PDA

View Full Version : Weak electronic trailer brakes

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I had a brake controller installed on my Dodge today. I decided to wire the trailer side 7 post harness myself. Trailer lights function properly... But the brakes are very weak. I can fully engage the brake controller and only feel the slightest hint of brakes being back there. The two wires that came up from the brakes were both wired to the harness. Do you think it could be a weak ground that needs to be grounded to the trailer instead of the harness?

LindblomRJ
01-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Is the controller adjusted properly? About the the condition of the breaks. Is there current to the magnets? If so how about the condition of the magnets?

Jason Rose
01-10-2007, 12:03 AM
There's a TON of variables to making trailer brakes work properly. If everything is connected properly and we can take that out of the equation then are the trailer brakes NEW? I re-did mont this fall front to back, including a new controler. I had a bunch of problems until I got 15 to 20 miles on them. Even then the brakes were'nt "braking" at the max. After some more time they started grabbing good and they have worked fine ever since. Just a thought...