PDA

View Full Version : Multnomuh Falls

PurpHaze
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
On our recent vacation up north the wife and I stopped to see Multnomuh Falls in the Columbia River Gorge area of Oregon on our way up to Yakima, WA. Neither of us had ever visted the falls during this time of year with mist freezing to the rocks almost as soon as it was formed. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

It was very cold and windy that day but I still had a couple of things jump out at me.

First picture is a Rainbird QCV in a rock wall, presumably to wash off the walkways during warmer weather.

Second picture is from the parking lot. Couldn't decide if this was a lateral line or some type of drain line.

cush
01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
No pics of the falls?

Flow Control
01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
When you vacation you don't even "vacation" :laugh:

Without A Drought
01-11-2007, 11:33 AM
The second picture is a little tacky. i see that alot, beit washout or roots, lines get pushed up quite often. though black poly is a little less unsighty than PVC.

the first one is rather interesting. while i would imagine there'd be a better place for the QVC, it's an unusual spot.

pg

sildoc
01-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Hayes,
Glad to see you made it back.

This is the problem we have with the stinking parks dept around here. I am assuming multnomah county is just like jackson county. Pays a huge amount on the landscaping but lacks budgeting the up keep. This is just like our library system. They built 8 brand new libraries 2 years ago and now they are shutting them down in april due to a lack of funds to keep them open. This is why our crappy govonor should have been fired. Too many state employees vote for their pocket book rather than what is good for the state.

paolaken
01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
where are the falls? i went on vacation and here's my pics. lol could of gone to the local mcdonalds and got pics like that.

PurpHaze
01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
All right smartasses. :laugh:

Here's the falls.

Dirty Water
01-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Thats damn cool. I'll have to check that out next time I head south.

Btw, Hayes, I ended up heading to Spokane on Saturday instead of Thursday, you know why, I'm glad everything is settled. What a way to end the year.

Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you and your boss (wife) :)

KCLandscape
01-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Great pics. Awsome wallpaper

PurpHaze
01-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Btw, Hayes, I ended up heading to Spokane on Saturday instead of Thursday, you know why, I'm glad everything is settled. What a way to end the year.

That's quite all right Jon. Family is much more important as a priority.

Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you and your boss (wife) :)

We'll be coming back up around May. The weather will be much better then and all the roads and passes will be easier to navigate. :)

paolaken
01-12-2007, 08:58 AM
very nice pics, waycool

PurpHaze
01-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Hayes, Glad to see you made it back.

Almost didn't make it back when we planned Doc. We got a late start home and ended up in your neck of the woods (Ashland) and spent the snowy night there. Then we headed up the Siskiyou grade the next morning, made it into CA and then had the alternator crap out on us just past the Collier rest area on the Klamath River as we started up the last grade before Yreka. Good thing was that we were only down for 2-1/2 hours total. CHP showed up fairly fast and pushed us to a wider spot in the road. Tow truck got there quick and towed us into Yreka to a great shop. OB and his guys had the alternator changed out and the battery recharged in 45 minutes. We then resumed the trip home via Antioch where our son and his wife live without any further problems.

If anyone ever has trouble along this stretch of highway look up Phil from Fred's Towing and OB's Auto Repair. Great guys and reasonable prices. :)

jsf343
01-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I live 12 min from there. I can tell you that the park is kept up but since it is in the gorge it is VERY difficult to keep that way. In the winter we tend to get a lot of high east winds. (anywhere from 15 to 75 mph SUSTAINED) these are not the gusts either. Todays winds are easily pushing 45 mph with gust upwards of 65. (that is here in the city NOT at the falls, would be stronger there)That is the main reason it looks a bit messy right now. Hard to keep the tree limbs, rock, and all other debris picked up because it is very often difficult to just stand out there. The pics you saw were early in the last cold spell, I wish you all could see the pics about 3 days later. It really is quite a site to behold. If any of you get the opportunity to go through there take the old highway (called the historic highway) and you will see about 6 other waterfalls that are also very beautiful, worth the trip!!

PurpHaze
01-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Multnomah Falls is beautiful regardless what time of year you are there. The old highway is a great scenic drive but I'd recommend stopping and taking the hikes to the other falls off it too. Then there's Onetta Gorge (sp???) that will get you wet as you hike to the back of it. Then go across the Columbia River on the Bridge of the Gods and hike up Beacon Rock on the WA side. :)

Don't forget the Bonneville Dam and the HUGE sturgeon in their pools.

sildoc
01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Multnomah Falls is beautiful regardless what time of year you are there. The old highway is a great scenic drive but I'd recommend stopping and taking the hikes to the other falls off it too. Then there's Onetta Gorge (sp???) that will get you wet as you hike to the back of it. Then go across the Columbia River on the Bridge of the Gods and hike up Beacon Rock on the WA side. :)

Don't forget the Bonneville Dam and the HUGE sturgeon in their pools.

DDDDDD did some one say sturgeon???
Love fighting the LOG fish. Caught one last year that measured 87 7/8" and problably weighted around 400-500 lbs. monster. couldn't keep him but what a time that 3 hours was.

PurpHaze
01-30-2007, 11:34 PM
They are truly monsters. And when you throw the Purina Sturgeon Chow into the pond the water just roils from all the thrashing.