PDA

View Full Version : ? about an open landscape trailer

ltw77
01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
I have a 5x12 open trailer. The floor is wood and a couple of the planks are starting to rot. The previous owner only painted the topside of the wood and left it outside 24/7. I am gearing up for the coming year and want to start fresh and replace all the wood and paint both sides etc. One problem...the metal frame is boxed in, front and rear, around the wood. I am not a welder so I can either fab something with bolts and cut the welds on the rear or I was thinking I could pull the planks out, as is, and cut 45's in the new planks and re-mount them in the frame. 45's together, on top of each other, on top of a cross member towards the rear(less weight) and screw them together. I also considered cutting the welds on the rear, putting the new planks in, and taking it to a trailer shop and have them re-weld the rear frame that I cut. Any ideas or opinions would be great! Thanks!!

bowhunter74
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Hope this helps, I am a welder:weightlifter: lol. On the rear of the trailer floor will be a strip of flat steel welded down making it look boxed, cut the welds and remove this strip, replace your wood and find someone to weld it back on or you could bolt it on through the strip, wood and the angle iron on the under side. It would be better to weld it and alot more people have welders than you think.

shortgut
01-09-2007, 01:03 AM
when you repalce the floor besure and get the treated stuff and probably would not hurt to put a coat of THOMPSONS water seal and then paint it Good luck with yopur project

ltw77
01-09-2007, 02:02 AM
sweet!! thanks guys. I will ask around my day job and see if I can find someone who can weld it back.

Lawn 'N' Order Landscape
01-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Just replaced my boards this past weekend. I cut the welds off the bar in the fornt of the trailer that holds the planks in. Replaced with treated lumber then welded the bar back on. You should be able to find someone with a welder to do this for you.

Utility Dave
04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
go to your local lawn mower shop they can probaly cut the welds for you and weld it back

mjlcare
04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
i have replaced the boards on mine before and i can weld but the trailer just bolts going throught the front angle iron holding the wood down through into the angle under the wood

Digdug
04-06-2008, 04:42 PM
You have a 12' trailer. If your using less than 2" thick lumber why not bow the boards in the middle with a crowbar during installation.

vaham
04-07-2008, 02:32 AM
My 5 x 10 had "captured" decking also- 1 1/2" both front and rear. I cut the treated 2x8" 1 1/2" short of the OAL, shoved them forward until they dropped down in the slot, then drove a flat or "wonder bar" into them and pried them back 3/4 of an inch, sliding under the rear angle by 3/4". Requires a little muscle, but no cutting and welding needed. I have had this trailer for 20 years, and this (4 yrs ago) is the second deck I have put on it..