PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice!!

CleanCut5878
01-10-2007, 08:12 PM
We have an account which is town homes, our main account 75 units. Of these 75 units maybe half have glass doors in front of their front doors. We have busted out 4 glass doors weed eating around their doors and drive ways. Should we tell them that we will no longer weed eat around the front of their homes if they have glass doors, but we will mow with the lawn mower as close to their house as possible. This is starting to cut into the bottom line. Any Advice would be use full.

JB1
01-10-2007, 08:40 PM
personally i think someone needs to learn how to use a string trimmer or someone needs fired.

carcrz
01-10-2007, 09:12 PM
personally i think someone needs to learn how to use a string trimmer or someone needs fired.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Here's some things to try: Try slowing down the string speed so it doesn't catch as much. Put a good edge w/ an edger so there isn't as much trimming to do along the front sidewalk. Make sure you are only trimming the same height as grass that was already cut; that way you aren't digging in at all.

MuleCutter
01-10-2007, 09:42 PM

i think everyone could agree on this one:hammerhead:

p.s. - there is no way to avoid throwing rocks 100% of the time. it's still very possible to do it if your mower has a mulch kit on it.... trust me i found this out first hand:clapping:

cantoo
01-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Another question. Why is there so many rocks around the doors? The guys need some training or some incentive not to break them. Put $100 (whatever)in a pot the first one to break it and the other guy gets the money.
Do you have the guards on the trimmers?

SouthernFried
01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
For every Window broken, the price comes out of the crews checks. You'd be amazed how many problems you can solve, by making the crew members accountable.

All those "unavoidable" incidents...suddenly start being avoided.

It's like magic.

If you don't know who did it, hold them all accountable. You'll soon found out who did it.

ITL
01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
The above posts seem like the first steps. We run the line trimmers as slow as possible in light trimming most times to lesson the energy if we pick something up. A equipment option you could try is a reciprocator trimmer. Redmax has them (SGCZ 2500 Reciprocator). The other brands could have them as well but I have not seen them. They cut with a scissor action and drop the clippings versus throwing them. Think of them as a round hedge trimmer head on a line trimmer. I have not used them so make sure you demo first to see if they would work in your situation. IIRC they were more expensive then a similar line trimmer but likely less expensive then glass replacement if they work for your team.

Wayne

fiveoboy01
01-11-2007, 12:46 AM
I'd think that using a trimmer correctly would solve this, and like was already mentioned, as small a throttle setting that will still allow the string to trim effectively.

I trim along a lot of rock beds, and throw very few rocks. I try to go from right to left whenever possible(with a CCW string rotation) so that if I do pick up a stone, it flies away from the bed into the grass.

Fantasy Lawns
01-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Is it possible to spray a bead of round up along these areas .....to cut down on weed eating ??

JKOOPERS
01-11-2007, 03:02 AM
spray a growth regulator on the problem areas.

The Ranger
01-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Don't whip down to the dirt and you won't throw as many stones. Also slow the trimmer throttle down.

newbomb
01-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I broke one rear window in a Jeep and a helper broke one front door glass in 17 years. It does happen but once is enough. I alway trim with head rotating away from the house unless a car is parked in the way. A storm door glass is about $65 a piece of auto glass is at least $300.

PS On the spine of the Storm door (hinge side) is the manufacture and serial number of the door including an Alpha character (usually the first character) which indicates color A = almond etc. There is also an 800 phone number you can call and get the part number for replacement parts. Take the part # to Home depot and order the parts.

Ed Ryder
01-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Another possibility is to take an extra step, where a weedwacker's assistant shields the glass with like a 4 x 6 foot piece of plywood, or something like that. As the triming is done near the glass, the assistant repositions the shield. This team could do all the high risk trimming first, then the assistant puts the shield away and they both resume normal work.

I understand the problem. You must be extremely careful around doors like that and go slow. With a shield, your guys could just blast away at normal speed.

Willofalltrades
01-11-2007, 11:18 AM
I would offer my advice but everybody pretty much nailed it on the head.

ed2hess
01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
spray a growth regulator on the problem areas.

We started using Lesco trim at the end of last year and look forward to using it a lot of places. We mainly want to use it on holding ponds where we have to weed eat but this looks like a place to use it.

dforbes
01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
first of all I agree that proper trimming should solve the problem but since the manager should be aware there is a problem why not sell him on the idea of landscaping the fronts to fix the problem. nice little landscaping job for you, increases the looks and values of the property, fixes the problem and gives you extra income each year trimming shrubs and mulching. win win situation

Shades of Green LService
01-11-2007, 09:57 PM
When your wacking around that area tilt the side closest to you up and all the SH&$ will go the opposite way. Works for me.

Mean Green Lawns
01-12-2007, 12:22 AM
I'd make the guys pay for everything they break and then fire the guys who did it. next I'd hire and train someone how to stay out of the rocks (like a five year old) and pay them less untill they prove themselves to have half a brain.. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN and it does because people get careless and don't pay attention. Guys like that are NOT worth keeping in my eyes and become a liability more than an asset.