PDA

View Full Version : dodge dovetail

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Here are some pictures if my newly converted 04 Dodge 1500 mower hauler.

mike lane lawn care
01-07-2007, 06:47 PM
can you get some more shots? i'd like to see the side angle, looks great though.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Yeah, those pics were not very good. look in the Hustler forum under hustler limo or truck and trailers forum under Flatbed advice for 1500 needed.

nmez21
01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Nice rig, I like the Z! How much did it run you (if you don't mind me asking)to put the dovetail on?

PHOTO STUDIO -Yet another use for Wal-Mart parking lots:) .

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice rig, I like the Z! How much did it run you (if you don't mind me asking)to put the dovetail on?

PHOTO STUDIO -Yet another use for Wal-Mart parking lots:) .

$1600 so far(not counting suspension upgrades); but after the headache rack and underside boxes are installed, I'll be somewhere around 2g's.

ALarsh
01-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Can we get some pics of this setup in daylight? How does the truck handle the Z on the back? Would the truck be able to take that load 15,000 miles a year and be alright?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Can we get some pics of this setup in daylight? How does the truck handle the Z on the back? Would the truck be able to take that load 15,000 miles a year and be alright?

I'll get some good pics tomorrow(I just got a new charger for my camera). There are some more pics in the Huster forum under Hustler Limo...and in the truck and trailer forum under flatbed advice for 1500 needed. Keep in mind they were taken before I got a heavy duty leaf spring helper system. It handles great.I've had it up to 85 mph and it drove fine. I don't think that mileage will hurt the truck. Physically scientifically speaking, it takes less work to move one z than it does to move one z, trailer axles, trailer frame...so on. I get around 17 mpgs hauling a mower with an easy pedal- And on my fast food chain account that takes me across 7 counties and 2 states, I'm saving a lot of gas money. Not to mention the fact that my useable bed size has doubled. Plus, it's going to kick a$$ to have trimmer racks on my truck when guardrail trmming season is back in swing.

Gran Sport
01-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Are you able to drive the Z off the dovetail on to the trailer and then off? Or do you have to disconnect? I saw one where the front of the trailer was cut so he could drive up and on the truck from the trailer. Kinda cool. Love your set up

d&rlawncare
01-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Are you able to drive the Z off the dovetail on to the trailer and then off? Or do you have to disconnect? I saw one where the front of the trailer was cut so he could drive up and on the truck from the trailer. Kinda cool. Love your set up

I was thinking the same thing. I know for smaller jobs he would just take the truck. But on bigger jobs (more than one mower) can you keep the trailer hooked up and lower the dovetail to the trailer and then off load?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2007, 09:36 AM

On my 12' trailer I can load off the truck and onto the trailer..but it's kind of a pita. the truck and trailer have to be perfectly straight. This will not work with my 16' lawn care trailer because I have a box on the front of it. But really, there is no need for that...when I'm mowing big properties, all of my mowers fit on the trailer.

southtx
01-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Thats a good looking rig you got there!!! If you u dont mind me asking what did you pay for all the bed work??? What kind of extra support did you have to do to the rear end of that truck???

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Thats a good looking rig you got there!!! If you u dont mind me asking what did you pay for all the bed work??? What kind of extra support did you have to do to the rear end of that truck???

$1600 so far for the bed work. After I get the headache rack and under deck boxes installed I'll probably be at 2100. On the rear end, I installed some spring master load helpers...they work well.

Runner
01-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow, THAT is really cool! What a slick little outfit - and great organization. If I ever built something like that, I think I would out some sort of bulkhead on it as a cap protector as well, This could also give you some more space for some more "rackage" or small shelf (hedgesaw, tools, etc.). Maybe a simple but cool liftgate setup for you would be good as well. You deserve that! lol Also, for SURE, I would look into some mudflaps. I'm not sure how your state laws are, but here, it looks like the rear of your bed may exceed the height and is too open. Actually, it is all based on angle of projection, here. Anyway, it would certainly safen it up and help ensure that no one gets a windshield put out. Also, when you get new tires....please make sure you get a heavier ply for more weight. This will be much safer for you. Anyway, that really is a nice setup! That rig screams of efficiency. :)

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Wow, THAT is really cool! What a slick little outfit - and great organization. If I ever built something like that, I think I would out some sort of bulkhead on it as a cap protector as well, This could also give you some more space for some more "rackage" or small shelf (hedgesaw, tools, etc.). Maybe a simple but cool liftgate setup for you would be good as well. You deserve that! lol Also, for SURE, I would look into some mudflaps. I'm not sure how your state laws are, but here, it looks like the rear of your bed may exceed the height and is too open. Actually, it is all based on angle of projection, here. Anyway, it would certainly safen it up and help ensure that no one gets a windshield put out. Also, when you get new tires....please make sure you get a heavier ply for more weight. This will be much safer for you. Anyway, that really is a nice setup! That rig screams of efficiency. :)

