PDA

View Full Version : Zipper Mowers?

Stinky Pete
01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
My dealer is considering carrying these mowers for an out front. http://www.zippermowers.com/ I'm looking into getting one (an outfront mower not neccesarily this brand) as some of my accounts have trees and brush that I can't get under with my Exmark Lazer. Who runs out-fronts and what do you recommend?

Any input is appreciated.

Lugnut
01-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Thats all we use at golf courses for mowing rough. I would recommend that you take a look at Toro 325Ds or their newer models with independent 21 inch decks that all float. John Deere also makes some great versions of this mower but are often more expensive

Mowingman
01-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Those are also sold under the name "Marty J". Strictly a homeowner machine.
If you want a commercial front-deck machine, Grasshopper is by far the leader in the field. They have many models over a wide price range to choose from. The Toro's are great machines, but you will have to spend close to $20,000 to get one. Exmark just entered the market with one, and Encore has a couple of models. No one has the experience that Grasshopper has though.

Groh's Mows
01-11-2007, 06:43 AM
The Zipper is very similar to the Grazer mower. I have mowed with both on some larger proreties in the past. The up side is both are very solidly built machines as far as the frames and decks and leave a nice cut(no stripes). Once you get familar with the controls, the between the legs levers are actually fairly comfortable and let you trim to very close tolerances with the front and trim sides of the deck. But the hydros are not up to commercial use and have no remote tank for the hydraulic fluid. Speed was quite a bit slower than even a Walker, which many consider slow. They also have a very large "footprint" on your trailer relative to the deck size and the tail wheel is out back far enough you have to be careful of it on tight turns.

Pumper
01-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Zipper and Marty J are two very different machines. Zipper still builds the home owner model but they also have a new model that is strictly commercial. It has pumps and wheel motors and Kohler engines. It is available with either a 61" or 74" deck. It is a very big machine, I think it weighs in at around 1700 lbs. The original machine you sat on like a motorcycle where you straddled the engine. The new machine has a regular seat.

lawnpro724
01-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't know about that front wheel assembly, doesn't look like it will hold up to commercial use. Stick with proven commerial mowers you will be better off.