PDA

View Full Version : Pulling trailer with Air over Hydraulic brakes with 1ton?

mow king
01-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I have a 05 F350 and I found a trailer for sale locally (25ft gooseneck equipment trailer). that is equipped with air over hydraulic brakes.

If I were to buy this trailer, what would I need to add to my truck to operate the brakes? How much would it cost roughly?

Would it be cheaper/easier to convert the trailer to electric brakes?

Thanks!

CLARK LAWN
01-09-2007, 03:45 PM
you would be much better off converting the trailer over to electric brakes. to put air in the truck would require a compressor,governor,wet tank, supply tank,gauge in cab plus all the lines and everything. it would be a nightmare!!!

mow king
01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
you would be much better off converting the trailer over to electric brakes. to put air in the truck would require a compressor,governor,wet tank, supply tank,gauge in cab plus all the lines and everything. it would be a nightmare!!!

How much would it cost to convert?

lawnmaniac883
01-09-2007, 04:48 PM
5k is a rough estimate ...

mow king
01-09-2007, 05:37 PM
5k is a rough estimate ...

$5k to convert the brakes?

The whole trailer is like $7000 new.

Gravel Rat
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
You are better off with vacuum over hydraulic you would need to install a vacuum pump on the truck.

There are kits out there that convert the air hyraulic booster to electric hydraulic or like I mention vacuum hydraulic.

lawnmaniac883
01-09-2007, 08:08 PM
$5k to convert the brakes?

The whole trailer is like $7000 new.

To set up the truck for air brakes...just buy a different trailer there is no advantage of having air over hydraulic anyway

mow king
01-09-2007, 09:22 PM
To set up the truck for air brakes...just buy a different trailer there is no advantage of having air over hydraulic anyway

How about to convert it to electric brakes?

I can get a real good price on the trailer.

hosejockey2002
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
What is the GVWR on the trailer? If it's set up for air it's probably way too heavy for an F350 to pull effectively.

mow king
01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
20k gvw
6k empty

Gravel Rat
01-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Air over hydraulic is common on trailers with 16" wheels or 17.5 wheels. The air on the trailer is pretty much a air operated push rod that pushes the master cylinder on the trailer which applies the brakes. It is a fairly strong set up because you can apply allot of pressure which inturns creates allot of hydraulic pressure. The weak link is the wheel cylinders they will blow before anything else does.

Nothing is as strong as full air and electic brakes are the worst system you can have.

rutwad
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Plus you have to get a class A CDL with air brake endorsement.

Scag48
01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Having a 1 ton truck with air tanks, compressors, air dryer, lines, guages, what a PITA. By the time you spend a ton of money converting your truck to handle the air brakes on the trailer, you could have bought a brand new trailer with std. electric brakes in the same capacity range and not have messed with the truck. Plus, when you go to sell the truck, eventually, all that cash you dropped into getting the associated necessities for air on the truck is worth absolutely nothing, nobody would even care that the truck was converted to handle air brakes and chances are some would pass the truck up entirely. Plus, you'd have to get a CDL with air brake endorsement, as mentioned.