Thanks... mudflaps will come soon. My fab guy is making headache racks, underside boxes, and a new rear bumper that will have pasma cut holes for my lights...She's still a work in progress. I have some 10 ply tires ordered and should have them on the truck in a week or so.

firefightergw
01-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I have some 10 ply tires ordered and should have them on the truck in a week or so.
Tires on that truck are high enough. I bet those 10 ply set you back.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2007, 02:20 PM
ps... when it comes to a liftgate, the hinged ramp system I have works very well. Not only does the open middle save weight, but it serves as an excellent workstation for changing blades, installing mulch kits and such. It's pretty nice to be able to change a set of blades in about 2 minutes with an electronic impact wrench.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Here's a couple more pics. I'll try and take some unloaded pics tomorrow that show off the bed a little better

DUSTYCEDAR
01-08-2007, 04:15 PM
nice work on that

Total.Lawn.Care
01-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Did you ever get the light issue fixed? What was it?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Did you ever get the light issue fixed? What was it?

Nope, it still dings every time I hit the brakes. I was hoping that there was a fuse I coud pull to temporarily stop it from happening. It's okay though, I'm having my new lighting system soon that will utilize the factory lights.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-08-2007, 04:53 PM
That would drive me nuts. I still think that the third wire probably just needs to be grounded to stop the dinging. I just am not sure it if need to ground to the frame, or if it needs to tap into one of the other two wires.

Hopefully you will get the other lights back on it quickly. Good Luck.

Lawnsmithcare
01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
i use a van, would you laugh at me? don't worry, i sometime laugh at me

here are my pics, looks a little less momma mini van, but still a van
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=155700&page=5&highlight=2000+astro+van

No I probly wouldn't laugh at you. When I saw the van pulling the trailer it look so funny just because of the fact that we just saw a van for sale and we looked at it and we were wondering how it would look pulling my trailer and then when we saw this set up I had to laugh.

deereman
01-08-2007, 08:37 PM
I was going to keep my nose out of this but didnt he say that he was going to Florida?

RedWolf
01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Killer bed and truck man. I really like it. If i had the time i would love to do something like that to my 76 C20 chevy. It would sure save me in some of the tight roads i go down and as for wiz kid or numb nuts or what ever his name is I say let him come to florida. I`ll kick his little tale for ya bud. I will do it for what he said about your Rig. I`m from newyork and us newyorkers dont put up with disrespect like that. Me and the kid. Now that would be a funny thing to watch.:weightlifter: :hammerhead:

MattsMowing3535
01-08-2007, 10:47 PM
The truck is preety cool. I really like the other pictures. I wish I could have something like that someday. Who knows maybe I will not for a long while though. As far as wiz kid. I read all 18 pages and have to say one thing.

"And that van has a 3.3L and it towes a full trailer load just fine, woodchips, just fine, black dirt, just fine, pop-up camper, just fine. And there are a lot of parents that buy their kids cars. Over 3/4 of the kids in my school got their cars from their parents either as gifts, or just for something to drive. There are some people that have to buy their own, which I can understand. I could care less. Don't you people ever give people a hard time about anything. Obviosly not"

You say 3/4 of the kids at your school get cars from there parents? Sounds like my school. I hate kids like that becuse there parents will buy them anything and the go to collage just to have fun. I hang with the kids that actauly HAVE jobs and work hard to buy cars. If you can afford to have an avalanch in the garage and not use it why are you mowing lawns? Sorry but that is the saddest thing I have ever heard. :hammerhead:

1MajorTom
01-10-2007, 10:34 PM
My apologies for not catching this sooner. I am sorry your thread was hi-jacked like it was. I believe i have cleaned it up. Any further comments that do not pertain to the subject at hand, will be removed.

carcrz
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
It's about time! hehehe

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-10-2007, 11:11 PM
My apologies for not catching this sooner. I am sorry your thread was hi-jacked like it was. I believe i have cleaned it up. Any further comments that do not pertain to the subject at hand, will be removed.

Thank you!

R & R Yard Designs
01-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey there guys i would just like to say that i am sorry for any things that i may have said. some people just made me very mad.. but it is one hell of a great idea, it is going to be very practical truck, great for city use:hammerhead:

DLCS
01-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Sweet, looks very nice. I built a flatbed on a Ford awhile back. I had alot of trouble with the tailights so I know what you went through with yours.

LindblomRJ
01-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Has anyone with the taillight problem thought about using the trailer light hook up? Leave the taillight harness disconnected.

