PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh,NC Irrigation

Rainman7
01-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Just got back from visiting some areas in and around Cary,NC. I was with a friend who is looking to build small developments in the area.
I happen to see a sprinkler system going in while driving through one development. That is some nasty looking clay you guys have down there. The system was being trenched in with a walk behind Ditch Witch. Everything looked pretty much the same as far as poly,heads,clocks,ect... The only thing different was the backflow. What's with the dcv 2' off the ground in the front lawns? Even better, some developments use those fake rock box covers to hide them. That looks much better:laugh:
I am curious about a couple of things.
Is it code to put the dcv that high, or could it be in a valve box?
The clay didn't look that bad, could you plow through it?
How deep are the water mains there?and what are they made out of?

-Rainman

Flow Control
01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Did you see Hunter's dist. center?

Dirty Water
01-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Just got back from visiting some areas in and around Cary,NC. I was with a friend who is looking to build small developments in the area.
I happen to see a sprinkler system going in while driving through one development. That is some nasty looking clay you guys have down there. The system was being trenched in with a walk behind Ditch Witch. Everything looked pretty much the same as far as poly,heads,clocks,ect... The only thing different was the backflow. What's with the dcv 2' off the ground in the front lawns? Even better, some developments use those fake rock box covers to hide them. That looks much better:laugh:
I am curious about a couple of things.
Is it code to put the dcv that high, or could it be in a valve box?
The clay didn't look that bad, could you plow through it?
How deep are the water mains there?and what are they made out of?

-Rainman

Most likely it was a RPZ not a DCV.

I pulled a RPZ out of a crawlspace today because the owner wanted the backflow outside. First RPZ I've seen in my county. Everyone is DCV's out here.

He was a little bummed when I told him that if he wanted it in a valvebox he would have to buy a new backflow.

I have to say, I think digging under a footing to stub out plumbing from a crawlspace is my least favorite thing in the world. Its so much easier to just tap the line before it goes into the house, the problem with this guy is they ran the line to the backyard through the floor joists, so I had to keep some of the crawlspace plumbing intact.

SprinklerGuy
01-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I have to say, I think digging under a footing to stub out plumbing from a crawlspace is

HUH?

Why not drill through the wall...not the footing wall but the actual house wall....just above the sill plate?

Dirty Water
01-10-2007, 10:07 PM
HUH?

Why not drill through the wall...not the footing wall but the actual house wall....just above the sill plate?

Because then I'd be coming out 2' above ground. Out here, everything is buried, nobody wants to look at a backflow preventer. No PVB's, no RPZ's.

Wet_Boots
01-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Out here, everything is buried, nobody wants to look at a backflow preventer. No PVB's, no RPZ's.If they alter the code to require toxic-rated devices, you're going to have fun with that customer resistance to visible plumbing.

Rainman7
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=Dirty Water;1669625]Most likely it was a RPZ not a DCV.

No, they were dcv's. I dont remember seeing a dump port.

Rainman7
01-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Did you see Hunter's dist. center?

No, I didn't.
I did notice alot of Rainbird though.

koster_irrigation
01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
raleigh code requires an RP minimum 12" above grade in an insulated enclosure for new installs.

raleigh code also requires the RP to be placed within about 5' of the POC. although you can sometimes stretch that to put it in a bed. we try to install ours off to the sides of the yard and make a bed around the box.

Dirty Water
01-11-2007, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Dirty Water;1669625]Most likely it was a RPZ not a DCV.

No, they were dcv's. I dont remember seeing a dump port.

Some RP's, like this Watts, look a lot more like a DCV than others.

http://www.pexsupply.com/img/categoryImages/Watts%20Pressure%20Assembly.jpg

From a distance, I'd take that as a DCV, especially if your used to installing Febco's:

http://www.cedarcidestore.citymax.com/i/Backflow.jpg

The only reason I could see DCV's up in the air is if the county codes were written with RP's in mind and stated that "ALL BACKFLOWS MUST BE X AMOUNT IN THE AIR", yet in other sections allow for non-toxic rated devices such as DCV's.

A lowball contractor, like you typically see in new neighborhood installs, could go with the DCV's to save a buck...though in that case, why not go even cheaper and just use 3/4" PVB's.

Flow Control
01-11-2007, 04:24 PM
raleigh code requires an RP minimum 12" above grade in an insulated enclosure for new installs.

raleigh code also requires the RP to be placed within about 5' of the POC. although you can sometimes stretch that to put it in a bed. we try to install ours off to the sides of the yard and make a bed around the box.

Bet you that is fun to follow when the basement is finished with a drywall ceiling. Koster do you have to be a lic. plumber to do the testing?

Rainman7
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=Dirty Water;1670219][QUOTE=Rainman7;1669698]

Some RP's, like this Watts, look a lot more like a DCV than others.

Yea, youre prob. right. I was just driving by slowly. They definitely did not look like any RPZ I am use to seeing. I am only use to working with larger commercial ones.

How deep are your water mains over there and what are they made of?

Dirty Water
01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
How deep are your water mains over there and what are they made of?

Here, most mains are C900 and are around 4' deep. If your referring to the service drops that run to each house from the meter, they are usually 1" NSF Poly and around 18" to 24" deep.

On occasion I'll run into a PVC or Copper line.

dallas05
01-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Bet you that is fun to follow when the basement is finished with a drywall ceiling. Koster do you have to be a lic. plumber to do the testing?

YES YOU DO HAVE TO BE LICENSED TO INSTALL A BACKFLOW

Flow Control
01-22-2007, 08:20 AM
YES YOU DO HAVE TO BE LICENSED TO INSTALL A BACKFLOW

To install & test?

koster_irrigation
01-29-2007, 07:57 AM
You have to be a licensed plumber to install a backflow device in Raleigh.
same here in wilson, 30 min away.

we follow these steps in wilson

1 Pull backflow permit 35 dollars
2 Install backflow (and rest of system)
3 Call for inspection
4 After inspections passed, call customer service for meter release
5 Hook up piping to meter
6 Test device and send report to city within 10 days

The backflow testing part is a seperate license (or certification) that you dont have to have a plumbers license to get. A 40hr class offered at some tech. community colleges is what you will have to get. & bout $800 dollars worth of testing equipment.

I have a licensed plumber pull my permits.

Here in NC you have to have minimum 2000hrs working experience with a licensed plumber to get your plumbing lic. The state will audit and pull W2's to verify you have put in the required amount of hrs before you can take the plumbing license exam. You have to get the licensed plumber you worked for to sign off for your license. (legally he has to, if you want to get your license, so i hear)