using the saw attachment. you might even want to check ebay for the shaft... you can sometimes find a good used shaft on there. or you can see if your dealer has a trimmer with a blown engine but still has a good shaft on it.

Stillwater
01-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I have seen shafts on ebay new for a buy now of 20.00 shipping was 6.00 I think, do a search, your stihl dealer may or may not give you a hard time when you tell him what you want to do so ebay is a great way to avoid the hassle....

clay duncan
01-08-2007, 09:48 PM
i bought a fs80r and put my solid shaft out of my old fs85 in the place of the cable drive. just remove the end of the weedeater and pull the shaft right out of the bottom. less than five minutes and your done.....

Envy Lawn Service
01-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes... the difference between the FS80 and FS85 (R.I.P.) was the driveshaft.

Cable on the 80... solid steel shaft on the 85.

I would NOT recommend trying to run attachments with the 80.

The conversion could be made to the steel driveshaft. Unfortunately, I don't believe you will ever find an aftermarket one. They just don't go out... no aftermarket demand... and no upgrade demand because most people buy the solid drive shaft right off the bat for running attachments.

So you would very likely have to purchase one through Stihl.
Either that or find a salvage one off a dead FS85.

My advice is that if you can't find a salvage one, just trade the FS80 on what you need (or return it prior to 30 days?) and get what you need. Either that or keep the FS80 for string trimming and buy yourself one of those Split-Boom setups with the attachments you want.

I can tell you first hand, I had a split boom with zero shaft issues before going to Stihl stuff. I bought FS85R trimmers, thinking I would use gearhead attachments on them. To be honest, in all honestly it is just one of those nice options to have is all.

I didn't use it in the capacity I did the split boom.
Split Booms take 2 seconds to swap tools.

Gearheads... well, you gotta head to the toolbox to get the Stihl wrench.
Then you gotta unbolt the gearhead and swap them out.
Not all that great for use as a multi-tool.

But a nice option to have if you have several Stihls... like a few FS85's, a few FC85's, a few FC80's... etc.

You can for instance use a few FS85's trimmers, a few for for weeds/brush or sawing and the FC85's for edging. If say an FS85 trimmer craps out in the field, in minutes you can swap it's trimmer gearhead to an FS85 you are not using... like the saw or tiller or whatever... and you are back trimming. Same thing if an edger goes down, or the saw won't start... helps keep you in action and save you trips over minor things like cracked primer bulbs, ect...

The swappable gearheads are also very useful for rotating/cycling engines around. Like say you use a trimmer the most, and that engine has seen thousands of hours. Swap gearheads with something hardly used, like the tiller or power broom... and retire the older engine to rare-use duty...

Envy Lawn Service
01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
i bought a fs80r and put my solid shaft out of my old fs85 in the place of the cable drive. just remove the end of the weedeater and pull the shaft right out of the bottom. less than five minutes and your done.....

Did you swap the internal cable out for the shaft or the entire tube?

I love the 80/85 powerplant and I have an old 85 with a sheared flywheel key.
I considered doing what you did since the 85 is no more.

I ended up just storing it for parts and replacing it with a RedMax. I figured I would have to swap the whole tube, or the just the internals would be a lot of work.

Looks like I might have been wrong.

clay duncan
01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Did you swap the internal cable out for the shaft or the entire tube?

I love the 80/85 powerplant and I have an old 85 with a sheared flywheel key.
I considered doing what you did since the 85 is no more.

I ended up just storing it for parts and replacing it with a RedMax. I figured I would have to swap the whole tube, or the just the internals would be a lot of work.

Looks like I might have been wrong.

just the internal cable swapped out for the solid shaft. real easy, just took a few min. to do. i am going to buy another and do the same.

HenryB
01-08-2007, 11:13 PM
The fs80and fs100rx will take the attatchments. A friend has been running the hedger on his 80's since they came out no problems.:hammerhead: Unless you want to buy a shaft for some reason?

zak406
01-09-2007, 12:20 AM
hey thanks for all the responses yes ive tried ebay nothing right now but eventually ther will be somthing on ebay. my dealer said 43 bucks for the shaft.

S man
02-25-2007, 11:20 PM
thank you for your responses. I called and its like 43 dollars so i think i will go ahead and order it.

Crap. That's what I'm doing with my fs80r when I get it. Than I can use my kombi gearboxes on it.:)

MikeLT1Z28
02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
i have used the pole trimmer attachment on my fs80 with no trouble but for heavy use, probably want the shaft instead.