Might be crazy.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Has anyone with the taillight problem thought about using the trailer light hook up? Leave the taillight harness disconnected.

Might be crazy.

If you unhook the tail lights, the lamp out function will still be tripped. I'm fixing the problem when I have my rear fascia added. Quite simply, I'm taking the light strip out of the tail light cover...then plasma cutting holes in the back plate so I can utilize the factory lights.

LindblomRJ
01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
That a good idea. When I added the flatbed to be old Ford I cut the wires from the harness to tail light and made the connection there. Then if I would remove the flatbed from the pickup I would unhook the harness.

mikes landscaping
01-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Your truck looks great, and i hope it works good for you.
-Pete

RedWolf
01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey Cut you ever think about putting your company name on the mudflaps your going to put on there? I had a set made for my F350 dump and for my chevy C20. I will try to put some pics up when i take them. I am redoing both trucks so they will be before pics. One last thing, How long did it take to have that bed fabed up? The bed on my chevy is in bad shape and I am thinking of going with a bed like you have.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Hey Cut you ever think about putting your company name on the mudflaps your going to put on there? I had a set made for my F350 dump and for my chevy C20. I will try to put some pics up when i take them. I am redoing both trucks so they will be before pics. One last thing, How long did it take to have that bed fabed up? The bed on my chevy is in bad shape and I am thinking of going with a bed like you have.

Please send some pics of your flaps...where did you get them from? My fab guy took about two weeks( he had a lot of work other than my rig to do). But being a 1500, it was kind of unconventional. If you are interested, I could give you his info. Actually, he's about to be a sponsor on lawnsite. He makes racks mostly. fabworks oem

PROCUT1
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Nice truck, nice bed, nice work. For some reason im just not feelin it all together... I like the concept but it just seems like something is missing to tie it all in together... Anyone else thinking that?

Dont take this post as a negative...Its not.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice truck, nice bed, nice work. For some reason im just not feelin it all together... I like the concept but it just seems like something is missing to tie it all in together... Anyone else thinking that?

Dont take this post as a negative...Its not.

It doesn't look done because it is not. I'm having under deck boxes,a headache rack, plus a new back bumper installed the last week of january.

PROCUT1
01-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I have the same problem with an older chevy that we built a wooden bed on it.....Its missing something but noone can figure out what...

Again Im in no way knocking your setup...Keep us updated on the progress. I have a couple of pickups that the beds have seen much better days and we;re trying to come up with some ideas what to do with them,

RedWolf
01-12-2007, 01:55 AM
I will try to get some pics of the flaps later today. I have the chevy striped to to frame and am going to sandblast and repaint the frame and cab. The pickup bed floor is rotted to the point of having no floor. I just rebuilt the motor and had the tranny redone(TH350) because it was getting bad. The ford the roof is rotted out but the rest of the cab is in great shape. The chevy is a 76 and the ford f350 is a 73. They both run and drive great now but the bodys need work. I work part time in my fathers body shop and he is cool with me working on my trucks there so I will get pics of the flaps and trucks. My buddy that did my decals did the mudflaps for me and only charged me 20 bucks. I had to get the mudflaps and i got them at napa for 14 or 15 bucks each.

CrewCutEnterprises
01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey I just want to comment.

Looks Vaugly similar to the one I built last winter. It will be the best thing EVER.
Very nice, dont forget all DOT lighting, flaps, bumper, bolts washers and safety pins.... See my whole build up in my signature, "Custom Flatbed" It might help you somehow
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70205&d=1167620967

bigcountry01
02-05-2007, 10:34 PM
:) never seen a flatbed truck with 20s

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Hey I just want to comment.

Looks Vaugly similar to the one I built last winter. It will be the best thing EVER.
Very nice, dont forget all DOT lighting, flaps, bumper, bolts washers and safety pins.... See my whole build up in my signature, "Custom Flatbed" It might help you somehow
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70205&d=1167620967

My truck is at the shop now getting the headache rack, back fascia, lights, and 4 under bed boxes installed. Two things I noticed about your bed was 1-How high the sides were(seems like it'd be hard to access stuff inside) and 2-lack of blower and hand equipent racks. I used my truck once on my mowing route and decided immediately that I needed much more off bed storage to keep from having to put S*** in the back seat of the truck. I'll post pics thursday. Wht kind of gate assist are you using? Mine has an open middle that saves some weight; but opening it alone is kind of weightlifterish.:weightlifter:

CrewCutEnterprises
02-06-2007, 09:42 AM
If you havent seen my thread click the custom flatbed link in my signature, we have a spot for 2 blowers 3 trimmers push mower built into the bed

Accu-cut Lawn Care
02-08-2007, 07:04 PM
here they are