PDA

View Full Version : A cheap blade sharping system?

Willofalltrades
01-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Would you believe Ballard has a cheap effective blade sharpening system? If any of you guys have one, lets here your opinions and how well it did on your blades.

http://www.ballard-inc.com/bladeassist.htm

Willofalltrades
01-08-2007, 06:38 PM
With this bench grinder:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6510

grassnazi1
01-08-2007, 06:38 PM
just saw this myself and would love to hear a little user feedback on it from anyone! Might just have to bite the bullet and be the first to blow 70 bucks!

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
01-08-2007, 06:41 PM
$70 for a piece of sheet metal and a adjustable guide is hardly what I would call cheap. You still need to buy a grinder anyway. Save your $70 and put it towards a blade grinder.

Willofalltrades
01-08-2007, 10:08 PM
$70 for this fabricated bracket and $110 for a 2 hp bench grinder. Thats a $180 blade sharpener. Compared to the $300 one at www.northerntool.com

In my thread "true cost to own my LCO" It was stated that I should sharpen my own blades to save money... Well here I can do it for cheap and It has to be a better job than a angle grinder. Were only talken 10-20 blades a week so i don't know If I can really justify an expensive one.

lawnpro724
01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I've been using my bench grinder without a guide ever since I started and it works fine for me.

2menandamower
01-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Me too Lawnpro!!!!!!!

Willofalltrades
01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I've been using my bench grinder without a guide ever since I started and it works fine for me.

Just hold it on a angle, Is there some kind of guide? Blades razer sharp? How well does it stack up to a angle grinder.

Also, would you say the Lower the RPM of the bench grinder the better? I saw a 2hp bench grinder running at like 1750 (?) rpm I believe. A 1/2 hp bench grinder was running 3500 (?) rpm and up. Thats a big difference.

DLCS
01-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Just hold it on a angle, Is there some kind of guide? Blades razer sharp? How well does it stack up to a angle grinder.

Also, would you say the Lower the RPM of the bench grinder the better? I saw a 2hp bench grinder running at like 1750 (?) rpm I believe. A 1/2 hp bench grinder was running 3500 (?) rpm and up. Thats a big difference.

Bigger motors don't need to turn as many rpms cause you run larger cutting wheels.

Willofalltrades
01-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Bigger motors don't need to turn as many rpms cause you run larger cutting wheels.

Yea, but does this translate to a lower temp on the blades surface because of less friction (which makes the blade stronger and more resistent to dull?). With a dad in tool and die I should know this stuff but he's sleeping, guess I'll ask you people.

txgrassguy
01-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Well, I used to sharpen my blades with a right angle die grinder. Took forever.
Tried a bench grinder with a mount similar to the one shown. Yep, that's right.
For a bit, it was okay - definately better than a die grinder.
Finally bought a used Foley United 400 and have used it for four years now.
Paid $100 for it and got two wheels in the purchase - one lasts me about six months now.
A particular concern with off-shore made grinders is the actual torque the motors have. It is very easy to "stall" a grinding wheel on the leading edge of a rotary blade causing a cup or dish to be cut into the blade because the motor lacks the torque for uniform grinding.
I am up-grading to a Mag-Na-Matic grinder and Balancer soon.
With thirty blades to sharpen and balance 2X weekly, everything else takes too much time.

Richard Martin
01-09-2007, 03:24 AM
It's 2 pieces of flat steel with a single bend. Find your friendly neighborhood welder guy and have him make you one for $25.

$70.. Sheesh.

lawnMaster5000
01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Is the balde drawn backwards here?
http://www.magna-matic.com/sharpeners/mag9000/difference.html

lawnpro724
01-09-2007, 11:26 AM

I just hold it on angle and my goal is not for a razor thin blade just a good cutting edge at a steep angle. If you have a razer thin blade thats real sharp that would be good for shaving but not much good for mowing since the blade would chip for sure. It takes practice but I have been doing it this way for 17yrs so getting pretty good at it. I also like the low rpm of the bench grinder its more forgiving when your first learning.

a&jservices
01-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I lock my blades in a vise and use an air grinder, use to use a bench grinder, but was going through grinding wheels to quickly. If you have a steady hand and good eye there is no need to waste money on a blede guide.