PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to pick up a couple bank maintenance accounts...

fiveoboy01
01-11-2007, 12:22 AM
This happened this week.

There is a certain bank here in town, they are spread all over WI though. But there are two branches here in my town.

I e-mailed the branch manager to inquire about obtaining a maintenance contract. I introduced myself, gave a short rundown of the services I offer, and stated that I would like to place a bid for the upcoming season if they were accepting them.

The first e-mail I got back went like this:

"Thank you for your introduction. My first question, do you have a banking relationship with xxx Bank?"

Now, I saw where this was going right away. I have no accounts at this bank and neither does my partner, aside from him having one credit card issued by this bank.

So I replied that "no, I currently do not have any banking relationship with xxx Bank."

Predictably, this was his reply:

"We make every effort to utilize service providers who have a banking relationship with us."

Then he went on to say that if I was interested in opening an account, etc, to contact him and said have a nice day.

The exchange was pleasant, but I sat there puzzled.

Have most of you found that financial institutions are like this when it comes to obtaining accounts?

I do realize, that maybe he was not looking for a new LCO, and took the route to say "no" nicely.

I just think it's odd I guess. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

What do you guys think? Are a lot of banks like this?

robbo521
01-11-2007, 12:30 AM
sounds as if he was just being nice about telling you no.the banks around here are not like that and we have tons of them.

Albemarle Lawn
01-11-2007, 12:32 AM
so in return I opened an account and put over 60K in it.

They didn't ask me to open the account, totally voluntary; I just figure they would think twice before trying to find a lowballer. (or should I say someone cheaper, you wouldn't have to be a lowballer to undercut our prices. Expensive and proud of it. Expensive lawn care is sexy).

DLCS
01-11-2007, 12:36 AM
I had a bank ask me to bid and when i turned in my bid they said "we give preference to bidders who have an account at our bank. My reply was if I get the bid I will open up an account. I got the bid and I did open a account. The following year they gave the contract to a "friend of an employee" so I went in and closed the account and got my $50 back.:)

fiveoboy01
01-11-2007, 12:42 AM
And I thought about telling him that I would open an account IF I was allowed to bid and IF I got the contract.

But I wasn't sure I wanted to play that game, so I thanked him for his time instead.

LwnmwrMan22
01-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I maintain 7 banks, and yes, all of them have hinted in the past that I should open an account with them.

Where I DO do my banking though, I do NOT maintain that one though.

KTM 525
01-11-2007, 07:04 AM
You should try to find the facilities manager who is responsible for the maintenance of all the branches landscaping and cleaning service..ect.

We do several banks and it is not easy to get that work unless they have been having problems.

richard1103
01-11-2007, 07:18 AM
a lot of large banks go through out source company and screws over local contractors and gets apiece of pie
local manager has no control unless someone screws up

mattfromNY
01-11-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm in the same boat as LwnMwrMn, no account at the bank I maintain, no work at the bank I have my money in. I agree to an extent that one hand washes the other, and we should keep our money local, etc. , but if I had accounts at every place I try to maintain, I couldn't keep up with it all!!

mattfromNY
01-11-2007, 07:33 AM
The only thing I could see as an advantage, would be if they were to deposit your payment each month directly to your account. AND, they were VERY receptive to your business in terms of loan availability and little perks now and then. ie: free checking, interest bearing checking account, good overdraft protection, etc.

grandview (2006)
01-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I just picked up a snow plowing account like that. Told if I get the contract I'll open one up and I even told them to do direct deposit with the money. I send the bill and it's in the account in 3 days.

lawnboyblake
01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
I've tried to bid on some banks around here, for lawn and snow. The first thing they asked if I was a current customer, answer was no but could be switching over... Never heard a word from them after that:walking:

Tharrell
01-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Banking is one of the most competetive businesses. They'll do just about anything to get deposits.
Think about Mr. Drysdale from The Beverly Hillbillies when you think about bidding a bank.
There's so many potential customers out there, don't sweat one or two.

ed2hess
01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Banks are not the only people who want you to do business with them....we run into it at resturants. Last year one hotel wanted us to support a program of sending an employee to Disney. We put in $200 after talking to other vendors of the hotel. After that situation we began asking around at our other accounts and found out that we needed to be pitching in on a lot of stuff. Scratch my back deal.

dforbes
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Banks are not the only people who want you to do business with them....we run into it at resturants. Last year one hotel wanted us to support a program of sending an employee to Disney. We put in $200 after talking to other vendors of the hotel. After that situation we began asking around at our other accounts and found out that we needed to be pitching in on a lot of stuff. Scratch my back deal.

most commerial accounts in our area ask you to donate a prize for thier annual picnic, golf outing ect. I usually give a gift card from lowes or home depot, never had a bank ask me if I had an account with them, but as someone said before the banks around here farm out thier maintenace to a management company