PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Z vs. Scag Wildcat

bluetick
01-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Gentlemen

Iím needing opinions on 60Ē mowers. Two mowers that Iím looking over are a new 27hp Kohler powered Scag Wildcat and a demo Hustler Z with a 23hp Kawasaki. My first question is what do yaíll think of the Scag Wildcat? How do you think it would compare to a Hustler Z. One thing that concerns me on the Wildcat is how much wider the deck is than the track. Will this cause excessive scalping?

Second question. How much will I give up in performance on a 60"er if I were cheap and went with a lower horsepower model? Say a 23hp vs. a 27hp. Keep in mind I will want to mulch and bag with this mower.

I guess I should let yaíll know that I have a 42Ē Hustler Fast Track now and have been very pleased with its performance and durability. My local dealer sells both Scag and Hustler. Opinions on Scag vs. Hustler vacuum and catcher systems would be helpful also.

Thanks in advance for any help offered and let me say thanks to all for what seems to be a great web site.

God Bless

Shawn

greengiant9963
01-09-2007, 11:40 PM
If you are going to bag or mulch the 23 horse is underpowered for a 60 inch deck.

Prestige-Lawncare
01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
If it's the same dealer .. what does he suggest?

Prestige-Lawncare
01-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Oh ... and I wouldn't skimp on power either.

stevo22
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
i would agree on the 23 being a little underpowered...i have the hustler 27/60 and cutting thick zoysia and bermuda will slow the motor if you get off of your 7 day schedule...i only mulch...mulch kit works great...best blades i have found is the flat fusion's...i swap between those and the gator mulchers and the fusions outperform the mulchers...if you get the 27/60 make sure to get the blow out baffle...you will not be able to mulch w/o it...way too much blow out...down right nasty...would love to have a bacvac but have not been able to drop the $$$ on it yet...

bluetick
01-10-2007, 12:16 AM
If it's the same dealer .. what does he suggest?

No , actually itís a dealer in Mississippi that has the particular Hustler Iím talking about. That kinda is a mark against that particular mower anyway. And with two opinions on 23hp not being enough power, thatís strike two. My local dealer has a Super Z with a 27hp Kohler and the said Wildcat. This is also the dealer I bought my fast track from and he has been a great asset. I donít know if I can spend the kind of money for a Super Z though. Over a grand difference from the Wildcat. Also we have not got down to the nut cut'in on price, but we are talking around $7,000 on the Wildcat and over $8,000 on the Super Z. The guy in Mississippi said they sell the 23 hp Z for around $7,000 but could'nt give a demo price today because the owner was not there. It will have to be a real good deal for me to bite.

I guess another question I have is on all the hype from the manufactures over speed. How much can you really do with a mower that goes 15mph vs. one that only goes say 10mph.

greengiant9963
01-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Seven thousand sounds like a great price for a new scag wildcat.

stevo22
01-10-2007, 08:17 AM
No , actually itís a dealer in Mississippi that has the particular Hustler Iím talking about. That kinda is a mark against that particular mower anyway. And with two opinions on 23hp not being enough power, thatís strike two. My local dealer has a Super Z with a 27hp Kohler and the said Wildcat. This is also the dealer I bought my fast track from and he has been a great asset. I donít know if I can spend the kind of money for a Super Z though. Over a grand difference from the Wildcat. Also we have not got down to the nut cut'in on price, but we are talking around $7,000 on the Wildcat and over $8,000 on the Super Z. The guy in Mississippi said they sell the 23 hp Z for around $7,000 but could'nt give a demo price today because the owner was not there. It will have to be a real good deal for me to bite.

I guess another question I have is on all the hype from the manufactures over speed. How much can you really do with a mower that goes 15mph vs. one that only goes say 10mph.

if i were spending 7000 on a mower, i would not let another 1000 stop me from buying the better mower...i pesonally think the hustler is awesome...i paid 8800 out the door, with the suspension seat, mulch kit was thrown in...we do have a scag dealer here but i never really thought about it too much..since your dealer carries both that will be the decison you will have to make...how about asking to demo both once the grass gets gowing and then make your decison...i will tell you that i use the 15mph often...cutting, no...transport yes...

cutbetterthanyou
01-10-2007, 02:02 PM
if used is a option i have a scag turf tiger with a bagger on it.25 kolar, 60 inch deck i think 1200-1300 hrs i can look.
i was planning on putting it for sale this spring, but if you want it i'll sell it now.

Gautreaux's LNG
01-12-2007, 02:23 PM
As a dealer who sell both brands......................

If you're a homeowner, buy the Hustler, you'll save money and get a GREAT machine.

If you're a commercial cutter, buy the Wildcat, the extra horsepower will pay off in the long run for commercial use.

Shane
Gautreaux's Lawn & Garden

GElawn
01-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Talking about mowers, there are alot of John Deere, Exmark, Toro, Hustler, I'm new to the biz and I have been doing alot of research here in Michigan. I have found Gravely to be the best in price for what you get 25 hp. 52"deck 7 gauge thick and all the standard options that come with a commercial mower. So my question is how do you guys see Gravely comercial mowers in this industry?

GElawn
01-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm new to the mowing industry. I hear alot about John Deere, Exmark, Toro, Hustler, but not alot on Gravely. I'm starting a bussiness in western Michigan, I have two accounts that are 2 & 3 acres large. Gravely has a 25 hp. 52" 7 gauge deck, Heavy duty spindals and the standard options these other bigger name brands have. Do you have any opions, good or bad about Gravely commercial mowers?

Prestige-Lawncare
01-13-2007, 01:19 PM
As a dealer who sell both brands......................

If you're a homeowner, buy the Hustler, you'll save money and get a GREAT machine.

If you're a commercial cutter, buy the Wildcat, the extra horsepower will pay off in the long run for commercial use.

Shane
Gautreaux's Lawn & Garden

Let me get this right ...

You are a dealer ... and you are saying that Hustler is a homeowner mower? Also ... are your Hustler mowers that much lower in price then the Scag's you sell?